Hi all. I've used Ubuntu until the release of Unity which I didn't like nor could get used to. Eventually I switched to Xubuntu which basically gave me the freedom of Ubuntu 10.10 by allowing me to tweak all sorts of things and to have panels as desired. Now I'm ready to take another look at Ubuntu with Unity and so I was wondering ...

If I install Ubuntu 12.04 in a separate partition all by itself, followed by installing XFCE and the Xubuntu desktop as an alternative login environment, would I later (if I still didn't like Unity after a couple of months playing with it) be able to import everything from my other Xubuntu installation so it wouldn't need to be re-installed from scratch? I'm keeping my current Xubuntu setup which is already contained in its own partition on the same drive.

Sure, it wouldn't be a big deal to rebuild my old Xubuntu from scratch if I wanted it back, that's not the question. I'm trying to save on the hours that it took for custom panels, wallpapers, compiz settings, nautilus favorites (not using Thunar), and so on.That's why I'm wondering if there's some way to just import the entire old enchilada into the newly created xfce/Xubuntu environment?
Is compiz even compatible with Ubuntu 12.04 and the Unity desktop?

Or would it make more sense to just re-install grub with the default startup of my old Xubuntu setup since they're on the same disk anyway, followed by removing Ubuntu 12.04 and then reclaiming that space via Gparted? Just trying to figure out the fastest way to achieve the goal of keeping my old setup if I decide to stick with it later on ...