Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preventing Corruption On Hard Shutdowns

Beans

Re: Preventing Corruption On Hard Shutdowns

Correct, I am booting from a local hard disk, it's setup with a 2 gig swap, and a single ext4 partition, mounting /
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; April 25th, 2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: ext4

Beans

First off, you need to determine which files are malleable and where they are located. Sounds to me like you think the app is writing to some part of /var. If so, you'd just edit /etc/fstab to mount /var to a different filesystem than the root, either a ramdisk using tmpfs or, as I suggested above, a USB pendrive.

There are two questions you need to answer empirically.

1) What files does the application create?

One good solution to this is to use rsync to back up the entire root filesystem to an external device. Then let the system run for a day or two and run rsync again. If you use "rsync -av source target" you'll get a list of all the files that rsync has determined have changed since the initial backup. If they're all under /var, you're a long way down the road.

2) How big a filesystem do I need?

The simplest answer to that is to run

Code:
    cd /
    sudo du -s var
    and see how big /var is. On my desktop machine /var/tmp and /var/cache are fairly large, but much of tmp is KDE-related, which won't exist on a server. /var/cache includes /var/cache/apt/archives which has copies of all the update debs you have installed. Since you don't intend to update the system, that shouldn't be an issue for you.

Beans

Hi Spaceman Spiff

booting from a local hard disk
    I had a little time last night and tested the following for 10.04.4 Desktop, for readonly systems based on the Live CD. It is not the most flexible method for booting but all of the hard work for using a readonly-system has been done, and because it's based on the stock CD, it's very reliable. As I say, I use this in production for several systems which are switched on and off by power cycle (although those systems use PXE booting).

Basically what you do is put the contents of the Live CD on a partition, but boot from grub rather than isolinux (or pxeboot). I made a small partituion of 4 Gbyte as the nominal CDROM, and remainder of disk for a second partition, for data or whatever.

I did the following by booting over a network. You could boot over a real CD-ROM or put the disk into a working computer. I tested on HP DL320 G2 server hardware with 2 Gbyte RAM + 1 x 40 Gbyte disk

If it's not obvious: the following will destroy any data on your disk: only do it if you're sure you want to

Code:
    # partition the disk
    # delete existing, make new  on partition 1 (+4G), and partition 2 (defaults)
    sudo fdisk -uc /dev/sda

# format those
    sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
    sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2

# mount them for setup
    mkdir /tmp/1
    mkdir /tmp/2
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/1
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/2

# get the cdrom image, mount it, copy it
    cd /tmp
    wget wget http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04.4/ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso
    sudo mount -o loop ubuntu-10.04.4-desktop-i386.iso /cdrom
    # note careful copying to ensure we get everything include .disk
    cd /cdrom
    sudo cp -Rp . /tmp/1

# put grub boot loader on
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/tmp/1 /dev/sda

# make boot config file
    cat << //// > /tmp/grub.cfg
    root (hd0,1)
    linux /casper/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 boot=casper
    initrd /casper/initrd.lz
    boot
    ////

# copy to right place
    sudo cp /tmp/grub.cfg /tmp/1/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    This boots straight up into the desktop, with everything readonly. You'll have to fool around with settings to strip things out, if you care, or to customise, but this should get you going.

Basically you get a union file system of your "CDROM" and the contents of a squashed filesystem which is in /casper/filesystem.squashfs. You can unsquash that and make lots of changes; also obviously remove lots of things from the CDROM image if you don't want them.

Hope that's helpful

Kind regards,
    Jonathan.
    Last edited by Jonathan L; April 27th, 2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: caveat re data loss, formatting

Beans

You can unsquash that and make lots of changes
    Just for completeness I thought I'd add this

The system boots the initial ram disk from the initrd.lz file, which is a compressed cpio archive. This has got the initial drivers and the critical startup file 'init'. Because we chose 'boot=casper', we'll run scripts/casper to get things going, which mounts a new root from $root/casper/filesystem.squashfs, and as we specify root=/dev/sda1 in the kernel flags, we'll get /dev/sda1/casper/filesystem.squashfs mounted. This contains the real /etc with fstab, rc.local and so on. To customis, you might mount a second partition, probably readonly, and run a script on it from /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.local or wherever.

As described in my previous post, we have /dev/sda1 mounted on /cdrom readonly. To modify, we remount read-write:
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1
    To modify the squashed filesystem:
    Code:
    # get tools if you don't have them
    sudo apt-get install -y squashfs-tools

# unpack
    cd /casper
    sudo unsquashfs filesystem.squashfs
    cd squashfs.root

# fiddle in etc or wherever

# repack
    cd /casper
    sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root filesystem.squashfs
    If you need to fiddle around with initrd.lz
    Code:
    # unpack
    sudo mkdir /tmp/newroot
    cd /tmp/newroot
    lzcat -S .lz /casper/initrd.lz | sudo cpio -i

# repack
    cd /tmp/newroot
    sudo sh -c "find . | cpio --dereference -o -H newc | lzma -9 > /casper/initrd.lz"
    Hope that's helpful for someone.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan.
    Last edited by Jonathan L; April 27th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Beans

Jonathan, thank you so much for the information!! I have been offsite working an on a project and have been unable to respond.

This is a very well documented and interesting approach.

To answer your earlier question, nothing of mine is writing to /var . Perhaps the only thing writing to /var would be the system log. Nonetheless, I have determined a working solution, could you critique it for me?

I went to my fstab, and simply set the mount option for "/" as ro. My computer still boots fine and the entire filesystem is read only. Would you happen to have any thoughts on that?

Also have you done this process with ext3? I have installed a variety of necessary libraries and set this computer up for its purpose. If this was on my own time, I would sit down, take a few days and get it right. However, in my circumstances, I do not have the time to reinstall/resetup the system. I would like to make the system read only, using its current state.

A note about tmpfs. I blew away a few VM's, I could not get my /var to mount as a tmpfs.... My fstab entry's were something along the lines of (I don't have them with me right now)

ID_BLABLA / ext4 ro,exec,noatime, 0 0

/var /var tmpfs remount,rw 0 0

Beans

Hi again

nothing of mine is writing to /var . Perhaps the only thing writing to /var would be the system log. Nonetheless, I have determined a working solution, could you critique it for me?

I went to my fstab, and simply set the mount option for "/" as ro. My computer still boots fine and the entire filesystem is read only. Would you happen to have any thoughts on that?

Also have you done this process with ext3?

A note about tmpfs. I blew away a few VM's, I could not get my /var to mount as a tmpfs.... My fstab entry's were something along the lines of (I don't have them with me right now)

ID_BLABLA / ext4 ro,exec,noatime, 0 0

/var /var tmpfs remount,rw 0 0
    I'm a huge fan of various kinds of reduced system, from the completely diskless, readonly disks, "dataless" (an old Sun term for local system and swap, NFS-mounted data) and so on.

If I want to protect against data loss due to power cuts (intentional or otherwise), I normally try to have no disk writing at all, including swap. If swap is a requirement, it's best on a physically separate disk.

If I've got storage which will only be read, I prefer if it simply cannot be written. For this reason I'm a fan of CD-ROMs, compact flash cards with write-protect switch and so on. I've even used disks where I've disconnected the "write-enable" signal!

For logs on readonly machines it's good to redirect them (via rsyslog config) to something, perhaps your big server is suitable for this.

What you've got doesn't look quite right. /var should be either a ramdisk (if you don't need any non-volatile storage at all) or at the very least a separate partition. If you remount a portion of a readonly filesystem as read-write, you are really writing into the underlying, parent, filesystem. But the basic scheme is correct: /var contains variable things, and is essentially the conventional setup since /var was introduced: everything readonly except /var, which might be a ramdisk, and perhaps /home, which might be nfs mounted.

So I'd suggest jigging your partiions a little and getting a separate one for /var, mounted rw.

It should make no any difference which kind of filesystem you use, ext3, ext4, ufs. (indeed if you have a journalling or soft-update type file system or suitable RAID, there's an argument that you hardly need worry about any of this: just let it crash and fix itself! I don't recommend it in general, but it is worth considering for special cases.)

If you're curious, I use a slight modification of the Live CD scheme I described earlier, where the one change is that /etc/rc.local uses wget to pull a script from a central place and run it. So my computers in that installation all are the same up to the point where they pull their "differentiation" script. Brutal but effective and very reliable. (They then pull any required .deb and install them and go from there.)

Hope that's of some use.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan.

Beans

Jonathon, this is great information! Cute idea with the wget script.

Let me see if I understand correctly. I can just make a tmpfs partition that is mounted to memory at boot with /var? I have 2 gigs, I only use < 500 megs of it! I outline the procedure as I understand from your description below:
    1. Create tmpfs partition (would this be in an init script?) (or should I specifically google how to make ramdisk partition)
    2. mount / to main hd as ro
    3. mount /var to the tmpfs partition (is this in the fstab?) as rw

Is this the process you are describing or am I misunderstanding? If so, I really like this process, as it doesn't require me to re-setup my OS configuration and installed libraries.

Beans

Let me see if I understand correctly. I can just make a tmpfs partition that is mounted to memory at boot with /var? I have 2 gigs, I only use < 500 megs of it! I outline the procedure as I understand from your description below:
    1. Create tmpfs partition (would this be in an init script?) (or should I specifically google how to make ramdisk partition)
    2. mount / to main hd as ro
    3. mount /var to the tmpfs partition (is this in the fstab?) as rw

Is this the process you are describing or am I misunderstanding? If so, I really like this process, as it doesn't require me to re-setup my OS configuration and installed libraries.
    Hi Spaceman

Yes, that's exactly it. (I only use "ramdisk" as it's a kind of generic word, in Linux systems yes, that means "tmpfs".)

I not sure of the exact details but I think you make /var simply in /etc/fstab, and /etc/init/mouned-varrun.conf does the rest.

Hope that helps. I should be able to give it a test tomorrow.

Kind regards,
    Jonathan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12