Thread: Sentelic Touchpad not working

Beans

Angry Sentelic Touchpad not working

Hi guys,

i'm using ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. the touchpad isn't identified properly. so it's used as a regular mouse, not as a touchpad. it's a sentelic touchpad. i've installed a 3.3.2 kernel form the mainline, i tought the newest driver should work, but i don't.
    when i check grep -i sentelic /boot/config-$(uname -r), it appears
    CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SENTELIC=y
    this should be ok, isn't it?

what can i do to make the touchpad working? what information do you need to help me?

thank you in advance!

kind regards

Beans

Re: Sentelic Touchpad not working

Hi,

anything i can provide you that you can help me?
    here is dmesg:
    http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum...8282-dmesg.txt
    and here the devices:
    http://media.cdn.ubuntu-de.org/forum...82-devices.txt

Beans

hey dude ,i had this problem with ubuntu 11.10 64bit "AMD" on dell n5110 ,recently i upgraded to ubuntu 12.04 with 32bit "intel",after that i had my touchpad recognized with option of 2 finger scrolling
    i think that the version 32 bit is more suitable for laptops specially if you have intel processor not AMD

Beans

hi,

yes i'm using an 32bit intel system. but it is a intel i5 2450M with 8gb ram and nvidia gt540M optimus. so the 64bit system is the better choice for all the other hardware.

but maybe anybody knows how to transfer the 32bit advantages to the 64bit system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by miz0ooo0 View Post
    hey dude ,i had this problem with ubuntu 11.10 64bit "AMD" on dell n5110 ,recently i upgraded to ubuntu 12.04 with 32bit "intel",after that i had my touchpad recognized with option of 2 finger scrolling
    i think that the version 32 bit is more suitable for laptops specially if you have intel processor not AMD
    If your computer (laptop, desktop, whatever) has a 64 bit processor, use 64 bit; if not, use 32 bit. As far as driver support goes the 32 bit kernel is no different than the 64, AFAIK.
    The reason it started working for miz0oooo0 is that they had a kernel upgrade in between 11.10 and 12.04.

OP, an upgrade to 12.04 seems to be one solution to your problem. Otherwise, there's always this thread.

Beans

Hi,

i already tried to use 12.04, without success! that's the strange thing!

maybe it's a general problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...69/comments/91

what do you think? what could i do? what information could i provide? or maybe miz0ooo0 could provide some of his informations?

and sorry for my mistake, i'm using a 64 bit system, not a 32bit. using a 32bit kernel makes no sense for my configuration.

thank you in advance for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re 32 bit vs 64 bit, it really doesn't matter which one you're running. I was merely pointing out the fallacy of the previous poster's response.
    Basically your problem is that your trackpad is not using its multitouch capability, but still works otherwise? If so, you may have to http://askubuntu.com/questions/27990...-x350-notebooklive with it. Sentelics support seems to be years behind synaptics.