Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 lts Hp touchpad right click problem

The steps in post #18 don't work for me, I can't get past line 7. I don't claim to be an expert and I didn't realize until just now that I would need to be one to set this up. Seems to me it ought to be a little more straight forward to achieve basic functionality from Ubuntu on these VERY MAINSTREAM HP Pavilion DM4 laptops.

Not much chance I'm going to pursue this further, I don't need the headaches and I have Windows licenses for all of these machines. I's just a shame is all, and I wanted to vent a little.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by spyvie View Post
    The steps in post #18 don't work for me, I can't get past line 7. I don't claim to be an expert and I didn't realize until just now that I would need to be one to set this up. Seems to me it ought to be a little more straight forward to achieve basic functionality from Ubuntu on these VERY MAINSTREAM HP Pavilion DM4 laptops.

Not much chance I'm going to pursue this further, I don't need the headaches and I have Windows licenses for all of these machines. I's just a shame is all, and I wanted to vent a little.

Thanks.
    Hi spyvie,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties. What exactly happens when you get to step 7?

Cheers,
    TK

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherMuggle View Post
    As promised I have attached my mouse driver patch for kernel 3.2.0-24-generic-pae....
    Thank you for sharing this solution. It works great here at HP Probook 4525s under Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherMuggle View Post
    Are you familiar with c programming? If so then modifying the source code in the patch is straightforward, you can diff it against the original kernel source and you will be able to see where my changes are. If not then let me know and I will do a version with no middle button, just left and right buttons.
    Hi, I'm not familiar with c programming but it wasn't too tricky to work out. I have attached a patch file of the changes I have made in case they are useful to any one else. This has the top 80% of the pad being left click with the bottom 20% being split in half for left and right click (no middle button)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by earthwormgym; June 13th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by earthwormgym View Post
    Hi, I'm not familiar with c programming but it wasn't too tricky to work out. I have attached a patch file of the changes I have made in case they are useful to any one else. This has the top 80% of the pad being left click with the bottom 20% being split in half for left and right click (no middle button)
    Excellent work! Hopefully this satisfy other people who also aren't interested in the middle button.

Beans

Hi AnotherMuggle,
    I've been struggling with TouchPad issues on my HP-DM1Z; Same as most people I have no hardware right click (its acts as another left click) or pinch to zoom (but most other things work fine).

Your patch seemed like a godsend, but I'm a complete linux novice and running Linux Mint 13 64-bit; thinking that, one being built on the other, it would work fine, I followed all your instructions to the letter (I know, dumb) and it all seemed to work until "11. sudo modprobe -r psmouse" upon which my netbook froze completely.

On force reboot the TouchPad does not work at all.

Is this a salvagable situation? I'd dearly love your input (the Mint community is pretty poor for helping people). Just let me know if I've boned it to death and I'll install Ubuntu!

I've appended the Terminal log for 'uname -a' and 'sudo dkms status'

uname -a:
    Linux Vespa 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

sudo dkms status:

fglrx, 8.960, 3.2.0-23-generic, amd64: installed
    psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (original_module exists)
    virtualbox-guest, 4.1.12, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)

Thanks in advance and sorry for crashing your forums!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by incindre View Post
    Hi AnotherMuggle,
    I've been struggling with TouchPad issues on my HP-DM1Z; Same as most people I have no hardware right click (its acts as another left click) or pinch to zoom (but most other things work fine).

Your patch seemed like a godsend, but I'm a complete linux novice and running Linux Mint 13 64-bit; thinking that, one being built on the other, it would work fine, I followed all your instructions to the letter (I know, dumb) and it all seemed to work until "11. sudo modprobe -r psmouse" upon which my netbook froze completely.

On force reboot the TouchPad does not work at all.

Is this a salvagable situation? I'd dearly love your input (the Mint community is pretty poor for helping people). Just let me know if I've boned it to death and I'll install Ubuntu!

I've appended the Terminal log for 'uname -a' and 'sudo dkms status'

uname -a:
    Linux Vespa 3.2.0-23-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 10 20:39:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

sudo dkms status:

fglrx, 8.960, 3.2.0-23-generic, amd64: installed
    psmouse, 3.2.0-24-generic-pae, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (original_module exists)
    virtualbox-guest, 4.1.12, 3.2.0-23-generic, x86_64: installed (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!) (WARNING! Diff between built and installed module!)

Thanks in advance and sorry for crashing your forums!
    Hi incindre,

I think the first step you need to take is to completely remove the dkms module from your system as it is not compatible with your kernel. You are using a different kernel version and it is also 64 bit, either of these things, or both, could be causing the problem.

To remove the module, log in, open a terminal and run the following commands. Reboot the system and you should be back to square one... a working mouse but left click only.

Code:
    1. sudo dkms uninstall -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae
    2. sudo dkms remove -m psmouse -v 3.2.0-24-generic-pae --all
    Let me know how you get on with that.

Regards,
    Tom

Beans

Alright, I have done that, and now the Touchpad works as it did prior, thanks a bunch!
    I eagerly await further instruction.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by incindre View Post
    Alright, I have done that, and now the Touchpad works as it did prior, thanks a bunch!
    I eagerly await further instruction.
    I'm afraid you will need to find someone to port this patch into the default Mint kernel. Unfortunately I don't have a Mint install so I don't think I can help. Sorry.

TK

Beans

Cheers, that's all I needed to hear; I'm going to jump ship to Ubuntu immediately!

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast