Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by mystmaiden View Post
    I havd been struggling with the issue of gnome vs unity but I thought I'd go ahead and give Precise a try but I've done something wrong because after doing most of the steps in the post (I didn't add the applets) I still have the side panel with the unity icons and restart didn't give me the option of choosing gnome classic. What would be the best way to go about fixing my error, a ny ideas?

thanks -

mystmaiden
    Are you selecting Gnome classic (no effects) from the login screen as shown here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/classicgnome

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acimi66 View Post
    I am having a problem with getting my "brightness setting" to stay where I previously set it. It seems strange that you are offered the setting but I have to adjust it every time I start up.
    Any thoughts?
    Sorry I overlooked this earlier. Do you mean the settings here:

Screenshot from 2012-05-18 11:16:28.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Sorry but you can ignore this post; I was answering the wrong question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Well I got the first two steps done and then went to look for the emblem to click on and t'wernt there.
    Would I be right in thinkng a reinstall might be in order or should I just throw in the towel and enter a nunnery???

When that is complete it's time to take your first look at the new "classic" DE by simply logging out, then clicking on the Ubuntu emblem to the right of your user name on the login screen, selecting Classic (No effects), entering your password, and logging back in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by catgate View Post
    Well I got the first two steps done and then went to look for the emblem to click on and t'wernt there.
    Would I be right in thinkng a reinstall might be in order or should I just throw in the towel and enter a nunnery???

When that is complete it's time to take your first look at the new "classic" DE by simply logging out, then clicking on the Ubuntu emblem to the right of your user name on the login screen, selecting Classic (No effects), entering your password, and logging back in.
    When you log out you should see an emblem next to your username similar to what is shown here:

The emblem may look different depending on the theme that's being used. Then just select Gnome Classic (no effects).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    When you log out you should see an emblem next to your username similar to what is shown here:

The emblem may look different depending on the theme that's being used. Then just select Gnome Classic (no effects).
    I am not sure just exactly how I arrived there, but I did arrive at the pages/panels that you showed, and by clicking on your recommended responses I arrived at the desired result. Thank you.

(takes deep breath and plunges in for more punishment!!)

Beans

I hope no one thinks I'm asleep at the wheel

I have a post 95% done regarding how to restore a default configuration and I just asked two questions at Launchpad regarding packages I'd like to include in the final version of this thread:

https://answers.launchpad.net/indica...uestion/198151

https://answers.launchpad.net/indica...uestion/198152

Many things have slowed me down recently but I'm trying to get back up to speed

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just a note:
    1. I have found the Clearwaita theme to be by far the most readable theme for me on Precise Pangolin. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=145210 . See the READ.ME file in the decompressed download for how to do the install.

2. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965929 for more info on restoring the scrollbar single line stepper arrows/button on some themes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph L View Post
    Just a note:
    1. I have found the Clearwaita theme to be by far the most readable theme for me on Precise Pangolin. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=145210 . See the READ.ME file in the decompressed download for how to do the install.

2. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1965929 for more info on restoring the scrollbar single line stepper arrows/button on some themes.
    Cool, I added a note in step #7. Many thanks

Beans

The purpose of this post is only to provide some basic info about how to restore a default desktop configuration, or how to back up and restore an existing desktop configuration. Should anyone notice errors or have questions please let me know and I'll do the best I can.

There may be any number of other reasons why someone wants to restore a default configuration. Maybe you just messed things up, or sometimes upgrades will result in a somewhat poor overall configuration, and these same principles can be used to backup and restore configuration files as long as the proper packages are still installed.

While I usually prefer using the CLI to perform most operations the simplest way to do this is simply by opening your Home folder. You'll typically see only the expected user folders (eg; Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc), but if you go to the navigation bar and click on View -> Show Hidden Files you'll see what I like to refer to as "hidden dots":

hidden_dots.png

For the purposes of desktop configuration you'll typically be concerned only with .config, .gconf, .gnome2, and .compiz-1. But if this is an upgrade from a previous version of Ubuntu you may see both .compiz-1 & .compiz.

NOTE: While I'm only dealing with desktop configuration files for my purposes here I'd be lax not to mention that renaming or copying some hidden dots like .mozilla or .thunderbird will fail unless that process is killed first, eg; if I copy .mozilla while Firefox is running and try to launch Firefox after restoring that configuration I'll get a "Firefox is already running" warning. But this typically does not effect the aforementioned hidden dot desktop configuration files.

So lets say we have a messed up configuration, we made a recent change and now things are just messed up. We can simply open our home folder and click on View -> Show Hidden Files.

Note: You can open your home folder easily if you applied the change in step #3 of my OP in this thread:

Alt+F2.png

Then you can right click on the aforementioned .config, .gconf, .gnome2, and .compiz-1 folders and choose "Rename". After choosing Rename simply click within the highlighted "box" and add a suffix like "_OLD":

rename.png

Note: I usually use suffixes that just make sense to me, eg; if I decide to play with a new configuration but I want the old one to have a name I'll remember I might use "_OLD" or "_MOD". Recently I've been playing a bit with Compiz so I'll typically rename the hidden dot config files I want to backup with "_MET" meaning metacity.

Regardless, once you've renamed the aforementioned configuration files you can either reboot or just log out and log back into a fresh desktop environment so you can totally start over. If you later decide to restore the old hidden dots you can send the newest ones to the trash bin (or rename them) and remove the suffix from the ones you'd renamed previously.

Now, another way to create a "backup" of these hidden dots is to simply create an actual backup folder wherever you wish. Maybe just create a new folder in Home called Config_Backup. Then simply drag-n-drop or copy-n-paste those hidden dots to the new folder - remember they'll still be hidden files.

Now let's move on to some CLI methods. By default the terminal looks in home unless told to do otherwise so just running "ls" will display your basic user files and folders but running "ls -a" will also display the hidden dots, (no sudo needed because it's your home folder) eg;

Code:
    ls -a
    Example:

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ ls -a
    .              examples.desktop            .mozilla
    ..             .fontconfig                 Music
    .adobe         .gconf                      .opera
    .bash_history  .gksu.lock                  Pictures
    .bash_logout   .gnome2                     .profile
    .bashrc        .goutputstream-B0OKEW       Public
    .cache         .gstreamer-0.10             .pulse
    .compiz-1      .gtk-bookmarks              .pulse-cookie
    .config        .gvfs                       Templates
    .dbus          .ICEauthority               .thumbnails
    Desktop        .indicator-sysmonitor.json  Videos
    .dmrc          .local                      .Xauthority
    Documents      .macromedia                 .xsession-errors
    Downloads      .mission-control            .xsession-errors.old
    Now I can either copy or rename those hidden dots using either "cp -a" or "mv" respectively. Examples:

Using "cp -a" to create a backup:

Code:
    cp -a .compiz-1 .compiz-1_OLD
    Result:

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ cp -a .compiz-1 .compiz-1_OLD
    .              examples.desktop            Music
    ..             .fontconfig                 .opera
    .adobe         .gconf                      Pictures
    .bash_history  .gksu.lock                  .profile
    .bash_logout   .gnome2                     Public
    .bashrc        .goutputstream-B0OKEW       .pulse
    .cache         .gstreamer-0.10             .pulse-cookie
    .compiz-1      .gtk-bookmarks              Templates
    .compiz-1_OLD  .gvfs                       .thumbnails
    .config        .ICEauthority               Videos
    .dbus          .indicator-sysmonitor.json  .Xauthority
    Desktop        .local                      .xsession-errors
    .dmrc          .macromedia                 .xsession-errors.old
    Documents      .mission-control
    Downloads      .mozilla
    Using "mv" to rename:

Code:
    mv .compiz-1 .compiz-1_OLD
    Result:

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ mv .compiz-1 .compiz-1_OLD
    .              examples.desktop            .mozilla
    ..             .fontconfig                 Music
    .adobe         .gconf                      .opera
    .bash_history  .gksu.lock                  Pictures
    .bash_logout   .gnome2                     .profile
    .bashrc        .goutputstream-B0OKEW       Public
    .cache         .gstreamer-0.10             .pulse
    .compiz-1_OLD  .gtk-bookmarks              .pulse-cookie
    .config        .gvfs                       Templates
    .dbus          .ICEauthority               .thumbnails
    Desktop        .indicator-sysmonitor.json  Videos
    .dmrc          .local                      .Xauthority
    Documents      .macromedia                 .xsession-errors
    Downloads      .mission-control            .xsession-errors.old
    Then, of course, after renaming the aforementioned configuration files you can either reboot or just logout and log back in to see the new default configuration.

I often create backup configurations and store them on a flash drive both for restoration purposes and to duplicate a configuration for multiple installations, but I'll discuss that more in a future post.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; June 14th, 2012 at 05:58 AM.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast