Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 upgrade failed

Beans

12.04 upgrade failed

I have 2 drives... one containing a old version of Studio Ubuntu (which I am using now)

My main drive contained the last version of Ubuntu.... I got the upgrade message... So let it upgrade to 12.04

I got a black desktop (no unity menu's) with the handful of files I had on the desktop.

I get an error message about not finding the Keyboard ? ...when Ubuntu detected a problem seconds later it was unable to send the collated bug report. Ubuntu suggested a reboot....
    It wont reboot into the 12.04 OS .....

I am now downloading the boot-repair disk which helped me out in the past to try to salvage 12.04

any other ideas ?

Beans

Re: 12.04 upgrade failed

You can create a live bootable USB of Ubuntu 12.04, and migrate the data from the system that won't boot onto Ubuntu Studio. Then I would wipe the old Ubuntu parition that is giving you issues, and reinstall clean: (just go down the list)

http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012...cise-pangolin/

Quote Originally Posted by its_jon View Post
    I have 2 drives... one containing a old version of Studio Ubuntu (which I am using now)

My main drive contained the last version of Ubuntu.... I got the upgrade message... So let it upgrade to 12.04

I got a black desktop (no unity menu's) with the handful of files I had on the desktop.

I get an error message about not finding the Keyboard ? ...when Ubuntu detected a problem seconds later it was unable to send the collated bug report. Ubuntu suggested a reboot....
    It wont reboot into the 12.04 OS .....

I am now downloading the boot-repair disk which helped me out in the past to try to salvage 12.04

any other ideas ?
    Last edited by techsupport; April 27th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

I have enough space on the StudioUbuntu drive to copy my entire Home folder across (from UbuntuStudio)

The only other thing I would want to salvage would be my Evolution Email history/contacts
    How do I back that up from UbuntuStudio then reinstall on a fresh 12.04 drive ?

Beans

I have enough space on the StudioUbuntu drive to copy my entire Home folder across (from UbuntuStudio)

The only other thing I would want to salvage would be my Evolution Email history/contacts
    How do I back that up from UbuntuStudio then reinstall on a fresh 12.04 drive ?
    You have to do backups before you attempt to upgrade your system to the next release. I don't use evolution for my mail unfortunately, so I don't know. There should be something like a PST file you can create in evolution to backup your mail client. If you created a backup of your evolution data, then you would need to search for that file name.

Beans

Im just a normal user.

No warning appeared about backing up files before I clicked the upgrade button .... Will search for the file you suggest ... thanks

Beans

Im just a normal user.

No warning appeared about backing up files before I clicked the upgrade button .... Will search for the file you suggest ... thanks
    Yeah no, everyone has to do backups before upgrading their distro. Windows, Macs, Linux, whatever. You always backup your stuff before you do seriously major changes to your system. I'm sorry buddy. That's reality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hey, at least you have the backup system All your evolution files should be under your /home folder, perhaps hidden. If you copy it all over you should have the evolution stuff as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Monotoko View Post
    Hey, at least you have the backup system All your evolution files should be under your /home folder, perhaps hidden. If you copy it all over you should have the evolution stuff as well.
    So....

In Theory

1) Copy over my entire Home folder to the working StudioUbuntu

2) Download and burn to CD a freshly downloaded 12.04

3) Boot to CD

4) Select to wipe and freshly install 10.04 to my unbootable drive

5) Reinstall Evolution on 12.04

4) Copy over my Home Folder back to 12.04

Fixed ? including my Evolution database ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It depends whether the upgrade killed your home, but at least you have the data there to sift through and copy back as/when you need it.

Your evolution files should just import back over. You may want to check where they are located for sure, I'm 99% sure it's in your home but still.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Monotoko View Post
    It depends whether the upgrade killed your home, but at least you have the data there to sift through and copy back as/when you need it.

Your evolution files should just import back over. You may want to check where they are located for sure, I'm 99% sure it's in your home but still.
    I concur! That is the plan for now.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast