Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Beans

Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

i am using vmware, and have enabled the usb device as can be seen by lsusb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

So you installed Backtrack in a virtual machine so you can use ndiswrapper and a dodgey USB device to do penetration testing, injection, hacking, cracking and what all?? Frankly, and I'm sorry to say this, I have no other suggestions.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

yes i wanted to test a few things if possible - mostly for learning etc.

anyway i have posted a code on the previous page that returned the same result.

it's very frustrating as i've searched for a solution for days to no avail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

speed32 first this topic is not supported on the forum, your best option is the aircrack or backtrack forum.

This device is not the device you want to use because it is hard to get it working properly without adding penetration testing.

Also you have added more issues trying to setup a wireless device in a virtual machine while it is not impossible it can be more difficult.
    Thanks

Beans

Thanks alot Chili555 for all help. I managed to get it running with your first few posts, but WPA2-PSK isn't working so I use a open network for now.

Whenever I download something >100 MB the connection is terminated, which is very frustrating. The only way to fix it is to physically reconnect the adapter.

Anyone got it running stable?

Beans

Hi chili555, I just want to say on behalf of everyone, thanks for all the advice.

I downloaded the driver files earlier as you said and used terminal to install ndiswrapper and the drivers, etc.

I got to the point where
    Code:
    root@aurgia-base:~# ndiswrapper -l
    bcmn43xx64 : driver installed
        device (0846:9011) present
    worked, but could not find wlan0 interface with

Code:
    root@aurgia-base:~# iwconfig
    eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.
    I rebooted, tried again with the above, no dice. Then I ran

Code:
    root@aurgia-base:~# dmesg | grep ndis
    root@aurgia-base:~# modprobe ndiswrapper
    root@aurgia-base:~# dmesg | grep ndis
    [  225.348271] ndiswrapper version 1.59 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [  225.654968] ndiswrapper: driver bcmn43xx64 (,08/26/2009, 5.10.79.30) loaded
    [  226.194145] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    root@aurgia-base:~# iwconfig
    eth0      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Bit Rate:300 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
              RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    as you can see modprobing ndiswrapper did the trick. However I'm not in the clear yet. After that I looked on the network manager in the gui, and several wifi networks were shown including my own. However, when I attempted to connect to my wireless, it asked for my password then stalled. After about 5 minutes it asked for my password again. From the looks of it, it's kicking me off because of an incorrect wifi password.

This means that either:

A) The password has been changed recently without my knowledge

B) I'm typing it wrong

or

C) something is screwing up with the authentication.

Or at least those would be viable options, only

A) My other system with Windows 7 has and continues to connect automatically with the same password;

and

B) There is no way in hell I am typing it wrong since it hasn't changed in 4 years.

Which leaves some other issue with the authentication... but what?

I should also mention that I am actually running 64bit Backbox Linux, and not Ubuntu proper. However I'm guessing for the most part, an Ubuntu fix will work with Backbox since a lot of Backbox code was "borrowed" from Ubuntu. It has so far with the wireless drivers, as well as the Nvidia VGA driver issues I was having prior that prevented the GUI from booting (but that's another story.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Which leaves some other issue with the authentication... but what?
    The issue that this is one of the most difficult and tricky devices in Linux to get going; that it is especially so in 64-bit; that ndiswrapper uses Windows XP drivers, not exactly the most robust drivers and undoubtedly not updated or maintained for many years.

The general process of installing and using a wireless device in ndiswrapper is the same for all the Linux distributions I'm familiar with, although I might except Gentoo. Everything about it is weird. It might as well be Klingon!

You might try with your router set to WPA2 only, not mixed-mode WPA and WPA2. You might try with N speeds disabled. You might also set the router to a fixed channel, not Auto. http://community.starhub.com/t5/imag...v=mpbl-1&px=-1 Channel 11 works well for me.

If that doesn't help, I am out of ideas. I am very willing, however, to 'fix' it to the rear wheel of my car while I go shop for a simpler, supported device!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Hey, im getting stuck when connecting to my wifi. I actually made it work the first time and then it stopped working. Now I usually get Bad password when connecting to wifi, sometime i cant even connect my wifi adapter and make it work. Anyone that could help me out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by finem View Post
    Hey, im getting stuck when connecting to my wifi. I actually made it work the first time and then it stopped working. Now I usually get Bad password when connecting to wifi, sometime i cant even connect my wifi adapter and make it work. Anyone that could help me out?
    I have the exact NIC. I spent many hours initially trying to get it working. When I finally got it working, I tested the bare steps on a couple of physical and virtual machines. It works the first time every time with these steps:

How to set up the Netgear WNA3100 Wireless Adapter:
    http://faq.apollo3.com/ljames/ubuntu/networksupport

I'd be glad if you would test the steps to help me see if I'm missing something. The card is very inexpensive and I have bought a few of them to have ready on my bench when working with various clients. I hope to have very simple and easy to follow steps that will work every time.

Again, the steps are easy for me, if my writing is confusing to you, I'd like to know that also. I just revisited the link when posting it for you and noticed some misspelling and typos of which I'm going to address now.

By the way, I had used this thread as well as countless others when I was spending the hours trying to get it working. What was very complicated to me before appears to be simple right now.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apollothethird View Post
    I have the exact NIC. I spent many hours initially trying to get it working. When I finally got it working, I tested the bare steps on a couple of physical and virtual machines. It works the first time every time with these steps:

How to set up the Netgear WNA3100 Wireless Adapter:
    http://faq.apollo3.com/ljames/ubuntu/networksupport

I'd be glad if you would test the steps to help me see if I'm missing something. The card is very inexpensive and I have bought a few of them to have ready on my bench when working with various clients. I hope to have very simple and easy to follow steps that will work every time.

Again, the steps are easy for me, if my writing is confusing to you, I'd like to know that also. I just revisited the link when posting it for you and noticed some misspelling and typos of which I'm going to address now.

By the way, I had used this thread as well as countless others when I was spending the hours trying to get it working. What was very complicated to me before appears to be simple right now.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    I reinstalled ndiswrapper but cannot find the ndiswrapper-dkms. Looked in synaptic and software center. Any ides where I can get it?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast