Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I give Oracle Linux or Mandriva a shot potentially?

Beans

Should I give Oracle Linux or Mandriva a shot potentially?

Hi there guys! I found out that Oracle Linux is free, 'cause I wasn't sure if whether or not it was for a while, due to having to pay for Oracle's other OS, Solaris, if you wanna obtain it, and I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to at least test it to see if it's a good option for either home or enterprise use, same with Mandriva.

I already know of Ubuntu's home and enterprise potential because the ability to build up from a minimal install is a really powerful asset, especially in enterprise/educational environments, but also in home/personal environments.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Should I give Oracle Linux or Mandriva a shot potentially?

I don't know much about Oracle Linux, but instead of Mandriva I would rather try the more free (as in speech) mageia Linux. But, it sounds like you lean more to commercial distros.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: Should I give Oracle Linux or Mandriva a shot potentially?

A little bit of both. Commercial distros are most commonly used in enterprise/eductaional environments, but I see community-driven distros' potential in the enterprise world too, Ubuntu customized from a minimal install would be perfect in a corporate enterprise or educational environment, as the admin would have complete control over how their computers' OS would be set up.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; April 23rd, 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ladies and Gentle men , Here is Ubuntu for Business .
    http://www.ubuntu.com/business/desktop/remix
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

Still think a minimal install would be best, due to the full customization potential that minimal installs give you.

Beans

With the disclaimer that I haven't tried Oracle Linux personally, and that I'm probably just shooting from the hip here, what I do know about it is this:

- It's basically Red Hat with a newer kernel
    - It primarily exists for running Oracle server products as an alternative to RHEL (which is a popular platform for the same)
    - I've yet to use an Oracle product that suggested they cared about the end user experience

If they're now presenting it as a desktop option, maybe there's something to it; but if you want a good commercial desktop-oriented distro you might be better off looking at Suse.

Beans

Would also say Manrdiva, Mageia or OpenSUSE. All 3 are fab and feel work orientated enough to allow you to get your stuff done ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk

Beans

My vote is for Scientific Linux 6.2. It's based on RHEL (like CentOS). I have run previous versions on my critical desktops and it has been rock solid. It's put together by Fermilab, CERN, and various other labs and universities around the world.

Of course there is also Debain stable or Ubuntu LTS.

Edit: I like Opensuse too.
    Last edited by Antman; April 27th, 2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added opensuse

Beans

What will the main use of this computer be? I'm not a big fan of Mandriva, but if you were going in that direction, I would get SUSE.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    Hi there guys! I found out that Oracle Linux is free, 'cause I wasn't sure if whether or not it was for a while, due to having to pay for Oracle's other OS, Solaris, if you wanna obtain it, and I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to at least test it to see if it's a good option for either home or enterprise use, same with Mandriva.

I already know of Ubuntu's home and enterprise potential because the ability to build up from a minimal install is a really powerful asset, especially in enterprise/educational environments, but also in home/personal environments.
    oracle linux is a clone of redhat linux, which I've never used, I've used redhat's communinty project fedora, which is my favorite distro. so oracle may be worth a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast