Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

I have a HP printer, and so HPToolbox is started automatically at login. However, I then get a dialog box (titled: HPLIP Status Service) that states:

Code:
    No System tray detected on this system.
    Unable to start, exiting.
    Any ideas how I create a 'System Tray' ?

I was also hoping to get rid of the panel on the bottom of the screen, and put all the widgets in the top panel, but I don't seem to have been able to do this. Again, any reason why I cannot do this ?
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Some backgroun: I am using the Unity part of 12.04LTS. I now have 12.04LTS installed on three of my computers (desktop, laptop, netbook). Somehow I got UTweaks to do quick lists to work on my laptop with LibreOffice, but I can't get it to work on my desktop, and I have not tried to do it with my netbook yet, but I will.

Yes there is a problem witht he LibreOffice icon and setting up quick lists. I still don't know how I got it to work on my laptop.

Maybe I will have to try the "Classic" rendition?
    System76 Lemur Laptop,12GB RAM,250GB SSD w/U16.04LTS
    White Box Computer:GigabyteGA-A75-UD4H MB,AMD A6-3670 APU,1TB SSHD, 16GB RAM,U16.04LTS
    AcerAspireOneNetbook725 6GB RAM,250GB SSD,U16.04LTS
    AcerAspireOneNetbookAO150,1.5GB RAM,120GB HD,U14.04LTS

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jlh68 View Post
    Some backgroun: I am using the Unity part of 12.04LTS. I now have 12.04LTS installed on three of my computers (desktop, laptop, netbook). Somehow I got UTweaks to do quick lists to work on my laptop with LibreOffice, but I can't get it to work on my desktop, and I have not tried to do it with my netbook yet, but I will.

Yes there is a problem witht he LibreOffice icon and setting up quick lists. I still don't know how I got it to work on my laptop.

Maybe I will have to try the "Classic" rendition?
    I think you should start a new thread specific to that problem. There should be no need to change DE's just to get a Libre Office quicklist working and it seems that it could be problematic even with Xubuntu

I don't use Libre/Open Office but rather abiword/gnome-office so I'm useless when it comes to LibreOffice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    I have a HP printer, and so HPToolbox is started automatically at login. However, I then get a dialog box (titled: HPLIP Status Service) that states:

Code:
    No System tray detected on this system.
    Unable to start, exiting.
    Any ideas how I create a 'System Tray' ?

I was also hoping to get rid of the panel on the bottom of the screen, and put all the widgets in the top panel, but I don't seem to have been able to do this. Again, any reason why I cannot do this ?
    I had to install 'hplip-gui' to see the systray problem you're describing. It seems like this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ip/+bug/689705

But I think I can come up with a work-around. Just be patient .......... I just finished Quantal Alpha 1 iso-testing and I'm cooked

You should be able to remove and/or add panels as described in my OP though

Remember it's now Alt + Right click with classic (no effects), and Alt + Super + Right click with standard classic to edit panels/menus in Gnome 3

Beans

I finally had a chance to look at 'hplip-gui' in Precise classic (no effects) and it works OK for me with either 'indicator-applet' or 'indicator-applet-complete':

Screenshot from 2012-06-07 21:13:04.png

Edit: I'm performing some testing that requires rebooting frequently and the behavior is inconsistent. That is sometimes I still get the "No System tray detected on this system" so I need to do some more studying on that and possibly file a new bug report.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; June 8th, 2012 at 03:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I finally had a chance to look at 'hplip-gui' in Precise classic (no effects) and it works OK for me with either 'indicator-applet' or 'indicator-applet-complete':

Screenshot from 2012-06-07 21:13:04.png

Edit: I'm performing some testing that requires rebooting frequently and the behavior is inconsistent. That is sometimes I still get the "No System tray detected on this system" so I need to do some more studying on that and possibly file a new bug report.
    Hi, thanks for looking into this. I was able to come up with a workaround - simple but rather clunky.

In the startup applications, instead of simply
    Code:
    hp-systray
    I put:
    Code:
    sh -c "sleep 15; exec hp-systray"
    it seems that it just wants to start way too quickly !

Many thanks
    'I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
    Hi, thanks for looking into this. I was able to come up with a workaround - simple but rather clunky.

In the startup applications, instead of simply
    Code:
    hp-systray
    I put:
    Code:
    sh -c "sleep 15; exec hp-systray"
    it seems that it just wants to start way too quickly !

Many thanks
    This is good to know

I'm trying to update a bunch of stuff in my OP and I'll add a link to this work around.

Right now I'm trying to figure what's causing 'gnome-panel' crashes

It appears to only happen if I have two panels, but not if I have just one panel

Sometimes it's almost mind numbing trying to gain ground .......... two steps forward and one step backwards!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm currently working on a number of things I wanted to share here:

Checking the proper CLI method to set the default session:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1994800

Adding CLI info to step #3:

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2"
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "disabled"
    But I'd prefer using "unset" in the latter command, maybe "--recursive-unset". But I'm still testing that so color me clueless so far.

Adding CLI info to step #4:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled true
    Again, I haven't added that because I haven't sufficiently tested it.

I'd like to replace step #8 with changing settings rather than removing packages, maybe:

Code:
    echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile
    Once again, NOT adequately tested. But hopefully that will make the change effect only the user logged in rather than breaking the 'overlay-scrollbars' for all users.
    I'm still testing some of this. Two reasons:

(1) I want to complete some instructions for expediting the procedure for multiple conversions or reinstallations.

(2) I maintain a fairly large number of PC's, some for multiple user households and some users prefer logging into Unity, while another member of the same household may want to use a classic DE. This also extends to the 'overlay-scrollbars' so I want to get away from removing them if possible
    Last edited by kansasnoob; June 9th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Beans

Thought I should add just a bit about expediting the conversion process from Unity to Gnome classic (no effects) for those who might need to perform multiple or repetitive installations and/or conversions, but this should only be considered general instruction - no commands are intended to be just copied-n-pasted! In fact I'm using quote tags in order to better display what I'm doing rather than the more appropriate code tags.

I'm actually tempted to say this should only be used by advanced users, those who already have fairly in-depth CLI knowledge, but I knew nothing about the CLI in 2007 and look at me now. I'm still learning, but I now maintain over 40 PC's very few of which are identical duplicates, so I had to learn how to expedite some processes and once you've learned the CLI you'll find that it's your friend. Just remember, if you break it you own it! I can only share what little knowledge I possess, no more and no less.

First of all some of the commands shown in my OP deal with installing packages using "apt" and the rest deal only with changing the existing configuration files either using gconftool-2 or gsettings. If we want to expidite the process, we must first have all of the needed packages installed. In step #2 of my OP you can see that I'm actually installing two packages, 'indicator-applet' and 'indicator-applet-session', with one command:

sudo apt-get install indicator-applet indicator-applet-session
    There is virtually no limit to the number of packages that can be installed by running one such command so once you've decided what packages you want to install they can all just be added to the "string". In my OP only steps #1, #2, #7 involve installing packages that are available from Ubuntu's own repositories so I could just add them all together:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme
    But I know I'm also going to want 'caffeine', 'indicator-sensors', 'zukitwo-theme-all', and 'zukitwo-colors-theme' all of which require the installation of PPA's. So I'd need to install those three needed PPA's before adding those packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes
    And I'd then need to update the repos:

sudo apt-get update
    Only then could I add those packages to the "string", eg;

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme
    But now we need to stop and consider two quite simple things, the use of the "-y" suffix to eliminate the need for confirmation of commands, and "&&" to combine commands. You've undoubtedly noticed that many commands result in you being asked to confirm your intent, but simply adding a "-y" to the end of the command eliminates that, and using "&&" easily combines commands. In this example I'm adding all three of the aforementioned PPA's, then running "apt-get update", and only then installing the desired packages:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y
    Clear as mud? I only used the bold and red fonts to better display the usage of "-y" and "&&".

I should note that typos matter big time! Every space and hyphen matters!

Now if I have a backed up configuration for that machine I'd simply stop with installing packages and then import the required "hidden dots", but I'm mostly dealing with upgrades from 10.04 to 12.04 and the old configuration files are useless IMHO. So I'd begin adding the desired basic configuration commands with "&&", no need for the "-y" suffix.

I do want Alt+F2 to "Run Command Prompt" just as described in step #3 of my OP:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2"
    And I do want to set the screen lock to off as described in step #4:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false
    And I want update notifications to show up in the indicator applet as described in step #5:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false
    Yes, I want the window-management buttons back on the right as described in step #6:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close"
    And I want to use the Shiki-Colors-Metacity theme as described in step #7:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close" && gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity
    Yes to disabling the overlay-scrollbars as described in step #8:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close" && gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity && echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile
    And yes to restoring missing menu and button icons as described in step #9 (two commands):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close" && gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity && echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true
    I want mounted volumes to appear on the desktop as described in step #10:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close" && gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity && echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible true
    I also want to use the Zukitwo-Dust gtk theme and change the cursor and icon themes as described in post #70 (three commands):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:caffeine-developers/ppa -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexmurray/indicator-sensors -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/themes -y && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/global_keybindings/panel_run_dialog" --type string "<Alt>F2" && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver lock-enabled false && gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier auto-launch false && gconftool-2 --set "/apps/metacity/general/button_layout" --type string ":minimize,maximize,close" && gconftool-2 -s --type string /apps/metacity/general/theme Shiki-Colors-Metacity && echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface menus-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface buttons-have-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop volumes-visible true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme Zukitwo-Dust && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme ubuntu-mono-dark && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface cursor-theme DMZ-White
    That's it for now, I may decide to add CLI methods for performing additional changes later, but now it's time to test that on a freshly installed Precise and see how many mistakes I made. The terminal will let me know.

Wow that appears to have worked! Even before logging out and logging back in I see the update notifier and my USB drive is displayed on the Unity desktop:

appears to have worked.jpg

So I logout, choose Gnome classic (no effects), and log back in. Looks good but I get a notification of bug #905686. Eh, it only effects 330 people, the devs will get to it sooner or later. Honestly it's a one time error using Gnome classic (no effects) so I just disregard it now. Everything else seems good, but I have just the default panel layout so I'll need to manually tweak that:

classic first boot.jpg

And I'll have to manually edit the settings for Caffeine and Hardware Sensors Indicator.

Here's the applicable logs:

/var/log/apt/history.log:

Code:
    Start-Date: 2012-06-18  09:39:27
    Commandline: apt-get install gnome-panel indicator-applet indicator-applet-session shiki-colors-metacity-theme caffeine indicator-sensors zukitwo-theme-all zukitwo-colors-theme -y
    Install: libpanel-applet-4-0:i386 (3.4.1-0ubuntu1, automatic), gir1.2-gconf-2.0:i386 (3.2.5-0ubuntu2, automatic), python-support:i386 (1.0.14ubuntu2, automatic), zukitwo-gtk-theme:i386 (2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise, automatic), python-kaa-base:i386 (0.6.0+svn4596-1, automatic), alacarte:i386 (0.13.2-2ubuntu4, automatic), indicator-applet-complete:i386 (0.5.0-0ubuntu1, automatic), gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386 (2.24.10-0ubuntu6, automatic), caffeine:i386 (2.4.1+419~precise1), zukitwo-theme-all:i386 (2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise), zukitwo-colors-theme:i386 (20120606-1~webupd8), libsqlite0:i386 (2.8.17-7fakesync1build1, automatic), indicator-applet:i386 (0.5.0-0ubuntu1), indicator-sensors:i386 (0.2-1), python-kaa-metadata:i386 (0.7.7+svn4596-2, automatic), gnome-session-fallback:i386 (3.2.1-0ubuntu8, automatic), python-central:i386 (0.6.17ubuntu2, automatic), shiki-colors-metacity-theme:i386 (4.6-1ubuntu2), indicator-applet-session:i386 (0.5.0-0ubuntu1), python-sqlite:i386 (1.0.1-9, automatic), cups-pk-helper:i386 (0.2.1.2-1, automatic), gnome-applets:i386 (3.4.1-0ubuntu1, automatic), python-gmenu:i386 (3.0.1-0ubuntu7, automatic), gnome-panel:i386 (3.4.1-0ubuntu1), python-xlib:i386 (0.14+20091101-1, automatic), zukitwo-dark-gtk-theme:i386 (2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise, automatic), gnome-applets-data:i386 (3.4.1-0ubuntu1, automatic), gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0:i386 (3.4.1-0ubuntu1, automatic), gnome-panel-data:i386 (3.4.1-0ubuntu1, automatic)
    End-Date: 2012-06-18  09:40:20
    And /var/log/apt/term.log:

Code:
    Log started: 2012-06-18  09:39:27
    Selecting previously unselected package python-gmenu.
    (Reading database ... 
    (Reading database ... 5%
    (Reading database ... 10%
    (Reading database ... 15%
    (Reading database ... 20%
    (Reading database ... 25%
    (Reading database ... 30%
    (Reading database ... 35%
    (Reading database ... 40%
    (Reading database ... 45%
    (Reading database ... 50%
    (Reading database ... 55%
    (Reading database ... 60%
    (Reading database ... 65%
    (Reading database ... 70%
    (Reading database ... 75%
    (Reading database ... 80%
    (Reading database ... 85%
    (Reading database ... 90%
    (Reading database ... 95%
    (Reading database ... 100%
    (Reading database ... 142913 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking python-gmenu (from .../python-gmenu_3.0.1-0ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package alacarte.
    Unpacking alacarte (from .../alacarte_0.13.2-2ubuntu4_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python-central.
    Unpacking python-central (from .../python-central_0.6.17ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python-support.
    Unpacking python-support (from .../python-support_1.0.14ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python-xlib.
    Unpacking python-xlib (from .../python-xlib_0.14+20091101-1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libsqlite0.
    Unpacking libsqlite0 (from .../libsqlite0_2.8.17-7fakesync1build1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python-sqlite.
    Unpacking python-sqlite (from .../python-sqlite_1.0.1-9_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python-kaa-base.
    Unpacking python-kaa-base (from .../python-kaa-base_0.6.0+svn4596-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package python-kaa-metadata.
    Unpacking python-kaa-metadata (from .../python-kaa-metadata_0.7.7+svn4596-2_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package caffeine.
    Unpacking caffeine (from .../caffeine_2.4.1+419~precise1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gir1.2-gconf-2.0.
    Unpacking gir1.2-gconf-2.0 (from .../gir1.2-gconf-2.0_3.2.5-0ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package libpanel-applet-4-0.
    Unpacking libpanel-applet-4-0 (from .../libpanel-applet-4-0_1%3a3.4.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0.
    Unpacking gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 (from .../gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0_1%3a3.4.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gnome-applets-data.
    Unpacking gnome-applets-data (from .../gnome-applets-data_3.4.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gnome-panel-data.
    Unpacking gnome-panel-data (from .../gnome-panel-data_1%3a3.4.1-0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gnome-panel.
    Unpacking gnome-panel (from .../gnome-panel_1%3a3.4.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gnome-applets.
    Unpacking gnome-applets (from .../gnome-applets_3.4.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gnome-session-fallback.
    Unpacking gnome-session-fallback (from .../gnome-session-fallback_3.2.1-0ubuntu8_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package gtk2-engines-pixbuf.
    Unpacking gtk2-engines-pixbuf (from .../gtk2-engines-pixbuf_2.24.10-0ubuntu6_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package indicator-applet.
    Unpacking indicator-applet (from .../indicator-applet_0.5.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package indicator-applet-complete.
    Unpacking indicator-applet-complete (from .../indicator-applet-complete_0.5.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package indicator-applet-session.
    Unpacking indicator-applet-session (from .../indicator-applet-session_0.5.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package shiki-colors-metacity-theme.
    Unpacking shiki-colors-metacity-theme (from .../shiki-colors-metacity-theme_4.6-1ubuntu2_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package cups-pk-helper.
    Unpacking cups-pk-helper (from .../cups-pk-helper_0.2.1.2-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package indicator-sensors.
    Unpacking indicator-sensors (from .../indicator-sensors_0.2-1_i386.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package zukitwo-colors-theme.
    Unpacking zukitwo-colors-theme (from .../zukitwo-colors-theme_20120606-1~webupd8_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package zukitwo-dark-gtk-theme.
    Unpacking zukitwo-dark-gtk-theme (from .../zukitwo-dark-gtk-theme_2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package zukitwo-gtk-theme.
    Unpacking zukitwo-gtk-theme (from .../zukitwo-gtk-theme_2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package zukitwo-theme-all.
    Unpacking zukitwo-theme-all (from .../zukitwo-theme-all_2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise_all.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for install-info ...
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
    Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
    Setting up python-gmenu (3.0.1-0ubuntu7) ...
    Setting up alacarte (0.13.2-2ubuntu4) ...
    Setting up python-central (0.6.17ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up python-support (1.0.14ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up python-xlib (0.14+20091101-1) ...
    Setting up libsqlite0 (2.8.17-7fakesync1build1) ...
    Setting up python-sqlite (1.0.1-9) ...
    Setting up python-kaa-base (0.6.0+svn4596-1) ...
    Setting up python-kaa-metadata (0.7.7+svn4596-2) ...
    Setting up caffeine (2.4.1+419~precise1) ...
    gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
    Setting up gir1.2-gconf-2.0 (3.2.5-0ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up libpanel-applet-4-0 (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0 (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gnome-applets-data (3.4.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gnome-panel-data (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gnome-panel (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gnome-applets (3.4.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up gnome-session-fallback (3.2.1-0ubuntu8) ...
    Setting up gtk2-engines-pixbuf (2.24.10-0ubuntu6) ...
    Setting up indicator-applet (0.5.0-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up indicator-applet-complete (0.5.0-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up indicator-applet-session (0.5.0-0ubuntu1) ...
    Setting up shiki-colors-metacity-theme (4.6-1ubuntu2) ...
    Setting up cups-pk-helper (0.2.1.2-1) ...
    Setting up indicator-sensors (0.2-1) ...
    Setting up zukitwo-colors-theme (20120606-1~webupd8) ...
    Setting up zukitwo-dark-gtk-theme (2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise) ...
    Setting up zukitwo-gtk-theme (2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise) ...
    Setting up zukitwo-theme-all (2012.06.12-1~webupd8~precise) ...
    Processing triggers for python-support ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Log ended: 2012-06-18  09:40:20
    I hope this is helpful to others.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wink Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Love the tweaks. Just an FYI for all. The Gnome Classic also works with these tweaks except (for whatever reasons) the workspace switcher - it will show only one correct Gnome 2 DE. If you set up the workspace switcher for multiple desktops, only the first desktop is correct. the additional desktops only show the wallpaper and do not respond to mouse clicks. Fortunately, an Alt-F2 ketstroke brings you back to the first desktop. Maybe someone can find where the fault is with Compiz and the workspace switcher.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast