Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Under Wicd Network Manager it says No wireless networks found. There are no options to mess with for wireless in here either.
    Let's try to figure out why. First,there is a possibility that Network Manager is actually installed and interfering with Wicd. Let's check:
    Code:
    ps aux | grep -i network
    If you see, among other things, something like this:
    root 1050 0.0 0.0 33176 5504 ? Ssl 11:16 0:01 NetworkManager
    ...then both are installed and no doubt conflicting. I'd see if there is an applet at the top right of your desktop like attached. Try to click the icon, see your network and connect.

Please post back your findings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thank you for such a quick response. When i tried ps aux | grep -i network

root 18835 0.0 0.0 3368 748 pts/1 S+ 08:25 0:00 grep --color=auto -i network

And i dont have an applet in the top showing connectivity of any sort. I'm running off of Backtrackr5 dualboot.

Beans
    Distro

Excellent. Network Manager is not running and probably not installed. In Wicd > Preferences > General Settings, is there an option for wlan0? What is the WPA supplicant driver? In most cases, wext is preferred.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

No option for wlan0. Under Network Interfaces/ Wireless interface: nothing is written. under wired says "eth0".
    WPA Supplicant driver is wext.

Beans
    Distro

Let's be sure there are no extra settings in /etc/network/interfaces:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    If there are any listings there related to wlan0, please remove them. Proofread, save and close gedit.

Wicd requires your user name to be listed in the netdev group; check:
    Code:
    groups jmeyer  <--or whatever your actual user name is
    It should list something like:
    username : username adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin netdev sambashare
    If netdev is not listed, add it:
    Code:
    sudo usermod -aG netdev jmeyer <--or whatever your actual user name is
    Are there any interesting clues here?
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i wicd | tail -n20

Beans

when trying to run the exe file got this message:Archive: /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe
    [/home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe or
    /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe.ZIP, period.

Beans

Had to dl gedit apt. Some reason my phone connection dl'd this and not the nm-tool earlier. so i tried to dl nm-tool again and it did, but it was a nmgnome dl i think. i have KDE. When i run nm-tool it says state: unknown. error: could not connect to NetworkManager.
    When I ran sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces there was wlan0 listed, so i did the latter of instructions.
    groups daemon just showed daemon: daemon
    so i added netdev. Now it says daemon: daemon netdev.
    The last code cat /var does nothing.

Still cant configure network under wireless network drivers and wicd shows no wireless networks even tho a wlan0 scan does. Although i have gedit and nmtool for gnome now

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jkvt265 View Post
    when trying to run the exe file got this message:Archive: /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe
    [/home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe or
    /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/bill/Downloads/WNDA3100v2GENIE_Setup_V2.0.0.1_20111226-signed/Setup.exe.ZIP, period.
    The Windows .exe isn't going to run on Linux. You need ndiswrapper and the Windows XP .inf and .sys files. There are numerous copies posted on this forum; I know because I posted them!

Linux and Windows are two completely different things. Aside from ndiswrapper using the Windows .inf and .sys files and two or three other minor examples, there is no similarity and no compatibility.

Beans
    Distro

When i run nm-tool it says state: unknown. error: could not connect to NetworkManager.
    Probably because you don't have Network Manager installed. You need to work with Network Manager OR Wicd, not both.
    groups daemon just showed daemon: daemon
    Your user name is actually daemon? Interesting and fascinating. When you open a terminal, it says???
    Code:
    daemon@ubuntu:~$
    Is that correct?

Can you actually type in wlan0 in the empty space in Wicd? Please see attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Talking SOLVED Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install? SOLVED

hey yall. i am running backtrack 5 r3 as the only system on my laptop. i have a netgear wnda3100v2. i have the drivers installed finally. when i do the
    Code:
    # lsusb
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c504 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse+Keyboard Receiver
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:9011 NetGear, Inc. WNDA3100v2 802.11abgn [Broadcom BCM4323]
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    it registers the netgear card. when i go to
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    bcmn43xx32 : driver installed
        device (0846:9011) present
    it says the driver is installed and present. when i go to
    Code:
    iwconfig
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"AndroidTether"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: B0:EC:71:AB:14:A8   
              Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=57/70  Signal level=-53 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:10   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    that wlan0 is my internal card but it sucks balls and i dont want to use it if i can get this netgear up and running. when i go to
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    . when i went to my windows wireless drivers and pulled up my drivers from my win xp install (through my eternet networking) it tells me that i dont have ndiswrpper installed??????? so i went to
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ndiswrapper-dkms ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-dkms
    it tells me E:couldnt find package ndiswrapper-dkms. ?!?!?! so i opened up my synaptic and reinstalled ALL ndiswrapper software and when i went to
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    i get FATAL:module ndiswrapper not found still. please help me. please please please.. i am completely new to all of this. i have only been using the linux system for a few days now but i really want to learn it.also im running ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)

UPDATE
    ok. i found out the problem was with the ndiswrapper. what i did was completely uninstalled ALL ndis wrrapper components then rolled back to the kernal ndiswrapper-1.58rc1, of couse i had to compile the tarball.for instructions on how to rollback kernal versions and compile .tar files read this http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?pid=17440#p17440
    if you do an update you will have to recompile your ndiswrapper because it causes it to ,for lack of a better term "break". after doing that i uninstalled my built in wlan chipset and then rebooted linux. after everything started back up i went to
    Code:
    iwconfig
    wlan2     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Bit Rate:300 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
              RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.
    after seeing the wlan2 on there i knew that my netgear card was installed and registering. so i went to my wicd network manager and went in to prefrences and changed my wlan prefrence to wlan2. then saved that and went to refresh. badda bing badda boom my netgear card was up and running. SWEET. the crazy thing is that i have never used linux system before five days ago and with all the problems that i had i got it figured out before anyone could reply to my post. BUT, i couldnt have done it without the support of Chilli555's older posts. so, thank you very much. you are positively brilliant with the linux wireless system. thank you thank you thank you. good luck everyone else with your netgear problems, they really are a bitch. just remember, any questions just go to the search part of the forums and type in general problem and odds are someone else had that problem already and its somewhere. if that fails GOOGLE. good luck everyone.
    Last edited by shane8492; December 26th, 2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: solved problem

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast