Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Beans

Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Same type of issue with a Samsung SCX-4623f. It worked flawlessly in 11.04 and 11.10. I tried it from to different computers, one running 32 bit 12.04, and the other running 64 bit. I also have ia32-libs installed already. So that's not the cause.

The behavior is sporadic. At first it would print the first copy, but not the others. Then it wouldn't print at all. I tried logging in and out, re-installing the driver. Unplugging, and reconnecting the printer.

I connected it to a Win XP VM, and it printed without issues.

I think Canonical needs to rethink their release system. It's seems they're in a hurry to push the new releases out on time, rather than making sure they're working first. Of course it's my fault, really, for upgrading so soon after the release date. Foolish.

Beans

Update. At least in my case, it's a Unity or Gnome issue. I logged into KDE and was able to print without any problems.

Dangit. I was really starting to like this version of Unity too. I guess I'll go back to KDE for now, until I get this figured out.

Strange, though. Why would the DE effect printing?

I'd thought it may be the fact that I have both DEs installed and it's a conflict. But I have the same problem on my laptop, which only has Unity installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer Eldritch View Post
    Hello,

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for my venerable father, (87 years!) Cups unfortunately seems clearly broken on this OS release, and I was not able to setup functionally his Canon i-SENSYS mf4270 network printer. Meanwhile I've choose a Dell 3110cn also available on our network which works perfectly under this OS. (With 10.04 LTS Ubuntu version, Cups correctly handles this Canon printer...)

Does anyone have a solution?
    I don't know a solution, but I AGREE with you. 12.04 broke printing!

I have had zero problems with my printers using 10.04. But when I installed 12.04 I have not been able to get any of the printers to print.
    Idea #26902: Give users "global control" over applications' outgoing internet connections
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26902

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DMJ View Post
    Update. At least in my case, it's a Unity or Gnome issue. I logged into KDE and was able to print without any problems.
    I tried lxde and the problem persists. The message "Print file was not accepted." is in the /var/log/cups/errors and in the printer properties I have cups-ipp-missing-printer-state-reasons and cups-ipp-missing-valiadate-jobs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robertmarik View Post
    I tried lxde and the problem persists. The message "Print file was not accepted." is in the /var/log/cups/errors and in the printer properties I have cups-ipp-missing-printer-state-reasons and cups-ipp-missing-valiadate-jobs.
    It seems like there's more than one issue being described in this thread. What exactly is the behavior your getting in LXDE? LXDE is GTK+ based, so there are probably some common components with Unity.

Has anyone tried Gnome Shell, to see if the problem exists there as well?

I'm going to check out launchpad. I'd bet there's a bug report. I'll take a look at the log files as well, when I get the time.

My guess is that there's some process in Unity that's keeping cups busy so it's not able to process print jobs.

Beans

Angry Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

I have the same problem with Toshiba e-studio 4520 in Gnome Shell and in Unity too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jitro72 View Post
    I have the same problem with Toshiba e-studio 4520 in Gnome Shell and in Unity too.
    Has anyone else tried this in KDE. I'm interested to know if it works consistently there.

I checked out launchpad, and couldn't find any bug reports. Of course, I've never found the search there to work very well.

Strange that this doesn't appear to be more widespread. It must work fine for a lot of people. It could be particular drivers, but the same driver works for me in KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A lot of people seem to be having a problem with 12.04 and in particular Canon printers. Can we expect a solution to be forthcoming? the reason I ask is that I have been sitting on my hands waiting.
    Do I start attempting some hare-brained scheme of my own that I know will end in disaster and a complete re-install.
    Cheers old_dog

Beans

Exclamation Re: Cups seems broken under 12.04 LTS...

Quote Originally Posted by old_dog View Post
    Do I start attempting some hare-brained scheme of my own that I know will end in disaster and a complete re-install.
    Don't do it! I did two complete reinstalls of Precise after trying various suggestions to solve this problem. I ended up kust keeping an Oneiric installation in order to be able to print.

My printer is a Canon MP-620. My travails are documented here, probably in more than one thread.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast