Thread: ddate is missing

Beans

ddate is missing

After upgrading to 12.04 I find that ddate is missing. Searching for ddate on launchpad doesn't return anything, though the string is apparently mentioned in i3status.

Anybody have a clue on what happened to it or how to get it back?

Beans

Re: ddate is missing

Apparently it is missing from the Precise version of util-linux. (It's there in the Oneiric package.)

Beans

As you probably know, or maybe not, ddate has a long and checkered history. If you want a bit of context look through the util-linux Debian package changelog. You'll find gems such as this:

Code:
    * Drop ddate.  Closes: #149321, #174459, #180737
    Bug #149321 is a famous one and represents the core of the problem, i.e. some people with dubious moral compasses are easily offended by fictional/satirical religions. Needless to say common sense prevailed and ddate was put back in on the next version.

But a while ago it was nipped in the bud (upstream) when someone at Red Hat made building it optional:

Code:
    build-sys: add --enable-ddate

Don't build this crazy thing by default.

Signed-off-by: Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>
    Nice.

So there you have it, you now have to build util-linux with --enable-ddate to get it. I think I'll start to separate distros on the basis of whether or not they use this flag when building the package.

Beans

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I knew that there had been some attempts to remove it in the past.

Do you think a bug report would do any good or is its absence intentional by Ubuntu?

Beans

I don't believe it was intentional, the build defaults just changed and the maintainer probably doesn't use ddate so it went unnoticed.

There's already a bug (#988925) open on launchpad which I updated with the information I mentioned previously.

Beans

Thanks for all of the useful information. I successfully built my own util-linux with ddate enabled. Hopefully this gets fixed in Ubuntu's repositories soon.

I'll mark this thread as solved, since I have recovered ddate on my system and the ultimate resolution of the problem depends on action taken on the bug report.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    Thanks for all of the useful information.
    +1. For a moment, I had memories of a similarly named MS-DOS utility that performed an almost entirely unrelated function, and needed to look it up!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have solved this by installing the Debian package of util-linux, as the ddate flag seems to be the only difference with the Ubuntu one.
    But this crazy inquisitor at Fedora/Red Hat/upstream (Karel Zak) has serious intentions of removing ddate whatsoever in the future... http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-lis.../msg01725.html

We must stop them!
    Hail Eris!
    Omnia sunt communia.