Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Beans

Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by tkoco View Post
    Love the tweaks. Just an FYI for all. The Gnome Classic also works with these tweaks except (for whatever reasons) the workspace switcher - it will show only one correct Gnome 2 DE. If you set up the workspace switcher for multiple desktops, only the first desktop is correct. the additional desktops only show the wallpaper and do not respond to mouse clicks. Fortunately, an Alt-F2 ketstroke brings you back to the first desktop. Maybe someone can find where the fault is with Compiz and the workspace switcher.
    The faults in standard classic seem to vary greatly depending on the graphics card involved. Some ATI Radeon cards seem to show the worst results, even booting to a Unity DE after choosing classic, but even as far back as Gutsy I've always preferred Metacity. It's simply the best fit for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: 12.04 LTS / Precise Classic (No effects) Tweaks and tricks

Hi kansasnoob.

This is really great and very helpful. I have a question:- do you know how I can get the 'Create Launcher' option back that was in 10.04 when you right clicked on the desktop? It is missing in 12.04. This is needed to create short cuts for useful programs like MU Commander which are not added to the Applications menus.

I find the buttons being on the right rather annoying so I installed gconf-editor and then went to apps/metacity/general. I also used gconf-editor to add my icons to my desktop by going to apps/nautilus/desktop.

Regards
    Philip

Beans

do you know how I can get the 'Create Launcher' option back that was in 10.04 when you right clicked on the desktop?
    No, but if you alt + right click on the panel and select "add to panel" you can then create a custom launcher:

Custom_launcher.png

I find the buttons being on the right rather annoying so I installed gconf-editor and then went to apps/metacity/general.
    I covered that in step #6.

I also used gconf-editor to add my icons to my desktop by going to apps/nautilus/desktop.
    I find that app launchers can be added to the desktop just by clicking and dragging with the exception of Libre-office which I assume is a bug.

Beans

I recieved the following PM:

Hey buddy just came across your thread, your set up is awesome, i like it much better than unity.I followed your tweaks that you listed.

Some problems since im damn noob.

I still have the task bar at the top, i have nothing up there, how can i remove it completely to regain screen real estate?

also on the bottom task bar i still have applications and places text, how do i remove them so i can only have the Ubuntu logo?

Basically id like to have the same task bar set up as yours. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Where can i edit these settings?

Oh and for the life of me i was not able to find add-to-panel or Panel Properties settings.

Thanks in advance
    Let me grab another cup of coffee and I'll reply

Beans

for the life of me i was not able to find add-to-panel or Panel Properties settings.
    If you're using Gnome classic (no effects) you must now hold down either Alt key while right-clicking on a panel or applet to be able to edit panel preferences or to add/edit/move/remove more applets. Alt + right-click should display this:

display_panel_edit.png

If you have two or more panels you should be able to remove the one you don't want.

on the bottom task bar i still have applications and places text, how do i remove them so i can only have the Ubuntu logo?
    The Applications & Places "launchers" are called "Menu bar". What you want is "Main Menu":

main_menu.png

Basically id like to have the same task bar set up as yours.
    I included a list of my "launchers" in my OP:

Main Menu/Terminal/Workspace Switcher/Screenshot/Firefox/Window List/________/Indicator Applet/Clock/Trash
    Let us know if you need additional help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@kansasnoob

Well, to begin with, from time time I get error messages ('Sorry, Ubuntu has suffered an internal program error') Then, as if that wasn't enough, I send a Problem Report and that crashes too. These crashes are quite randomly, different apps, especially Clementine, CheckGMail..

Also, KolourPaint crashes when I save a picture and close the program.. But I know, it's KDE app.. I've had issues with Shotwell too, but I assume it's not Ubuntu's fault.

Oh, and the notification area, I included GoldenDict there, and sometimes appear and other times doesn't. I have to change Desktop resolution and reboot to get the icon back into the notification area.

I use Clearwaita-master as gtk them and adwaita as window theme. I've been trying to get the weather icon in calendar with no luck: an empty space shows up.

And I don't remember anything else right now...

Thanks for your message in the other forum

Beans

Thanks Gosset Inofensiu. I was curious if I could try and reproduce any of the bugs you mentioned here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=13

Particularly because you said, "I know there's a gnome-panel package with a lot of bugs which I am subscribed to, but I don't receive any updates for gnome-panel, just updates for unity or gnome shell... No changes, no improvements to my gnome classic interface."

I've been using 'gnome-panel' almost exclusively on my main "work" box for quite some time (first in Oneiric and now in Precise) and I just haven't encountered any panel or classic specific bugs at all as long as I'm using Metacity rather than Compiz.

I suppose I should put a little effort into trying to sort out Compiz but I'm ill equipped because I've always preferred Metacity, even as far back as Gutsy

Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

I also use Metacity because I had lot of trouble with Compiz and plus I am not a visual effects freak

The list of bugs I was referring to can be seen here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-panel/

As you can see, there're quite a few

Beans

Before I start please understand that I'm not being argumentative. My hope is to find any reproducible bugs related to the Gnome classic (no effects) session in Precise so I can try to increase the bug "heat" and hopefully get them fixed or find a work-around by the time 12.04.1 pops in August

When you use that same link and apply "age" it's much less scary:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...reated&start=0

Some of those bugs I actually recognize as being fixed since Precise was released, because they're sometimes not just related to "gnome-panel". And there is a new version of 'gmome-panel' in proposed right now:

gnome-panel (1:3.4.1-0ubuntu1.1) precise-proposed; urgency=low

* debian/patches/15_avoid_applet_loading_failures.patch:
    - Use on_bus_acquired instead of on_name_acquired.
    This helps prevent race conditions at session starts which can lead
    to panel applets failing to load. (lp: #727660)

-- Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:05:46 +0200
    But I've NOT tried it because I'm focusing on stability ATM

Regardless both Jeremy Bicha and Sebastien Bacher do still work on 'gnome-panel' .......... really

A lot of it comes down to filing a proper bug report and getting QA to focus on it, both of which can be tough but things are improving with the new qa-tracker, Ubuntu continues to improve almost ever day.

Beans
    Distro

kansasnoob, you are not argumentative, you just give your opinion and I like that you are happy with Gnome Panel. To tell the truth, I didn't expect to be able to work with a gnome 2.x aspect in Gnome 12.04 monts ago, I was really afraid I should stand my own two legs and change DE (i tried XFCE but didn't like it that much).

It's great news to know there's a proposed new version of 'gnome-panel', wasn't aware of that! I was subscribed to gnome-panels bugs as I said before but I didn't really pay much attention, to be honest. I'm relieved reading your post, honestly.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast