Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Install Tor

Beans

Re: Install Tor

Just a small say about VPN, Iḿ getting crazy try find a good one, actually I have vpntunnel which I can not install in my distro from ubuntu and I can only run in windows. Just few days ago I read that Sweden is not anymore a safety country like used to be about protection of data. Iceland looks to be the perfect one at the moment, many blogers with political problems are there, so I tried find a VPN wich company is hosted in Iceland, with the option pay with paysafecard, ufff, I asking much????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by techsupport View Post
    Tor isn't recommended anymore. You have sniffers at the ends of all of those anonymous servers worldwide. Why don't you use VPN instead?
    On whose authority was this conclusion arrived at? Yes, exit nodes can potentially be sniffed, this does not mean "You have sniffers at the ends of all of those anonymous servers worldwide".

VPN's cost money, therefore tying you to payment data.. unless you go nuts and do a prepaid card at a gas station that you are sure has no security cameras (totally being sarcastic here but you get the point) you could have that prepaid card sent to a p.o. box (oh lord, you need a faked ID to do that anonymously), you can set up a p.o. box online You do the math on that.

For my money ($0), tor-browser on a live-cd is full of win. Proxy chains browsed via a live-cd with a spoofed MAC = even better.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by techsupport View Post
    Tor isn't recommended anymore. You have sniffers at the ends of all of those anonymous servers worldwide. Why don't you use VPN instead?
    Yes, but that doesn't mean ALL nodes are bad. In fact, even if bad nodes can read your information, they still don't know where that traffic originated from.
    I would choose Tor over VPNs everyday, because Tor is really hard to take down.

Beans

I have another question, running a IRC client like kvirc or XChat under Tor? Will keep your connexion hidden?

Beans
    Distro

Yes it is possible to set it up.. it isn't automatically going to work that way, but its much easier to install the chatzilla plugin to tor browser.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    On whose authority was this conclusion arrived at? Yes, exit nodes can potentially be sniffed, this does not mean "You have sniffers at the ends of all of those anonymous servers worldwide".

VPN's cost money, therefore tying you to payment data.. unless you go nuts and do a prepaid card at a gas station that you are sure has no security cameras (totally being sarcastic here but you get the point) you could have that prepaid card sent to a p.o. box (oh lord, you need a faked ID to do that anonymously), you can set up a p.o. box online You do the math on that.

For my money ($0), tor-browser on a live-cd is full of win. Proxy chains browsed via a live-cd with a spoofed MAC = even better.
    I'm not going to teach someone how to set up secured tunneling with VPNs on a public forum to be truly anonymous. This is for new Ubuntu users. Besides, I would rather use my own installed VPNs and private tunneling and my own blackboxes bouncing it securely around the world first instead of TOR that is already on their gov/org watch lists. That's crazy. TOR is not anonymous anymore guys. Be real. That's how you go to jail eventually or find yourself in some dungeon somewhere - and debugging code for the rest of your lives in a basement in some "unknown" location. ha ha ha no thank q.

over and out!
    Last edited by techsupport; April 24th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You are clearly misinformed and irresponsibly paranoid. Can you offer up some evidence of tor's insecurity? Jail? A dungeon? Are you high? All the best!

Beans

You are clearly misinformed and irresponsibly paranoid. Jail? A dungeon? Are you high? All the best!
    I'm not using TOR for anything except to show users a history lesson about internet privacy, and what not to use anymore. Thanks though.

Have fun debugging code in basement somewhere after you get busted.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro

Busted doing what? What are you insinuating? You left out the part where you prove your contention.

Beans

Busted doing what? What are you insinuating? You left out the part where you prove your contention.
    Ha ha ha.. Right, not doing nothing. That might work with them, not me. NIMBY.

I love your sense of humour. You got some secret agent man sitting at the end of those TOR servers reading about your latest adventures in the world reading celebrity gossip web sites or something. I bet you guys sure keep boris badenov entertained. lol

Cheers!
    Last edited by techsupport; April 25th, 2012 at 02:02 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast