Thread: How close to Irfanview or Fastone Image Viewer can I get w/o Wine

Beans

How close to Irfanview or Fastone Image Viewer can I get w/o Wine

I just need a simple editing app that will allow me to draw lines on a photo and then annotate with text. The catch is that I need to draw one line and then clone that line and place it above the first line to create a parallel channel.

I can do this easily in Fastone Image Viewer, which is what I've been using on the Windows side of my dual boot. And I did have Fastone installed under Play On Linux but I could never find the files after editing and saving.

I have been using Kolourpaint, but if there's a way to create a cloned line with it, I can't figure it out. If I have to, I'll stay with Kolourpaint because I don't need anything like GIMP.

I've also tried the following, without success:

XnView, which is no longer in the software center.

RawTherapee

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How close to Irfanview or Fastone Image Viewer can I get w/o Wine

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis6767 View Post
    I just need a simple editing app that will allow me to draw lines on a photo and then annotate with text. The catch is that I need to draw one line and then clone that line and place it above the first line to create a parallel channel.
    I can't think of a simple Linux program that will do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis6767 View Post
    I can do this easily in Fastone Image Viewer, which is what I've been using on the Windows side of my dual boot. And I did have Fastone installed under Play On Linux but I could never find the files after editing and saving.
    Since Irfanview and Faststone both will run at native speed in wine why not go ahead and use it.

Did you save the files to a particular folder with the proper extension or did you just choose save? Try save as and go to the folder you want to save to..
    Colyn

My photography website: http://www.colynsfotografs.com

Beans

Re: How close to Irfanview or Fastone Image Viewer can I get w/o Wine

Thanks for your response. I may end up using Wine.

In POL I just had a virtual C drive to store things. When trying to find a place to save the file I was just given options within that virtual drive. After shutting down POL and then searching for the file, I was unable to find it. I basically wanted to upload the file to Picasa.

I only tried a couple of times and gave up. Maybe using Wine will be different.