Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam for Linux

Beans

Steam for Linux

Salutations!

So if you haven't been over to phoronix for the last few weeks then you might have missed that Michael (AKA Mr.phoronix) was going over to Valve's HQ to discuss their Linux plans. Today he did just that and has also evidence in the way of pictures (video later) of 'left 4 dead 2' running on Ubuntu. He also states that Mr.Newell has other things in the planning for Linux although it's not clear what they are as well as apparently disliking Windows eight.

Hopefully it won't be to long until we can get the beta. Linux L4D2 clan?

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17290

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Steam for Linux

Man, how sweet that will be! So many gamers turned away by Linux over time due to the lack of the same level of gaming experience available via Windows. This will surely open the doors for earlier skeptics of Linux as a complete OS for work and hardcore play.

Beans

So how many times now has Phoronix reported Steam on Linux is coming soon? Around 7? That site is trash and nothing there is to be taken seriously.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    So how many times now has Phoronix reported Steam on Linux is coming soon? Around 7? That site is trash and nothing there is to be taken seriously.
    It's kina funny seeing this sort of reaction around the place. A lot of people really have taken offense at Phoronix for previously reporting on Steam on Linux when it was much further off than originally seen.

Anyway, the guy posted photos of computers running L4D2 on Ubuntu, and got an invitation from Gabe himself to visit Valve soon after Gabe asked him for help with a technical problem in porting their games to Linux. Apparently he wasn't just taking photos there, he actually helped a bit with driver issues.

Anyway, the site's been up and down today (I guess from huge amounts of visitor) so take a look at the article when you can and see for yourself.

Outta curiosity, why the anger? They may have been overeager and overhyped Steam Linux support from any evidence they could find, but in your mind does that make the site trash?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If Steam realy comes on Linux, I hope I do not need rebuy games to get linux version. If I remember right, when Mac version came, rebuying wasn't required.
    Last edited by 8Kuula; April 25th, 2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Typo
    "Trying is the first step towards failure"
    - Homer Simpson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Of those 7, which time were they wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gaming for linux will come more realistic through Android platform, Ubuntu Software Center, Humble Bundle or Onlive.

The only use in "Steam for Linux" is for Phoronix's website promotion.

It's official
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If this is true then it's big news for linux intressting screenshot in the article and such sure, but im not taking out the victory ahead of time! At the end of the day Linux is my favorite os of choise! anyhow!

Beans

From MaximumPC:
    Love gaming on Linux but don't have a taste for Wine? Look for a nice hot helping of Steam-brewed titles to come to the rescue sometime in the future. After a couple of years of rumors -- and denials -- that Valve was working on a Linux port of its blockbuster Steam service, it looks like the project is actually happening. Valve recently invited Mike Larabel, the man behind the Phoronix website for Linux lovers, out to the company's offices to give him a glimpse of the Steam for Linux in action.

Larabel's reporting of the experience is getting hammered and is only available intermittently, but here it is in a nutshell: Larabel was able to boot up an early, working version of Steam and Left 4 Dead 2 on Ubuntu while he was visiting Valve. The game loaded natively with the AMD Catalyst Linux driver -- no Wine conversion necessary. Larabel reports the company plans on porting other Valve titles to run natively on Linux and is bugging the developers of other Steam-offered games into doing the same, but the initial public beta version of Steam for Linux -- which Larabel says "is not too far out" -- could be limited to L4D2 alone.

Apparently, Gabe Newell himself has taken the lead on the Linux project to get it up off the ground, and he's been screening and hiring Linux OpenGL devs recommended by Larabel. The upcoming release of Windows 8 may be hastening matters; Larabel says that Newell's negativity for Windows 8 is "stunning."

Could we really see a basic version of Steam for Linux later this year? Valve has yet to comment on the report. Larabel and Phoronix have stellar reputations, though, so we're crossing our fingers and holding out hope.

Image credit: Phoronix/Mike Larabel
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dlambert; April 25th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast