Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Hi,

first and foremost thanks for your post, clear walk-trough.

I have a problem with the clock, I cannot change it from 12h to 24h. I tried using the "Date and Time" in "System Settings", see attached printscreen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ps.
    to change easily the fonts size, icons visibility in desktop and some other things, I have been using "gnome-tweak-tool" which appears in
    Applications -> System Tools - Preferences -> Advanced Settings
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I've found that the standard clock applet works better than the one in 'indicator-applet-complete'. I displayed the difference between the three indicator applets here:

Indicator_applets_and_clock.jpg

I use only the lower panel but made a new top panel just to display the difference. And you can see center screen how the standard clock applet adjusts.

Does that help?

Beans

This is really, really nice. I love what you've done. I have two questions, though.

1. Is there a simple rule that covers how to undo any or all of the commands?

2. I still like the Applications Places System structured menu. It's one of the big things that got me here in the first place. Do you have any idea how to get the System menu back? (I've spent a LOT of time looking for documentation, and so far it's all either incredibly unhelpful or it doesn't seem to apply any more.) Any hints?

Beans

I do have one thing to add to the thread, though. I looked at screensavers. I think you can add the xscreensaver, but I really don't recommend it. A lot of screensavers will lock up the display, especially on an older computer. It might have something with timing and interaction with power management, but there appears to be a reason why Canonical has thrown it out. It's a shame, because I do have some nice screensavers on Natty (and some that will lock it up).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    This is really, really nice. I love what you've done. I have two questions, though.

1. Is there a simple rule that covers how to undo any or all of the commands?

2. I still like the Applications Places System structured menu. It's one of the big things that got me here in the first place. Do you have any idea how to get the System menu back? (I've spent a LOT of time looking for documentation, and so far it's all either incredibly unhelpful or it doesn't seem to apply any more.) Any hints?
    About your question #1:

Most of my configuration commands do include how to revert to the individual defaults, but I do plan on adding a bit about renaming the hidden dot folders in /home to restore all of the defaults.

Most of the package installation or removal instructions should be so simple to revert that I think it's pointless to add much bloat to my instructions. Even step #1 installs very few packages:

alacarte
    cups-pk-helper
    gir1.2-gconf-2.0
    gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0
    gnome-applets
    gnome-applets-data
    gnome-panel
    gnome-panel-data
    gnome-session-fallback
    indicator-applet-complete
    libpanel-applet-4-0 python-gmenu

That aside I do already say that, "I also plan on adding some helpful hints, such as how to restore all defaults, how to speed up the process for repetitive conversions, etc. Just be a bit patient"

Regarding your question #2 the menus have just changed a bit, but Sys Admin and Prefs are still there:

sys_men.jpg

Once you get used to it you should be fine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    I do have one thing to add to the thread, though. I looked at screensavers. I think you can add the xscreensaver, but I really don't recommend it. A lot of screensavers will lock up the display, especially on an older computer. It might have something with timing and interaction with power management, but there appears to be a reason why Canonical has thrown it out. It's a shame, because I do have some nice screensavers on Natty (and some that will lock it up).
    Ubuntu is using 'gnome-screensaver' which has changed a lot, not 'xscreensaver'. I have no intention of including instructions on how to change to xscreensaver. I think a blank screen is fine, just not when you're trying to watch a video or something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Regarding your question #2 the menus have just changed a bit, but Sys Admin and Prefs are still there:
    Yes, I guess they are, although the "Help...", "About" entries, lock, logout, shutdown entries are scattered somewhere else. I just found the System menu at the top level to be so simple and logical that I (still) think it ought to be restored. I thought you might have a hint about how that menu panel is put together, but thanks anyway.

EDIT: I see they fixed it somewhat, but I still prefer the actual Gnome 2 layout by a wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    About your question #1:
    Yes, sorry, I forgot you already mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob
    Ubuntu is using 'gnome-screensaver' which has changed a lot, not 'xscreensaver'. I have no intention of including instructions on how to change to xscreensaver.
    Sorry if I'm inadverting cluttering your thread, but some people miss the screensavers. I was just pointing out that you can install them, but they might not work.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; May 14th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Beans

Yes, I guess they are, although the "Help...", "About" entries, lock, logout, shutdown entries are scattered somewhere else. I just found the System menu at the top level to be so simple and logical that I (still) think it ought to be restored. I thought you might have a hint about how that menu panel is put together, but thanks anyway.
    That really is a design decision made by the Gnome devs. It's just something beyond my control. If you open Main Menu there is an option to create a new menu so I suppose it would be possible to change the entire menu as one wished .............. if they were willing to spend hours doing so

Yes, sorry, I forgot you already mentioned that.
    No problem, I'm just busy and haven't had much desk time lately.

Sorry if I'm inadverting cluttering your thread, but some people miss the screensavers. I was just pointing out that you can install them, but they might not work.
    I'm not worried about "clutter". But I don't want to maintain anything regarding changing from gnome-screensaver to xscreensaver. It's simply not something I actually care about and I have too much on my plate already

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for a superb tutorial, kansasnoob!

Re: Step #10

Is it also possible to display an icon for LibreOffice Writer on the Desktop?

Beans

Thanks for this thread. Very helpful.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast