Thread: Slow USB copy workaround for Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Slow USB copy workaround for Ubuntu 10.04

This is for people who are using Ubuntu 10.04 and are extremely frustrated with slow copy to USB pendrives or hard disks AND do not want to upgrade their kernels (I read somewhere that Ubuntu-2.6.32-41.88 kernel has this bug fixed) because they do not want to reinstall their wireless and Nvidia drivers .

I've written a simple cmd line tool - 'cpc' - copy in chunks, which will copy a large file in chunks of 100MB by default. You can also mention the chunk size in MB as an argument.
    It basically copies 100MB waits for 5 secs, copies the next 100MB and so on....

It works ! I have tested with a 3.8GB file and it copied it in around 12 mins. I know its slow, but its atleast reliable and DOES NOT freeze your system (unlike the Nautilus copy).

I've attached both the source and binary. Just type - './cpc' in the extracted directory
    for usage directions.

IT DOES NOT SUPPORT COPYING OF DIRECTORIES OR RECURSIVE COPYING !
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mutex023; April 22nd, 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach the files

Beans

Re: Slow USB copy workaround for Ubuntu 10.04

Works great, thanks for posting.

As a side note, is it possible to provide the sleep time (5 secs) as an optional command line parameter ( from sleep(5) to sleep(argv[4]) ), in case it needs to be changed. Tried to edit the source code but was unsuccessful, (not a C expert).
    Last edited by erind; April 23rd, 2012 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sure, will work on it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by erind View Post
    As a side note, is it possible to provide the sleep time (5 secs) as an optional command line parameter ( from sleep(5) to sleep(argv[4]) ), in case it needs to be changed. Tried to edit the source code but was unsuccessful, (not a C expert).
    Here is the updated version which will take the sleep time as a command line parameter.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mutex023 View Post
    Here is the updated version which will take the sleep time as a command line parameter.
    Perfect! Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Great. I've put it into my /bin folder.

It's odd how they are unable to fix this problem. It has been around for years. In fact I've never had an Ubuntu installation in which the copying of larger files to an USB drive/stick was working correctly.