Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Hi, I'm new to linux, I've only been using it for a short period of time. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04, and stupidly didn't check if everything would work before upgrading. I am now stuck without working wifi. I'm not positive what my wireless card is, but the Broadcom STA wireless drivers seemed to work without any problems. My laptop is an acer aspire 5750G, running Ubuntu 12.04. When I go into the additional drivers section of system settings, the drivers show up, but when i click activate, it comes up with this error:

"Sorry, installation of this driver failed.

Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log"

I have no clue what this means. Help me Ubuntu forums, you're my only hope!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

A known issue is that jockey; also known as Additional Drivers, suggests the wrong driver for a few Broadcom cards. Let's find out what you have and solve it. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \. Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

here's what i got

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358]
    is that any help?

Beans
    Distro

Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM43227 802.11b/g/n [14e4:4358]
    Perfect!

With a temporary ethernet connection, please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
    After it's done, do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    If there is no error or warning, your wireless should be working.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

thank you so much! wifi is now up and running!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayssammich View Post
    thank you so much! wifi is now up and running!
    Awesome! Glad it's working. So that the searchers with a similar problem will find the solution, please use thread tools at the top to Mark Solved.

Note to searchers: If your pci.id is not 14e4:4358, then this may not work for you. Start a new thread or search for your specific pci.id.

Beans

Thanks CHILI555 I had the same problem with a Dell 630 after upgrade from v.11 to 12.04 and your suggestion worked for my machine as well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyzee View Post
    Thanks CHILI555 I had the same problem with a Dell 630 after upgrade from v.11 to 12.04 and your suggestion worked for my machine as well.
    Glad it helped and I'm glad it's working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Perfect!

With a temporary ethernet connection, please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
    After it's done, do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    If there is no error or warning, your wireless should be working.

This worked for me on an HP Mininote 5101. After upgrading to 12.04 from 11.10, which succeeded otherwise even though the upgrade process totally crashed at some point (mouse pointer locked up), the wireless connection didn't work. The STA driver wouldn't install, either.
    I did try different things before I ran the above commands, but it's a fact that after following chili555's advice, the wireless connection started working.
    The HP5101's wl card has a Broadcomm 43224 chip.
    It worked on earlier distributions, but never without somewhat of a fight, except perhaps after my first Ubuntu installation ... likely 8.04.
    Under 11.10 I had installed a kernel much newer than the one in Pangolin (testing if a problem with the use channel 13 had perhaps been solved in anewer kernel), but I kicked that out at one point when trying to get the wireless to work again.

Beans
    Distro

This worked for me on an HP Mininote 5101.
    Excellent! Glad it's working. Post back if we can help you further.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast