Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

badda bing badda boom my netgear card was up and running.
    Awesome! Glad it's working. Thank you so much for posting the solution. I am quite sure Google will find it and you will have helped quite a few searchers. Thanks.

In short, searchers, ndiswrapper is a bit buggy right now and you must compile ndiswrapper-1.58rc1 for source.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Awesome! Glad it's working. Thank you so much for posting the solution. I am quite sure Google will find it and you will have helped quite a few searchers. Thanks.

In short, searchers, ndiswrapper is a bit buggy right now and you must compile ndiswrapper-1.58rc1 for source.
    yeah no problem. i couldnt have done it without your earlier posts though. what really pisses me off though is my usb card is the v2 and the v2 doesnt support packet injection. i looked and looked and it just wont do it. i took it out of my computer when i found out and got pissed off and beat it with a hammer. that sucked. so i went out and bought a new card, the netgear N900 WIRELESS DUAL BAND USB ADAPTER, model WNDA4100 with a Ralink-based chipset. then i had to modify two of the files in the driver folder, but all and all it was much easier than the Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter. plus the new one supports packet injection. so thanks again for all your help.

Beans

Netgear WNA 3100 wireless adapter -- How to install?

I am attempting to install the Netgear WNA wireless adapter on an older HP Compaq Computer and have Ubuntu 10.04 installed. I am new to Ubuntu and have liked what I have seen and do not want to uninstall Ubuntu unless absolutely necessary. It is a HP Compaq dc 7100 SFF. Any assistance will be great even if I need to get a different wireless adapter.

Beans
    Distro

St. Nick! How come I didn't get that Rolex I asked about? Was I bad?

Please tell us about your adapter:
    Code:
    lsusb
    even if I need to get a different wireless adapter.
    There are lots of easier adapters, however, this one can be installed fairly easily if you are willing to take a few steps and, most of all, persevere.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

It is a N300 Wireless usb adapter WNA 3100 with a usb cable and adapter cradle. The issue I am having when I put the resource cd in the computer drive is that is does not seem to recognize the cd and will not do the auto run. I do not mind having to do the install without the cd, but will need step by step instructions to do it. Also I plan to update Ubuntu to the current one version 12. I appreciate all your patience an d assistance on this.

PS What is a Rolex? How about a Timex.

Beans
    Distro

I do not mind having to do the install without the cd, but will need step by step instructions to do it.
    The CD is built for Windows, Linux is not Windows. Oranges are not apples. I am quite ready to give you step-by-step instructions, notwithstanding your Rolex breach. Let's start by inserting the device in the USB slot and running this terminal command:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Either post all of it or, if you can readily tell, just the wireless details. Once we know the result, we'll craft an installation strategy and proceed.

http://images.askmen.com/fashion/wat...bmariner_2.jpg

Beans

Ok the wireless I have is a MiFi device through a local provider Etex, which uses Verizon's towers. The device I am using is a Novatel MiFi 2200. How do I do this terminal command you mentioned in your last reply? Let me know what else you need to know if I missed anything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by stnicholas View Post
    Ok the wireless I have is a MiFi device through a local provider Etex, which uses Verizon's towers. The device I am using is a Novatel MiFi 2200. How do I do this terminal command you mentioned in your last reply? Let me know what else you need to know if I missed anything.
    ???

I thought you said you have a WNA3100. No?

Beans

Yes I do, but the computer I am trying to install the WNA 3100 does not have a wireless card installed. That is why we purchased the wireless adapter to access the internet with it. It is an older extra computer we have that I have the Ubuntu installed on to check it out and maybe use it on other computers in the future.

Beans
    Distro

Walk over to the older computer you have Ubuntu installed on and stick the WNA3100 in its USB slot. Open a terminal Ctrl+Alt+t and run the command:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Attached is a sample from my own computer. One of the items listed will be the Netgear wireless device details including the all-important USB.ID, something like 1852:7022 in my example. Obviously, yours will be very different. Write down the details on a postit or any scrap of paper and come back to the computer you are answering these posts with and tell me exactly what it says.

Do you still have the Ubuntu install CD? It may have some packages we need on it. Also, do you have a USB key or similar so we can possibly transfer some packages?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast