Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS!

Make sure wifi and touchpad are enabled. The default may be to have them turned off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Was it a fresh installation or an upgrade? If it was an upgrade, I'd suggest running from a Live CD to ensure there isn't a software problem. If that fails, then the best thing to try would be downloading and installing the latest System76 Driver.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I did the network upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 last night. When I reboot after the upgrade, grub can't find the partition to boot. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

error: no such partition.

Press any key to continue ...

I have a Gazelle Pro.

Thanks.
    Last edited by b3d; April 28th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kend650 View Post
    typing system76 in the dash brings up nothing. Now what?
    I just brought it up from System Settings. There was even an icon for it (the System 76 Driver) in the Launcher when I first fired up my new lemu4 (which just arrived Friday). But I'm confused about one thing. The instructions linked here imply that you have to re-install the System 76 Driver after doing the normal Ubuntu upgrade. So it seems to me that getting the latest version before doing the upgrade would be pointless. Am I missing something here?
    -- David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by b3d View Post
    I did the network upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 last night. When I reboot after the upgrade, grub can't find the partition to boot. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Press any key to continue ...
    Just reinstall the GRUB bootloader:
    http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Res...rub_Bootloader

And BTW, I had to do this again after installing the System76 drivers.

HTH the next person who has this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I made the same grub mistake, but I have been unable to get the live cd to boot. It loads just fine, then I select the first menu option to run it live, and after some spinning of the cd and some waiting... nothing happens. It just hangs on an empty screen with a flashing cursor and nothing else. Is there something about system76 machines that requires special care when starting a live cd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    I made the same grub mistake, but I have been unable to get the live cd to boot. It loads just fine, then I select the first menu option to run it live, and after some spinning of the cd and some waiting... nothing happens. It just hangs on an empty screen with a flashing cursor and nothing else. Is there something about system76 machines that requires special care when starting a live cd?
    Instead of making a selection there, go ahead and just let it sit after selecting to boot from the CD Drive. It will go through the purple screen with the white icons, then continue to boot normally. Also, check the other thread you posted in, as I left some feedback there too.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Last night I did the upgrade to 12.04 on my brand new Lemur Ultra, and all is well. However, there were a few hitches along the way:
    1. The scariest moment was when it said that the device to install grub to was missing (!) or had a different name, and mentioned to options: /dev/hda and /dev/hda1. It said if I wasn´t sure to choose both (I think that is what it was saying). So I checked both and it worked. I´m sad to have seen this because it could be totally bewildering to someone who had no idea what these things mean. I´ve done many Ubuntu upgrades on various desktops and never seen this before. Now that the system is up and running, I see that / is on /dev/hda1. Does anyone know what was going on here?
    2. Once the system came up, I proceeded to download the .deb for ¨System 76 Driver¨ per the instructions, which say to choose the default option of picking Ubuntu Software Center. However, that option did not show up, even as a non-default. So I looked in /usr/bin to see what the executable is called and didn´t find it. So I ran the thing via Dash and then used ps to see what it is called, finding that the answer is simply /usr/bin/software-center. Armed with that knowledge, I went back to the ¨helper¨ dialog and via Filesystem, picked that executable. After all that, Ubuntu Software Center came up and told me that the thing I wanted to install was already installed! So why do the instructions say you have to download and install it? Anyway, the rest of the instructions (running it, doing a restore) worked as advertised. Once again, I´m afraid someone without Unix knowledge might have been totally thrown by this.
    Well, all´s well that ends well. I´m very happy with the machine. Nice to see that they finally added an easy-to-find way to alter the launcher icon size. But they should have done the same with the hide option. I should think that would be popular with the limited screen space of a laptop, especially since you can no longer shove it out of the way (for some reason). How is someone supposed to think of ¨CompizConfig Settings Manager¨? Presumably, Launcher auto-hide will be in ¨Appearance¨ in a future release.
    -- David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On the Launcher behavior, I was able to find it without too much trouble under 'System Settings -> Appearance -> Behavior".

But I too would have been without my o/s without Unix knowledge on this install: I thought it was incredibly rough. Most everything has become so easy on Ubuntu, but not the upgrade process, by a long shot: http://chrismbalz.typepad.com/comput...-1204-lts.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by christopherbalz View Post
    On the Launcher behavior, I was able to find it without too much trouble under 'System Settings -> Appearance -> Behavior".
    Thank you for pointing that out to me. I just didn't see the "Behavior" tab. I guess I owe someone an apology -- they had in fact done exactly what I was saying I wished they had done!
    -- David

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast