Thread: Gui broken after upgrade to 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Angry Gui broken after upgrade to 12.04

My current upgrade to 12.04 is partially working with the console only and it seems like the upgrade didn't download or install all files and the computer rebooted. I have tried apt-get update, but it only shows broken dependencies and i tried apt-get -f install and it shows an error and stops and finally i tried apt-get dist-updgrade -f and it finished dowloading the updates but then when it starts to install this eroor message appears:

dpkg: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 38667 package 'lexmark-08z-series-driver:i386':
    blank line in value of field 'Description'
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Any suggestion on how to fix this other than fresh install?
    Last edited by dragonboss; April 27th, 2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Wrote 12.10 instead of 12.04!
    [Ubuntu 13.10x64/Win8]HP Pavilion dv6, Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 350 (@ 2.27GHz × 4), Intel Ironlake Mobile, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM
    [Ubuntu 13.10 x64/Win7] Intel Core2 6300 1.86Ghz, Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2GB, 250GB + 2TB HDD, 4GB RAM

Beans
    Distro

Re: Gui broken after upgrade to 12.10

I can't upgrade or finish the dist-upgrade because of the above error and it seems it is due to the computer restarting in the middle of installing the packages.Anyone? I have 600GB of stuff on the hardrive I'd rather not lose and I can't transfer it.
    [Ubuntu 13.10x64/Win8]HP Pavilion dv6, Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M 350 (@ 2.27GHz × 4), Intel Ironlake Mobile, 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM
    [Ubuntu 13.10 x64/Win7] Intel Core2 6300 1.86Ghz, Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2GB, 250GB + 2TB HDD, 4GB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Same problem im having here, i searched around and nothing so far is fxing it. This is the first major problem i have had with ubuntu. I also have alot of important files in my home dir.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Gui broken after upgrade to 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by dragonboss View Post
    My current upgrade to 12.04 is partially working with the console only and it seems like the upgrade didn't download or install all files and the computer rebooted. I have tried apt-get update, but it only shows broken dependencies and i tried apt-get -f install and it shows an error and stops and finally i tried apt-get dist-updgrade -f and it finished dowloading the updates but then when it starts to install this eroor message appears:

dpkg: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 38667 package 'lexmark-08z-series-driver:i386':
    blank line in value of field 'Description'
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Any suggestion on how to fix this other than fresh install?
    i gave up and backed up the status file, and deleted the whole package information section at that line.. and did a apt-get -f update, apt-get -f install, etc. don't know if it was the right thing but it let the update continue and i am now upgraded and booting as normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know if it would help in this case, but if the configuration of packages is interrupted you can make it continue with:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

That will continue configuring all packages pending to be configured.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had this same problem, this worked for me..

1. From root command line type 'vim /var/lib/dpkg/status'
    2. When vim opens page down until you get to the line mentioned in the error OR use the command '/lexmark-08z' to have vim jump you ahead.
    3. press the insert key on your keyboard and delete the blank line(s) -I had two blank lines that needed deleted.
    4. To save, use the command ':w' than quit ':q'

You will need to do the above steps again for /var/lib/dpkg/available so open this file in vim, use the search command '/lexmark' to jump you forward, delete the blank line(s), save, than quit.

Now you should be able to run 'apt-get -f install' without error.

Beans

I have the same problem with the GUI. All looked normal until the reboot... getting a blank screen and no panels ore Unity bar....not good.

Beans
    Distro

This did not work for me.
    Ended up using a live usb to salvage what i could and fresh installed. Not my best upgrade experience