Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Beans

Re: Netgear WNDA 3100 v2 wireless adapter -- How to install?

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Ahh! Much better. You have 0846:9011, so don't use the files I attached; use these instead. You will want to install bcmn43xx32.inf or bcmn43xx64.inf depending on whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit system
    Thank you chili555! You just saved me from banging my head in frustration for days! Its all about the driver! I was using bcmwlhigh6 and received the following error:

[ 1664.891846] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:199): couldn't prepare driver 'bcmwlhigh6'
    [ 1664.891922] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:121): couldn't load driver 'bcmwlhigh6'

All because I was using the wrong driver. bcmn43xx32.inf worked for me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Let's all say that again louder so the searchers will hear it: Its all about the driver!

The driver has to match your architecture; that is 32- or 64-bit and the .inf file must list your usb.id, in a case above 0846:9011 and, finally, it must be the Windows XP files. Not Vista, not 7, not 98SE but XP.

There are lots of versions running around, so check and be sure. If in doubt, stop and ask.

As an example, if you have the device I mentioned above and you can't see this in the .inf file, you have the wrong file:
    ;-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ; x86 - Win9x, Win2K, WinXP
    ;
    [BROADCOM]
    %BCM430ND_DeviceDesc% = BCM43XNMD, USB\VID_0846&PID_9011

;-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by chili555; November 29th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Hi guys,

Another poor soul lost with its WNDA 3100 v2 adapter. I'm on Linux Mint 14 (based on Ubuntu 12.10).

The good news is I followed the various advices in this forum post + followed some links and I managed to fix: the modprobe fatal error, install the driver and get the WNDA 3100 v2 adapter recognised.

Problem is it doesn't work as expected (note: it obviously works perfectly under windows XP or 8). It doesn't show me all the available networks at home and even shows some which I cannot detect with any other device (I've got 3 different WiFi devices at home including a WiFi scanner on my smartphone which works flawlessly). In addition the WNDA3100v2 is a dual band adapter and under linux it can only see the 2.4 GHz SSIDs, none of the 5 GHz networks are detected. So in fact I couldn't really test if the adapter is actually working (by the way as soon as I run the modprobe command, the LED on the adapter goes off).

Obviously my network is one of the not detected networks (both in 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), so my goal is:
    1 - Fix the detection of the 2.4 GHz networks so I can at least detect mine and have a connection to internet (might this be because I'm using channel 13? It worked under windows...)
    2 - Make the 5 GHz capability work so I can connect to my 5 GHz network, it is important as the 2.4 GHz band is quite saturated at my place (big building, lots of networks, lots of interference).

Thx for the help already provided in the earlier replies of this post and looking forward for more info.

Cheers

Beans

HI My name is Nenene and I'm fairly new to Linux. This is wonderful, that is what I comprehend of it. Thank you Chili.

I have followed this thread as far as I can trying to install the WNDA3100V2 dongle.

I get this result

fuzzer@zeferis:/etc/tmpinst$ dmesg | grep ndis
    [ 2621.698982] ndiswrapper version 1.57 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 2621.723199] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

The dir ahown a where the broadcom files are

iwconfig still shows no wireless extensions. I do not have wine installed but do have the Broadcom files extracted and in a dir where I can get to them. I'm not sure what to do next. I also have a bit of a problem with comprehension because of a disability. Makes it harder to understand what you're writing but I muddle through.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

I will try to explain carefully and thoroughly. Stop me and ask again if I go a bit too fast. Let's see how far you've gotten and try to fix it from here. Please open the termnal and run and post:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    That's an L for 'list'; it will give us some diagnostic clues. Thank you.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I will try to explain carefully and thoroughly. Stop me and ask again if I go a bit too fast. Let's see how far you've gotten and try to fix it from here. Please open the terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    That's an L for 'list'; it will give us some diagnostic clues. Thank you.
    Some questions first please.

I live in a dorm. and this computer is a project of sorts. Right now I have to take it to the day room to access the network hardwire. If I try to boot the computer in my room is waits about a minute and a half looking for the network which isn't there. Everything else here is wifi.

Last night I took the CPU downstairs to the net connection there and did and update. Is it possible to do this without having to be hooked to the hardwire? I can ask questions from my netbook and do the work on the desktop.

Oh yes I'm running 12.04.

"Ah yes, she can be taught." - My brother

And you can go a bit faster. The problem is comprehension, not thinking.

I'm going to boot the desktop and see if I can do it here. Hopefully Chili is around.

Beans

Sorry double post. I should have gotten my results before I posted.

ndiswrapper -l gives me two results.

First is Command... is avail... in /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper. Command not located because /usr/sbin is not in path environment variable. Likely cause lack of admin privileges. I'm sure you know what the entire error says.

I've run into this before and have yet to work out how to change either the user privs or the environment variable. I'm having problems with users and privileges. There is only one user on my desktop.

Second result was sudo ndiswrapper -l That just dropped me back to the command line.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Last night I took the CPU downstairs to the net connection there and did and update. Is it possible to do this without having to be hooked to the hardwire?
    Absolutely.
    Second result was sudo ndiswrapper -l That just dropped me back to the command line.
    That typically means there is no ndiswrapper driver installed at all.
    do have the Broadcom files extracted and in a dir where I can get to them. I'm not sure what to do next.
    Let's make sure we install the files appropriate to your setup. First, we need to make sure what device you have; please run and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Feel free to trim away everything that isn't your Netgear. Second, we need to be sure if you have a 32- or 64-bit system. Please run:
    Code:
    arch
    32-bit will return i686 and 64-bit will return x86_64. Therefor, we'll need to be sure to install the 32- or 64-bit Windows XP files matching.

What files do you have in your Broadcom files? What are the names of the folders?

Beans

Sup, just thought I would share some since I just spent 7 hours trying to fix this thing and finally made it.

I tried all guides imaginable. Nothing worked at all.

I gave up trying to make it run on 64 bit since people said it was rubbish and unstable, that was the first step.

I made a complete reinstall of ubuntu, from there I downloaded ndiswrapper from the software center + the sources. (I allways tried the developers website the other times).

Then downloaded the drivers (I'm so sorry that I lost the source for this )

Launched ndiswrapper from the dash, loaded the drive and it worked perfectly. I was reaaally surprised this worked since all other advanced ways (yes, i'm new to this) had failed.

Anyway, this is a complete mystery to me. But I guess that I would recommend people to try the easy ways first, it might work with no effort at all. And dont bother with the 64 version.

I will try to look up the source again.

I want to thank the site for all the great people trying to help tho, keep it up!

Beans

Hey guys!

I'm also new to linux and this problem with the wnda3100 v2 has been driving me mad.

I have tried quite a few things already and now I'm already at the stage that the device is recognised with the driver and I also have the wlan0 interface. Still, it's not showing me any network.

I'm running xubuntu 64 bit. My outputs are:

Code:
    $lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0846:9011 NetGear, Inc. WNDA3100v2 802.11abgn [Broadcom BCM4323]
    Code:
    $ndiswrapper -l

bcmn43xx64 : driver installed
        device (0846:9011) present
    Code:
    $dmesg | grep ndis

[    7.074658] ndiswrapper version 1.58rc1 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [    7.583067] ndiswrapper: driver bcmn43xx64 (,08/26/2009, 5.10.79.30) loaded
    [    7.839771] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    and finally:

Code:
    $iwconfig

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Bit Rate:300 Mb/s   Tx-Power:32 dBm   
              RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    I would be very grateful for any help. I was a complete computer noob until just a few months ago, now using my few days off for setting up Xubuntu and still struggling with understanding all these things. But it'll be worth it I hope.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast