Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Install Tor

Beans

Install Tor

Hi all, I'm running ubuntu 11.10 in a Toshiba portege Z830 64 bits and I try install Tor browser following this tutorial I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOEA8rXdew the think is when I finished install tor and follow the second that is sudo gedit /etc/polipo/config the window that appear is empty and in the terminal say that is not such file or directory, any sugestion?

Thanks in advance!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Install Tor

That tutorial is WRONG! Firstly, the Tor FAQ has always said NOT to install Tor from the repositories because the package is permanently out of date. Secondly, it is no longer necessary to install Tor, all you need to do is download the Tor browser bundle and run it, no installation is necessary.

Tor Browser Bundle

Beans

Thanks jim_deadlock for your fast reply, I did what u said, and I have already installed. Now when I'm going to the folder and double click in start tor browsing, give me an error telling vidalia exited abnormally, not idea, I think I should read much more about it. I used run it in Windows, but now I see with linux is much more different, and I'm newbie with it

Beans

Thanks jim_deadlock for your fast reply, I did what u said, and I have already installed. Now when I'm going to the folder and double click in start tor browsing, give me an error telling vidalia exited abnormally, not idea, I think I should read much more about it. I used run it in Windows, but now I see with linux is much more different, and I'm newbie with it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Try running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove tor
    in the terminal and then restart Vidalia from the bundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    That tutorial is WRONG! Firstly, the Tor FAQ has always said NOT to install Tor from the repositories because the package is permanently out of date. Secondly, it is no longer necessary to install Tor, all you need to do is download the Tor browser bundle and run it, no installation is necessary.

Tor Browser Bundle
    Actually, the repo provided by torproject.org itself is up to date. This is useful if you don't want to use Tor but want to use your computer as a relay to help others (like my case)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gurrunaki View Post
    Hi all, I'm running ubuntu 11.10 in a Toshiba portege Z830 64 bits and I try install Tor browser following this tutorial I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXOEA8rXdew the think is when I finished install tor and follow the second that is sudo gedit /etc/polipo/config the window that appear is empty and in the terminal say that is not such file or directory, any sugestion?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Tor isn't recommended anymore. You have sniffers at the ends of all of those anonymous servers worldwide. Why don't you use VPN instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by 11866860
    Actually, the repo provided by torproject.org itself is up to date.
    Yes indeed but the guy in the video was installing from the Ubuntu repo which is a classic schoolboy error.

Quote Originally Posted by techsupport View Post
    Tor isn't recommended anymore. You have sniffers at the ends of all of those anonymous servers worldwide. Why don't you use VPN instead?
    Well free VPNs are not usually much safer, are they? By the way do you know any good ones? free or not very expensive.

Cheers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fara View Post
    Well free VPNs are not usually much safer, are they? By the way do you know any good ones? free or not very expensive.

Cheers
    They are low profile, which is your best bet now.. If you want to be serious about what you are doing, it won't be free. CISCO business routers with VPN around 200 us dollars. You will need remote hosts too. Those aren't free unless you have access to a edu org server somewhere because you installed it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by techsupport View Post
    They are low profile, which is your best bet now.. If you want to be serious about what you are doing, it won't be free. CISCO business routers with VPN around 200 us dollars. You will need remote hosts too. Those aren't free unless you have access to a edu org server somewhere because you installed it for them.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast