Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Another six months past, and now the awesome team at Canonical have another version of Ubuntu out the door. Precise is the only word I can think of to describe it; it's definitely the best version yet. As such, all System76 users are clear to upgrade immediately.

Fresh installations may proceed at will. Online upgrades are looking good too, though as always, we recommend waiting a week or two for the servers to cool down to ensure a reliable upgrade.

Current and future versions of the System76 Driver (version 2.7.3 and up) are fully compatible with 12.04 LTS.

Nevertheless, we'd recommend backing up data in any case, just in case. It's always better to be safe.

Full upgrade instructions are available here

As an added bonus, all System76 Laptops with Fingerprint Readers are now able to use the reader for authentication.
    Last edited by isantop; April 26th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS!

I am excited that the fingerprint reader should work as designed! However, will the integration with Gnome/X be better than it has in the past?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kwoodie View Post
    I am excited that the fingerprint reader should work as designed! However, will the integration with Gnome/X be better than it has in the past?
    The integration is really good, and it works pretty much anywhere PAM is used for authentication. You can use it for:

PolicyKit Authentication (software center, control center, etc.)
    Logging in, unlocking the screen.
    gksudo
    sudo in a terminal window
    logging in and sudo from the virtual terminal/Ctrl+Alt+F1-F7

It's not the most pretty thing in the world, but now that it's working, we can focus on making it look nice for future versions.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

"Current and future versions of the System76 Driver (version 2.7.3 and up) are fully compatible with 12.04 LTS. "

And how do you find out which version of the System76 Driver you have? Dmesg doesn't have it, and it is not identified in the system settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kend650 View Post
    "Current and future versions of the System76 Driver (version 2.7.3 and up) are fully compatible with 12.04 LTS. "

And how do you find out which version of the System76 Driver you have? Dmesg doesn't have it, and it is not identified in the system settings.
    You'll want to open up the driver, then click on "About". That said, you can always download the latest version [url=http://planet76.com/[/url]. It will always support all of our systems.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

"You'll want to open up the driver, then click on "About". That said, you can always download the latest version [url=http://planet76.com/[/url]. It will always support all of our systems."

Sorry to be so naive, but where/how do you open the driver? Where is it, and what is it called?

Thanks,
    Ken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Press the Ubuntu key on your keyboard to open the dash, then type in "System76". That should bring up the system76 driver entry.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

typing system76 in the dash brings up nothing. Now what?

Beans

Well, I went ahead and installed the latest version of the System76 driver, so now I'll wait a week or two before upgrading to 12.04 and actually trying out the fingerprint reader hw/sw...

Thanks,
    Ken

Beans

I upgraded my Darter Ultra to 12.04 last night, and it seemed to work OK with ethernet and a USB mouse; but today I boot up away from the office and find that wifi and the touchpad are not working.

I'm on kernel 3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP x86_64.

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast