Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Solution for Ubuntu 12.04 and realtek N8101 NIC wired network not working

Let's verify a few things:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    dmesg | grep r8
    lsmod | grep r8
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Well, by sheer chance, I figured out what was wrong. In order to make debugging easier, I went to hook up a USB wifi adapter to this system, and I ran 'ip addr' to check what the interface name was. In the output of that I also noticed an eth1 interface. Given that the MAC addresses were completely dissimilar, I guessed that this might be my lost ethernet interface. I changed my /etc/network/interfaces file to reference eth1, saved, ran ifup eth1, and it came up perfectly! I removed the wifi and rebooted, and the eth1 is still fine. Very strange - why didn't it get identified as eth0?

For what it's worth, the lspci output with your grep filter would not have found anything. Here's the actual line for the NIC in my system:

01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For what it's worth, the lspci output with your grep filter would not have found anything.
    You are quite correct; I made a mistake and I apologize. It should have been:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    And then we'd see:
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
    Very strange - why didn't it get identified as eth0?
    It happens once in a while; udev is an imperfect tool. You can certainly ignore it and, as you've seen, everything will work perfectly well. If you are super OCD and it bothers you, edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and also /etc/network/interfaces and immediately reboot. You seem pretty adept, so I'll leave the details to you. If you get stuck, post back and we'll be glad to help.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234