Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Abandons Desktop and Corporate Users

Beans

Thumbs down Ubuntu Abandons Desktop and Corporate Users

Given Ubuntu has chosen to force their ultimate "Unity or nothing" approach on the Linux community it is time to find a replacement distro.

The overly simplistic user interface is entirely inappropriate for users who make their living on a computer, especially with lots of screen space. The lack of functionality and loss of ease-of-use is intolerable. Further, requiring special procedures and extra work to switch from Unity to GNome is expensive and time-consuming for clients with many systems. And those users do not trust Ubuntu to continue supporting GNome.

Ubuntu has lost it's way which is very disappointing. Shuttleworth says "Unity is here to stay". That is the downfall of Ubuntu that will destroy the organization.

NO ONE is going to replace the O/S shipped on a touchy wireless toy device in favor of Unity - and Unity is useless on a desktop. So where does that leave Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Abandons Desktop and Corporate Users

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

sudo apt-get install <INSERT DESKTOP ENVIROMENT OF CHOICE>
    /thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not sure where you get Unity or nothing?

I am running fallback mode and if that was the default there would be only a few minor complaints as a couple of things are in slightly different locations.

You can install easily

gnome-session-fallback or gnome-panel- which is almost gnome2
    or
    gnome3
    or
    and any of the other versions always offered:
    kubuntu-desktop (the whole kde environment)
    xubuntu-desktop (the whole xfce4 environment)
    lubuntu-desktop (the whole LXDE desktop environment)
    edubuntu-desktop (the whole kids/schools oriented gnome environment)
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm confused. I fire up the Software Center and I have literally DOZENS of different desktop environments and window managers to choose from. There are half a dozen or so NEW options that weren't there when the last LTS was released.

So enough with the whining. Heck, I don't like KDE....never have. But I've never ever started a thread or posted a blog telling the world how much it sucks or telling the people that develop it or use it that they are wrong for doing so. I mean, seriously...I'd have to have some kind of mental condition to act that way, right?
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Not sure where you get Unity or nothing?
    From what we've read Ubuntu is going to drop GNome support entirely in favor of Unity. Is that accurate?

Commercial users do not perform major upgrades often. It's just too expensive. So if Unity will soon be the only reasonable user interface for Ubuntu my corporate clients want to switch away now and pay for the major upgrade once.

Even with the 12 release a user must go through special customization procedures to get GNome installed and tweaked. But when they have 700 desktops to touch those steps are just too costly.

Again - Ubuntu needs a GNome-based distro, otherwise it just isn't worth it.

Beans

Do corporate users really use ubuntu anyway? Wouldn't they use something like red hat, suse, or debian stable before even considering ubuntu?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rockney View Post
    From what we've read Ubuntu is going to drop GNome support entirely in favor of Unity. Is that accurate?
    Are you trolling? Unity is built on Gnome 3. How can they not support Gnome? It makes no sense. And I'm sure you (and the other people you claim as "we") didn't read that anywhere.

Even with the 12 release a user must go through special customization procedures to get GNome installed and tweaked. But when they have 700 desktops to touch those steps are just too costly.
    Most of Gnome 3 is installed on the system already...just not the Gnome Shell and Gnome Classic interfaces. They can both be installed with one click (installs both) in the Software Center. The download takes a few seconds.

Why not actually take a few minutes and install 12.04 in a virtualbox and test these things out before complaining about them here? You would see how silly your post is after doing so.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

Commercial users do not perform major upgrades often. It's just too expensive. So if Unity will soon be the only reasonable user interface for Ubuntu my corporate clients want to switch away now and pay for the major upgrade once.

Rubbish. Less things for people to see, less things desk monkeys can screw up. Just because people are employed to use basic spreadsheets (emplates) and databases for invoicing doesn't mean they need everything and the kitchen sink.

Ubuntu needs a gnome based distro? Like Gnome 3? Hows that any harder / different to Unity corporation wise?

If your ranting that Ubuntu needs Gnome 2 distro, your ranting to the wrong people. Go rant at the Gnome Foundation.

Beans

If you want a strictly Gnome-based distro, try Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu and uses Gnome3. Debian uses Gnome as well.

I'm using 12.04 with gnome-fallback and it looks pretty darned similar to 10.04. And really, how many of those 700 users actually tweak anything more than their desktop background and have wanda the fish?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast