Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pxe server not working

Beans

pxe server not working

i am trying to make a working pxe server that can boot and install onto it's clients by serving the contents of a live iso cd (extracted somewhere of course) i have the boot kernels like vmlinuz and initrd.lz files loading the installation process but for some reason the cdrom media is not being mounted so the installation process can't continue and won't work. i have done everything that i have seen online such as the nfsroot declaration, the root, and netboot configurations and nothing seems to be working, i have exhausted all resources on google searching and i jjust simply want to know how do i get the pxe client to mount the cdrom based on what i am sharing via nfs, in other words how do i get the contents of the nfs share to mount onto the pxe client as the /cdrom directory so only then will it have access to the file through the network and start retrieving them like i want it to do. it will think it't retrieving from the cd but in actuality it's retrieving from the pxe server while it hosts itself as the pseudo device that the client take as being the cd rom

all help is appreciated i have been trying to get this to work for weeks already and all the guides on the internet aren't very easy to follow and all answers haven't been very clear i just simply want to know how to get thr nfs share to mount itself on the client as the cdrom drive media

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: pxe server not working

Did you follow this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up...on-ubuntu-9.10

I think all the important stuff has stayed the same.

Beans

All deleted as it was rather off-topic. Reposted as a How To http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1969041

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonathan L; April 29th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Beans

Look here for instructions on how to do this without a CD or iso file: http://techblog.glendaleacademy.org/?p=36

Beans

i already got it working for ubuntu lucid, i am trying to get it working for debian squeeze, whenever it looks for a disk it looks in the physical drive for the cd contents, i don't want it to do that i want it to look at the nfs share for the files on the cdrom, if that works then all would be fine

Beans

This tutorial covers PXE for different distributions:

http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up...n-debian-lenny

Same deal with Squeeze, you don't need the CD.

Beans

i am trying to get it working for debian squeeze, whenever it looks for a disk it looks in the physical drive for the cd contents, i don't want it to do that i want it to look at the nfs share for the files on the cdrom, if that works then all would be fine
    I believe the magic parts are the APPEND parts of the flags in the pxeboot configuratiion, which I understand are kernel flags, so should work regardless of the distribution:
    Code:
    netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.32:/exports/ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-i386
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan.

Beans

the thing i want to know here is what declaration tells the client to mount the nfs share as /cdrom, i also saw no mention of using the contents of the iso image or cdrom

by the way what does nfsdir do because in some of the documentation on pxelinux i have seen it in the form of this
    Code:
    nfsdir=192.168.1.22:/cdrom
    or somethimes the directory of the file containing the live cd itself
    Code:
    nfsdir=192.168.1.22:/srv/tftp/debian
    i have tried some of these and they don't work when it comes to mounting the nfs share as a cdrom
    Last edited by baronobeefdip; April 24th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan L View Post
    I believe the magic parts are the APPEND parts of the flags in the pxeboot configuratiion, which I understand are kernel flags, so should work regardless of the distribution:
    Code:
    netboot=nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.32:/exports/ubuntu-10.04.3-desktop-i386
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan.
    i tried that already and it's still attempting to look in the /cdrom directory where it will find nothing, i am expecting to remain seeing it say it's looking in the cdrom drive i just want the os to look at the nfs share containing the contents of the cdrom drive while it thinks it looking inside a cdrom drive

i am trying to get the pxe server to install debian squeeze by using the files that were in the cd image or in some cases on the cd itself

nfsroot i don't think determines the directory of what it should mount as a cdrom i think it does something completely different depending on the os you plan on installing because it worked fine in the ubuntu install but it's getting me a different outcome in the debian install

Beans

nfsroot i don't think determines the directory of what it should mount as a cdrom i think it does something completely different depending on the os you plan on installing because it worked fine in the ubuntu install but it's getting me a different outcome in the debian install
    I think you're probably right about that.

The initrd.gz of the pxeboot should have an /etc/fstab in it: have you looked in there?

Then you might be able to mount it "conventionally":
    Code:
    192.168.1.32:/export/something /cdrom ...
    Kind regards,
    Jonathan.
    Last edited by Jonathan L; April 24th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast