Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copy DVD over 4gb in length

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Copy DVD over 4gb in length

Quote Originally Posted by anewguy View Post
    Okay, still strange stuff going on. I don't know if it's linux sata DVD driver problem, a problem in the apps, or because I'm running 12.04 beta (up to date as of last weekend). As I mentioned above, I finally got K3B to go all the way through the disk and create an ISO, so I have an ISO that doesn't have the encryption. Next I tried burning to another DVD-R DL. K3B's output selection screen saw it as a DVD-R DL. When the burning got a little more than half way through (i.e., over the 4.7gb of a regular DVD) it blew out again. This has been getting expensive, so I went to MicroCenter and got a 25 pack of cheap DVD+R DL so I wouldn't keep making coasters out of my expensive DVD DL disks. So I try again with the DVD+R DL - same problem. Since my Windows partition is mounted automatically in Ubuntu, I copied the ISO file to the Windows partition, booted Windows 7, used file explorer to get to the ISO, right-clicked and selected burn to disk. Yep - went through with no problems the first try. The disk seems to play fine - I've jumped around all over in it.

So, why can't my Ubuntu, using Handbrake, K9Copy or K3B consistenly create the ISO without a failure at the 4.7gb range? Why can't I burn the ISO to a DL disk using K3B without getting an error at the same data length?

Seems like I've isolated it to something with how Linux runs on my box or the way the software runs. Either way - works in Windows 7, doesn't work in Ubuntu.

I'm confused.

Dave

One option might be to try replacing cdrkit with cdrtools. See this ppa:

https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Copy DVD over 4gb in length

I'm going to give that a try a little later tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Copy DVD over 4gb in length

I have been having the same problem for some time (including in Oneiric), but the problem for me occurs at the 3.8 GB mark on regular DVDs (DVD-R type) as well, not just on DL DVDs.

I never had these problems in Lucid (I went directly from Lucid to Oneiric).

I have no problem burning DVDs less than 3.8 GB, so the problem isn't my drive (which is the same one I've used since Hardy). The problem occurs with Brasero, k3b, or Gnomebaker, so the front-end seems to be irrelevant.

My suspicion is also that it is related to genisoimage that comes with cdrkit -- I think it is not handling large amounts of data around the 4 GB mark on DVDs. If I'm not mistaken, smaller amounts of data are handled by wodim (or cdrecord when installed) and large amounts of data (around 4 GB or more) handled by genisoimage (or mkisofs if installed).

When the cdrkit vs. cdrtools war started, Debian/(K)Ubuntu replaced cdrecord with wodim and mkisofs with genisoimage, creating symbolic links (so that front-end programs are fooled into using wodim for cdrecord and genisoimage for mkisofs).

It is a real pain to go back to the real cdrtools (instead of cdrkit) and use the real mkisofs instead of genisoimage, and cdrecord instead of wodim, as this guy did:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=852085

Brandon Snider's .deb package for cdrecord installs ok, but not the mkisofs package, as there are lots of errors and "removal dependencies" when genisoimage is removed, which cripples the system.

https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/cdrtools

Ubuntu has made it very difficult to switch (back) to cdrtools. This is probably my biggest gripe with (K)Ubuntu these days.

...or perhaps the problem is not with cdrkit but has something to do with this recent (Dec 2011) update to libdvdread (i.e. maybe the problem wasn't fixed completely/correctly)?

libdvdread (4.2.0-1ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low

* Add 103-iforead-tt-srpt-pointerfix.patch: Fix read/write beyond end of
    an array due to using a length value taken from the DVD, which can
    exceed the allocated size, causing a segmentation fault.
    (LP: #894170)
    Last edited by perspectoff; June 13th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12