Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start...

Beans

Where to start...

Not sure exactly where to start learning more stuff about Linux.. More or less I guess what I want to know is there anything more to learn then CLI?

(I already know basic commands)
    (I have a general knowledge of computers, sitting for my A+ and S+ cert shortly..)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Where to start...

Here you can find the Ubuntu help manual.

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/index.html

http://ubuntu-manual.org

Great resource for setting up certain tghings under Linux (like samba servers/apache etc..)
    http://www.howtoforge.com

Beans

Pick some elementry book on linux... you can start with Introduction to Linux A Hands on Guide by Machtelt Garrels

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    Not sure exactly where to start learning more stuff about Linux.. More or less I guess what I want to know is there anything more to learn then CLI?

(I have a general knowledge of computers, sitting for my A+ and S+ cert shortly..)
    Do a google search for linux training you'll find more that you can use in a year.

here one place to start:

https://www.linux.com/
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have found this to be an interesting and challenging aspect, not readily available within the win. environment: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware
    And before anyone 'jumps on my potatoes' try re-compiling the win7 kernel.

HTH,
    Side

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Anything in particular you'd like to do with it? i find it better to set a goal. then go about learning how to do it.. means you remember better..

things I did to learn how to get about the OS itself and the CLI:

1. set up an apache web server(LAMP Stack), made simple php home page, with a dynamic dns address.

2. create an ssh server and log in over the interwebz..

3. create a network file server. to share my "off site backup" copies of films and music over my network.

4. write a script to automatically send torrent files from the download folder of 1 computer, to the other. (use a cron job)

5. set up a vnc server to control my computer remotely over ssh

and i'd like to learn to use pulse audio to stream sound over my network.. but thts for after my finals..
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

When I started using linux I would, for every single GUI application I had available, look for equivalent command and read up on it until I knew how to use it.

Bash scripting is not a bad idea to look into although you may want to move toward Ruby/Python/Perl if programming interests you.

Trying all sort of other distributions is also fun, like for when you feel adventurous you can try compiling Gentoo..
    Last edited by iseijin; April 28th, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There is large list of command line learning resources in the sticky on top of this sub forum .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks guys and I said other than CLI Frog.. But thanks I will check this stuff out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks guys and I said other than CLI Frog.. But thanks I will check this stuff out.
    Try and learn the CLI.. I was afraid of it when I started. but its a God send once you get your head around it. There are tricks and stuff to it that make it far easier than you think.. (turns out those who made it where lazy like me! and made tricks etc to do the hard work..)

but again I would pick a goal and set toward achieving it...

if you code, try setting up netbeans and try running a simple java program. (No CLI needed)

or Qt Creator and run an simple C++ program.(again no CLI)

(I'm a coder so thats the sorta thing I did wen I started playin about on the OS.. )

or pick something you did on windows a lot and learn how it differs on ubuntu. What the different programs that can do it are. What features they have extra, what features they don't have. That sorta thing.

Like using GIMP instead of PHotoshop. Maybe put an image of you at the great wall of china, see how its different using GIMP.
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast