Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Windows user giving Linux another look

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    25

    Windows user giving Linux another look

    So, it seems that every so often I get curious and decide to look into Linux. This time I first decided to try it out in a virtual machine on my desktop (which I will keep Windows on, as I play a lot of games). Well, after that I went over to my laptop, backed up my data and wiped Windows from it. My laptop is now running Ubuntu 12.04 and runs a lot better than it did with Windows 7. So, let me list the things I have enjoyed about Ubuntu Linux;

    1: Boot-up times. Seriously, it loads a lot faster than Windows 7 did, and once on the desktop programs load quite fast.

    2: Great for school/office use and web browsing. I'm currently attending college over the internet, and Ubuntu came with most of the programs I needed to get my work done. Only downside isn't even Ubuntu's fault; there's a program called LabSim that I use for my computer classes, and after failing to get WINE to work with it, decided to install Windows XP into a virtual machine to run it.

    3: Ubuntu Software Center. Having a central place to browse and download programs I may want/need is very nice. Then there's the fact that once I find a program I want, I just have to click the Install button and it sets up automatically along with any dependencies it may need. No multiple clicks through an installation program like in Windows.

    There are a few things I do like Windows 7 over Ubuntu, like the way I can mouse-over a program in the taskbar and see a thumbnail of it, but it's not exactly a vital function. Also, I am still learning my way around Ubuntu (if anyone can tell me if there's anything like Windows' Local Security Policy in Ubuntu, I'd appreciate it), but overall, for what I use my laptop for, the Linux alternatives work great, and it runs faster than Windows did. As for my desktop, however, I will keep Windows 7 on it. There's just too much I do, gaming being the major activity, on my desktop to switch. For my laptop, however, Ubuntu just became its main OS.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Welcome to Ubuntu, mate.

    For some reasons, I love to help newbies, they remind me of how much I was amazed when I first saw Ubuntu (Just in october, in fact ^^") . ;P
    About the thumbnails, do you know about Compiz, yet? It manage all the amazing visual effects that Ubuntu have! To install it, go to the software center, and type "Compiz"; then install "CompizConfig", and launch it like any normal applications.

    Be aware that Compiz is powerful, and it can break your desktop. I manage to recover it myself when it happen, but just be careful. To add the thumbnails:

    - In the Extras category, click on the button "Windows previews";
    - Then just tick the box "Activate Windows Previews". Done! (For some reasons, the thumbnails won't show up if you tweaked the dock to have it on the bottom of the screen)

    And you haven't paid a cent..

    Enjoy Ubuntu !
    Last edited by GameX2; April 28th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    25

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    Welcome to Ubuntu, mate.

    For some reasons, I love to help newbies, they remind me of how much I was amazed when I first saw Ubuntu (Just in october, in fact ^^") . ;P
    About the thumbnails, do you know about Compiz, yet? It manage all the amazing visual effects that Ubuntu have! To install it, go to the software center, and type "Compiz"; then install "CompizConfig", and launch it like any normal applications.

    Be aware that Compiz is powerful, and it can break your desktop. I manage to recover it myself when it happen, but just be careful. To add the thumbnails:

    - In the Extras category, click on the button "Windows previews";
    - Then just tick the box "Activate Windows Previews". Done! (For some reasons, the thumbnails won't show up if you tweaked the dock to have it on the bottom of the screen)

    And you haven't paid a cent..

    Enjoy Ubuntu !
    Oh, cool! I'll give that a try, then, thanks! Also, any idea if there's a "Local Security Policy" equivalent in Ubuntu? I like to fine-tune security settings.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Beans
    184
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    3: Ubuntu Software Center. Having a central place to browse and download programs I may want/need is very nice. Then there's the fact that once I find a program I want, I just have to click the Install button and it sets up automatically along with any dependencies it may need. No multiple clicks through an installation program like in Windows.
    The Software Center has most things you would ever want but probably not all. There are plenty of apps that aren't in the official repos (especially the non-open-source variety). A couple that come to mind are Skype and Opera...but both of those (and many others you may want) are still dead simple to install. Go to their website and click the download links (they know you run Ubuntu) and a click or two later you're done.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    141

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    Also, any idea if there's a "Local Security Policy" equivalent in Ubuntu? I like to fine-tune security settings.
    Not as such. You can do individual things to enhance security, like running a firewall and installing noscript in firefox to diable un-needed (and possibly malicious) scripts. There are lots of other things, like making sure that remote desktop stuff is disabled, making sure you have a good password, etc.

    But: There's a fine line between usability and security. It's already quite secure, although I'm a little more paranoid.

    For more detailed info on locking-down your system, look at threads in the security section.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by Version Dependency View Post
    The Software Center has most things you would ever want but probably not all. There are plenty of apps that aren't in the official repos (especially the non-open-source variety). A couple that come to mind are Skype and Opera...but both of those (and many others you may want) are still dead simple to install. Go to their website and click the download links (they know you run Ubuntu) and a click or two later you're done.
    Yes, these are .DEB files, the easiest to install.
    Just open them, and they redirect you to a page of the software center.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    25

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinnerd View Post
    Not as such. You can do individual things to enhance security, like running a firewall and installing noscript in firefox to diable un-needed (and possibly malicious) scripts. There are lots of other things, like making sure that remote desktop stuff is disabled, making sure you have a good password, etc.

    But: There's a fine line between usability and security. It's already quite secure, although I'm a little more paranoid.

    For more detailed info on locking-down your system, look at threads in the security section.
    Ah well, that's fine. I'll take a look in the security section, then. Thanks. Also yeah, not everything is in the software center, and it's pretty easy to download and double-click on a .deb file to install software.

    I installed CompizConfig and enabled Windows Previews, it's nice having that little feature again. I'll make sure to take care using it, I don't want to break my desktop. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with how well Ubuntu is running on my laptop, it's come a long ways since I tinkered with Linux in the past.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinnerd View Post
    Not as such. You can do individual things to enhance security, like running a firewall and installing noscript in firefox to diable un-needed (and possibly malicious) scripts. There are lots of other things, like making sure that remote desktop stuff is disabled, making sure you have a good password, etc.

    But: There's a fine line between usability and security. It's already quite secure, although I'm a little more paranoid.

    For more detailed info on locking-down your system, look at threads in the security section.
    Also, I would recommend you to protect your system against the forkbombs; in a terminal (CTRL-ALT-T), type this, which will open a file:

    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf
    Right before # End of file add this line:

    Code:
    *              hard    nproc           100
    This limit the number of process the system will handle (here, the limit is 100 processes). You might want to change 100 to 200 or 250. Save the file, then test the command:

    Code:
    ulimit -u
    It should show the number you've put in the previous file. Reboot, that's all!


    EDIT: Well, if you break your desktop, it's recoverable (not so hard, depending on the situation), ask here and we'll help!

    Just a tip: if Ubuntu freeze, or is your desktop is unusable - like you can't logout, type CTRL-ALT-PrintScreen-K. This will force quit the session (kill). Don't worry, it keep all your settings and doesn't reset anything. Seriously useful when freezes randomly happen.
    Last edited by GameX2; April 28th, 2012 at 04:52 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,617
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    I'm not sure that is strictly necessary.

    The best protection against forkbombs is to only allow shh access with keys and to not type/paste random things you see on the internet into your terminal without first understanding what they will do.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Beans
    25

    Re: Windows user giving Linux another look

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    I'm not sure that is strictly necessary.

    The best protection against forkbombs is to only allow shh access with keys and to not type/paste random things you see on the internet into your terminal without first understanding what they will do.
    Good advice for anything, really; know what you're doing before you do it. On that note, I just found a list of 7 things not to do in Linux that I'm going to read over so I don't go making any dumb mistakes in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •