Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE - before you post a reply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: PLEASE - before you post a reply

+1, but since people don't read stickies, and there is no way to make them, let alone make them read the thread before replying, I see no point to ask.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: PLEASE - before you post a reply

I'm far from the most knowledgable person about Ubuntu myself, so I do count on others if I've made some mistake. I also will try to direct someone I know has experience on the topic to the thread with the hope they might be able to provide an answer. As an example, I've asked wildmanne39 to help on several threads as he has wireless knowledge I don't.

If someone sees I've made a mistake, please point it out to me (nicely, of course! ) so that (1) I don't make the mistake again and (B) I can learn from the thread the correct answer(s).

That being said, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with this. I know that as an Ubuntu Member (though to be honest after looking at other's answers I'm not sure I belong in that group ) I have to be polite and careful about what I say since I am representing the Ubuntu community, but.....sometimes I'd just like to post "did you bother to read this thing at all??????" - I know we've all been there!

Thanks for the input on the thread.

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

And please, if you would, if the problem posted is not immediately obvious, diagnose rather than providing an endless list of "It could be this so do that. Or it may be this so do the other."

Throwing dung at the wall hoping something sticks is counterproductive, possibly dangerous and frustrates the OP.

By the way, Dave, I'm going to have to look hard to find a post where you actually gave the right advice! (You may now turn off the sarcasm detector.)
    My Blog
    Ubuntu Help Pages I'm constructing: AMDGPU and AMDGPU-PRO
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    "did you bother to read this thing at all??????"
    Of course, I read the title, there can't be anything of use in the 3 pages of replies, and I'm always correct.

More seriously perhaps a better way to get the message across would be to report said offenders, and let forum staff handle it.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Try rebooting first... Wait, what are we talking about?

Must admit I've been guilty of missing part of a post and suggesting something already eliminated before. I did publicly flog myself for it though! Blame those on posting after bedtime...

Do agree a big reason for these posts are getting to 50 to edit the profile. It's really hard to post anything useful while you're still learning yourself. That's why I still hang out in the beginner forums.

To be completely honest though, this is one of the most well moderated forums I've ever been a part of. There's a lot less "uselessness" posted here than elsewhere. I love this push for perfection on UF! It's the reason I stick around and help others whenever possible. Keep up the good work mods and members. I'll be sure to report duplicate posts and whatnot. Never thought of spammers trying to put in hidden links. Will keep the eyes open.
    My very own riot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HeroOfCanton View Post
    Do agree a big reason for these posts are getting to 50 to edit the profile. It's really hard to post anything useful while you're still learning yourself. That's why I still hang out in the beginner forums.
    True but you can ASK questions to get to 50. Kill two birds with one stone- learn something useful and get those beans. Not sure why that's so hard.

Beans
    Hidden!

Funny thing is I got most of my beans from reporting those kind of users (and spammers)

Reporting is highly encouraged in these forums. (I would like to take this opportunity to thank the mods for making this forums a better place)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    True but you can ASK questions to get to 50. Kill two birds with one stone- learn something useful and get those beans. Not sure why that's so hard.
    Because some of us know how to use Google. I've asked 3 questions here in 6 months. Would take me like 8 years to edit my profile at that pace! (Not arguing, just trying to explain why it's not always that easy)
    My very own riot?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kdane4 View Post
    Funny thing is I got most of my beans from reporting those kind of users (and spammers)
    Speaking of beans, one of the reasons I keep my beans "hidden" is that it's likely that more of them these days are likely to be related to reporting posts and subsequent discussions in the "staff only" areas than helping people in the publicly viewable areas.

Even though at the time of this post I've been active on this forum for something like 5 years, I still have a lot to learn. I occasionally find myself distracted by imperfect recollections of something I've read that might be of little value to the troubleshooting process.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Guilty as charged, sometimes-but never intentionally, and I do read the whole thread unless it's a monster.

Completely agree, Dave, as far as I can without being hypocritical.

To those with less than fifty beans so far, what is the great attraction to editing your profile? Or is it just the frustration of something you can't do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast