Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 on Acer AO722

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

11.10 on Acer AO722

Hey, so I installed Xubuntu 11.10 on an Acer Aspire One 722 and there a few things that I cannot seem to figure out:
    • keyboard shortcuts made through Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts seem to be forgotten every so often; upon opening up the dialog again, and re-establishing the key combination, the shortcut it then removed from the list completely, making me have to add it again. What is weird about this is that the shortcut remains in the XML file, until it is strangely removed from the list after re-establishing the key combination. Also, using "xfdesktop --reload", or "killall xfdesktop", does not work in re-establishing the shortcuts in the XML file.

• more specifically, is there a way to establish keys to control the volume? Right now, I map the volume-up/volume-down keys using the Application Shortcuts (mentioned above), but it is forgotten quite often. It is using "amixer -c 1 -- sset Master playback".

• It seems that using "xmodmap -e "clear Lock"" does not disable the caps-lock key. Why would that be? Though, I can use "xmodmap -pke" to output a config file, edit it to clear the caps-lock key (key 66), and load it with xmodmap.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 11.10 on Acer AO722

I have the same setup as you and I don't experience this.
    Perhaps your XML file (I assume it's ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml) is faulty.
    I would recommend your reset it. It's not simple because a copy of it remains in memory for use by xfce4-settings-manager.
    The easiest would be to log out, switch to tty1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and delete the file. Then log back in (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and see if the problem is still there.

Cheers!
    Last edited by LewisTM; April 26th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
    husband@wife$ make sandwich
    Permission denied
    husband@wife$ sudo make sandwich

Beans
    Distro

Thanks!

Yeah, I tried deleting the XML file, and things seem to be working now. Also, I tried copying over the XML file
    Code:
    ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
    to
    Code:
    /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
    And, followed this from the Arch forums. That seems to work, for now.

Any clues on how to set the audio mute key? It does not seem to work; it controls 'IEC958' according to amixer, and does not help in controlling 'Master'.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

First, you must put this custom asound.conf file inside /etc/
    Code:
    pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.pulse {
        type pulse
    }
    pcm.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    ctl.!default {
        type pulse
    }
    Then bind the multimedia keys to the following commands:

Raise volume
    Code:
    amixer set Master 5%+ unmute
    Lower volume
    Code:
    amixer set Master 5%- unmute
    Mute/unmute
    Code:
    amixer set Master toggle
    Permission denied

Beans
    Distro

It seems the fix for the shortcuts, that I mentioned, did not work. Instead, I disabled the XFCE volume daemon: the shortcuts to the multimedia keys were preserved this way. Also, the Xfce settings helper is disabled. With that, the shortcuts are, at least, preserved when logging out and back in; it seems the XML file was just fine.

Thanks, LewisTM, the conf file that you mentioned helped in assigning the mute key properly. Where did you find that fix? Also, would you happen to know how to mute that charger-beep, instead of just lowering the volume?

Though, it would still be interesting to know why the caps lock cannot be cleared as per normal, and "xfdesktop --reload" does not work in refreshing when the XML file is changed.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

I find that Xubuntu is the perfect match for this machine except for volume control where is fails miserably. The volume daemon does nothing and you don't even see volume notifications.

The asound.conf is a common fix to reconcile xfce4-mixer, which controls ALSA only, with Ubuntu which is based on Pulseaudio. It solves a lot of Xubuntu sound issues.

Your xfce4-settings-helper is probably not really disabled since it is the program that handles shortcuts. You kill it and shortcuts don't work. You should still find it in the task manager. I think disabling it in the startup apps does nothing.

Reloading xfdesktop should only refresh the desktop config - icons and wallpapers and whatnot - not the whole Xfce session.

Not sure about the CAPS. Maybe CAPS is hardware-bound since activating it also shifts the number keys to symbols !@#$ etc. as if the Shift key was being held.

Apparently you can mute the BEEP within Windows but that beast is long gone from my system.

You can find more tips about the Acer 722 in this thread which is still very active.
    Permission denied

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the information!

Beans
    Distro

Good news!
    I found if you set the xfce4-mixer to use the right PulseAudio device, the daemon should work which means multimedia keys and volume notifications.
    Go to xfce4-settings-editor/xfce4-mixer
    Set both active-card and sound-card to
    PlaybackBuiltinAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer
    Can differ depending on your language, refer to the sounds-cards list.

After a reboot, it's possible the Mixer will try to control the HDMI audio instead of the internal one. Just disable the HDMI audio in pavucontrol, log out and log back in. The mixer should now have picked up the internal audio. You can now re-enable HDMI.
    Permission denied

Beans
    Distro

LewisTM: That solution does not seem to work. As mentioned, I changed the entries of both active-card and sound-card; more specifically, to PlaybackInternalAudioAnalogStereoPulseAudioMixer since that was listed under the list of sound-cards and the one that you posted was not. After a reboot, it seems that the media keys controls neither the internal audio nor the HDMI audio.

Thanks for the update, though!

Beans
    Distro

I'm sorry this doesn't work for you. I have a feeling we are not running the same software. I have upgraded to 12.04 with Xfce 4.10 so that might make a difference. I did notice a few sound issues after the upgrade, some good, some bad.
    For one I was able to tweak the sound notification into working (see above). However the microphone needed some serious tweaking and I had to disable HDMI sound output altogether because Pulse kept reverting to it by default and I had not idea how to tell it otherwise.
    Permission denied

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast