Thread: Any activity on AWN (Avant Window Navigator)?

Beans

Any activity on AWN (Avant Window Navigator)?

I was wondering if there's any ongoing development with Avant Window Navigator?

It's my favorite dock... I've tried both Docky and Cairo-Dock and while they're nice, neither completely meets my needs like AWN does. However, AWN does have a couple bugs that it seems to have had for a couple years, and it would really be a shame if no further development was done on AWN.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Any activity on AWN (Avant Window Navigator)?

Looks dead to me. The last release was over 2 years, AWN's own website is down, and its external forum is pretty much overrun by spambots. It was my favorite dock too, and it's a shame it was abandoned.

Beans
    Hidden!

Looks like it still has some ubuntu life left in it

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ndow-navigator

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    Looks like it still has some ubuntu life left in it

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ndow-navigator
    It looks like the only updates it's received though are just for the .deb package, to adjust some of the dependencies.

In AWN, the two bugs I'm experiencing are first, the one everyone complains about, the trash applet opens Firefox instead of the file manager, and second, at least in Lubuntu, if I plug in a USB drive and choose to open the drive from the window that pops up when you plug it in, AWN doesn't track that file manager window.

I tried Docky but in addition to it apparently not having a main menu applet, one of the other problems I have with it is the "show desktop" applet. I like to have the show desktop applet all the way in the bottom right-hand corner, and I like to have it hide underneath all the windows, so that if I throw my mouse down into that corner I can just click and have it show the desktop. With Docky, and with Cairo-Dock for that matter, they won't position the applet far enough to the right.

With Docky there doesn't seem to be a way to position the dock properly to make that happen, and in Cairo, you can create a secondary dock and put it in the corner but it doesn't put the applet in the very corner of the screen, it's a little to the left, so throwing the mouse into the corner doesn't work.