Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

@CortonaJ

I believe you want to look around the area of posts 27 to 33 or so of this same thread, to look at the blacklistings described.

Beans

Re: Broadcom STA Wireless drivers not working on Acer aspire 5750G, Ubuntu 12.04

I tried

sudo modprobe -r wl
    sudo modprobe -r bcma

but wl could not be found, so I did

sudo modprobe -r bcma
    sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac
    sudo apt-get install wl

it was installed but still doesn't work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I tried this for my Aspire one 722 with a BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless lAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)but with no luck.
    There is doubt as to the correct driver for this device. I have seen posts claiming that wl works; others claim brcmsmac is correct. Let's find out. First, we'll remove everything but wl:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r bcma
    sudo modprobe -r brcmsmac
    sudo modprobe wl
    iwconfig
    Do you have any errors or warnings to report? Do you have a wireless interface eth1? Can you connect? If so, stop and we'll make it permanent.

Now let's try brcmsmac:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r bcma
    sudo modprobe -r wl
    sudo modprobe brcmsmac
    iwconfig
    Do you have any errors or warnings to report? Do you have a wireless interface wlan0 or eth1? Can you connect?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

great, now working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Great, now working with which driver? Would you like to tweak a file or two so it works after a reboot??
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Yes certainly, it is working with brcmsmac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In order to get it to be persistent, so that you don't have to issue terminal commands every time you start the computer, please do:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo brcmsmac >> /etc/modules
    echo "blacklist bcma" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    exit
    The searchers and I appreciate the confirmation.

Beans

Did all of that, restarted and all is working fine.
    Thank you very much, not only for solving the problem but for giving me confidence to approach these things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CortonaJ View Post
    Did all of that, restarted and all is working fine.
    Thank you very much, not only for solving the problem but for giving me confidence to approach these things.
    I'm glad it's working and I'm glad to have had a part in your relatively painless introduction to Ubuntu Linux. Have fun and post back if we can help you again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Perfect!

With a temporary ethernet connection, please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall bcmwl-kernel-source
    After it's done, do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    If there is no error or warning, your wireless should be working.

This worked for me on an HP Mininote 5101. After upgrading to 12.04 from 11.10, which succeeded otherwise even though the upgrade process totally crashed at some point (mouse pointer locked up), the wireless connection didn't work. The STA driver wouldn't install, either.
    I did try different things before I ran the above commands, but it's a fact that after following chili555's advice, the wireless connection started working.
    The HP5101's wl card has a Broadcomm 43224 chip.
    It worked on earlier distributions, but never without somewhat of a fight, except perhaps after my first Ubuntu installation ... likely 8.04.
    Under 11.10 I had installed a kernel much newer than the one in Pangolin (testing if a problem with the use channel 13 had perhaps been solved in anewer kernel), but I kicked that out at one point when trying to get the wireless to work again.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast