Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu unexpectedly shuts down itself -- why?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu unexpectedly shuts down itself -- why?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I run all of my machines without filters because they become clogged so quickly. Instead, I have a weekly ritual of taking them all out to the garage by the air compressor, setting the tool pressure very low, using a rubber tip nozzle and CAREFULLY dusting them out.

Even after a week, ther is plenty of dust. But the filters get plugged and choked,too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Laptops breed dust bunnies like crazy.

I take old desktops out to the shop and hit them with 80 PSI full blast. They always look new when I am done lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

80 psi! Dang, lad!

Don't you get memory modules and graphics cards flying around? That's like a fire hose!

I wouldn't recommend THAT alexei_!
    Last edited by QIII; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had a desktop computer that, after a couple of years, starting overheating. The only thing that did any good was getting a small fan from WalMart ($4.98 or something), removing one side cover and having the fan blow on the cpu whenever the computer was on. That worked for a couple more years until finally even that didn't work. I haven't a clue why. But, it is a pain but a thought particularly if the option is a new computer that is not in the budget.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by agillator View Post
    I had a desktop computer that, after a couple of years, starting overheating. The only thing that did any good was getting a small fan from WalMart ($4.98 or something), removing one side cover and having the fan blow on the cpu whenever the computer was on. That worked for a couple more years until finally even that didn't work. I haven't a clue why. But, it is a pain but a thought particularly if the option is a new computer that is not in the budget.
    I dare say the thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink had dried out. I had to renew that myself on a laptop a couple of years back. It is not hard. The most difficult part is not putting too much on when you put it back together.
    Michael

Beans

I never use thermal paste. I just smooth each surface. Metal to metal contact has always proven best for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The problem with lapping is that unless you have very precise equipment (machining equipment), you will not get a surface flat to the tolerances you need. Doing it by hand will invariably lead to a convex surface. Furthermore, there will always be microscopic voids on the surface of the heat sink that preclude a perfect metal to metal mating. That means there will be air pockets. Thermal compound is not really a very good conductor of heat, but it is in the range of 100 times better than air.

Besides, a glass smooth HSF base may not be really necessary. The top of the CPU is not perfectly flat or smooth. If you lap it flat, you run the risk of destroying it.

Lapping a cylinder head by hand on a piece of float glass on a dead flat surface works because the surface of the head is large, the head is short compared to its surface area and it doesn't tip. The same is not true for a tall heat sink with a 1" square base.

I think lapping is at best a waste of time and at worst dangerous. A "metal to metal" HSF solution isn't metal to metal. It's some metal to metal and some metal to air, meaning it's less, rather than more, efficient.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

This is quite an old thread, so I don't know whether anybody is still interested.
    Anyway, I also suffered from unexpected shutdowns.
    Windows XP worked OK, as well as a very old Ubuntu I had on another disk.
    I couldn't find anything relevant in the logs.
    H/W indicators like temperature, voltages etc all seemed OK. Also measured power supply voltages, ran motherboard diagnostics (from Windows).
    Trying to figure out when the shutdown first occurred, I was starting to suspect a software update gone wrong.
    And, indeed, after poking around a lot, dpkg told me that the package "apparmor" and a few related packages were incompletely configured. Removing and re-installing those seems to have solved the problem.
    Wasn't easy because the system kept shutting down a few minutes after booting. I eventually booted SuperGrub from CD, asked it to boot an Ubuntu system, and then worked from there to remove apparmor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alexei_ View Post
    Ubuntu unexpectedly shuts down itself -- why?
    How to troubleshoot?
    How to fix?
    hi
    before i red you message with the "critical ....". same hapened to some month ago a couple of times. my first idea was - oh same as my problem i had.
    no message in /var/log just gone. looks like somebody execed the command "poweroff or halt".
    i ain't got the heat message - no warning - tschup and away.
    my problem (fixed by self) was not the system.i was the problem. after cleaning the fan - every thing is ok - since month.
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12