Thread: GTK3 in KDE?

Beans

GTK3 in KDE?

I've been thinking about switching to KDE, but their's one thing I really need if I'm going to switch. I need to be able to use GTK3 theming in KDE, including using a custom GTK theme. I know I can do that if I use Compiz in KDE, but I'm planning on using Kwin because it seems like it might be a bit faster. Not sure though, so if you have experience of Compiz being faster I'll just go with that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GTK3 in KDE?

Compiz in the latest KDE is quite buggy if not nearly a no go, as far as I am aware.
    Kwin is the way to go if using KDE in 12.04.
    As far as your GTK3 theme is concerned, the colour scheme in application appearance is totally configurable, so I am sure it won't be too difficult to replicate your GTK theme.

Beans

So there is no way to force it to use GTK3? I really doubt I can recreate it just by changing the colors around, I combined the double left arrow minimize ambiance tweak with the ambiance square borders tweak to make an ambiance with square borders AND double left arrow for minimize (Though I'll rotate it to point down when i switch). And I recall from my one time using KDE that the QT theming was really inflexible. Anyone else have a way?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've never tried forcing kde to use a GTK Theme, you could use a Kubuntu live usb, and try it.
    Personally I'd stick to kde themes though, there's so much to choose from that i'm sure something will appeal to you.
    IMO kde is also a lot more stable at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Hi I am a long time KDE user so maybe I can advice.

Gtk3 theme is currently not possible in Kubuntu 12.04 but will be in 12.10. Using the gnome configuration tools should change the theme in KDE as well though. GTK 2 themes can be configured in KDE system settings in 12.04.

Kwin is definitely the way to go and outperforms compiz by a lot especially if you use an older graphics chip like GMA 950.

In general though there are plenty of really nice QT applications so you don't need to rely on GTK that much.

Some GTK applications like Chrome / Chromium integrate perfectly with KDE.

Beans

Alright, thanks. I'm sure I can find a QT recreation of the ambiance theme and tweak it to my needs to have the double left arrow minimize and square borders.