Thread: 12.04 and unetbootin

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink 12.04 and unetbootin

I know that unetbootin doesn't show 12.04 in the list of available releases yet, but I downloaded the i386 ISO of 12.04 to install on my netbook and used unetbootin to burn it to a usb flash drive and a usb microusb card in my portable card reader/writer. Everytime I tried to install I got an error about not being able to copy some file. So I thought ok, bad image. I downloaded again and ran unetbootin again. Now it goes to the purple screen with the Ubuntu and the moving dots, then goes to a busybox initramfs error saying it can't mount loop device to cow and that a device mount is using the -o option. Doesn't matter what I do - same error.

So......I'm wondering, even though it's ubuntu, if unetbootin doesn't pull the release id down from releases, is it possible that even though it's an Ubuntu ISO it doesn't process it correctly? If so, does anyone know how to get 12.04 onto a netbook short of using an external CD drive (which I don't have)?

Also, I must have missed it somewhere - can someone point me to the md5 for 12.04 i386 desktop image?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave

Beans

Re: 12.04 and unetbootin

Anewguy, I did my install of 12.04 with unetbootin, but with the windows version. It worked quite well with no unusual happenings.

The sum depends on what was currently in the daily image you installed. Here is the current

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/
    Last edited by bkratz; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: 12.04 and unetbootin

Thanks!! It appears I should probably use the Windows version, and to top it off while I thought I was getting the most current when I downloaded from ubuntu.com, it appears there are newer versions in the link you provided! I'm going to use one of those as well.

Thanks again! Hope things are going great!

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Assuming that 12.04 contains the startup-disk-creator you can burn the iso file you have to a CD, boot to that on any machine with a CD drive, then run the startup-disk-creator application which will, by default, make a bootable USB live version of the running ubuntu OS. You should then be able to use that to install to your netbook.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

You can also use the Universal USB Installer from PenDriveLinux.com.

Ubuntu 12.04 is not in their list either, but if you choose the Syslinux version at the bottom of their list, it works fine. I've used this for every 12.04 version so far without problems.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: 12.04 and unetbootin

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Assuming that 12.04 contains the startup-disk-creator you can burn the iso file you have to a CD, boot to that on any machine with a CD drive, then run the startup-disk-creator application which will, by default, make a bootable USB live version of the running ubuntu OS. You should then be able to use that to install to your netbook.
    I tried the suggestions 1 at a time and when I got to yours it worked great! Thanks!

Mark - thanks for the suggestion - I'm definitely keeping that in mind for next time!

Dave