Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone interested in creating a KDE/Gnome comparison page?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anyone interested in creating a KDE/Gnome comparison page?

One of the frequently asked questions on these forums is "What's the difference between Gnome and KDE?" and, of course, the follow-up "Which should I use?"

I hate to say it (because my guide is rather lame), but currently, based on a Google search, my little guide to KDE and Gnome is probably the most comprehensive on the web right now (in terms of detail).

That's sad. Really. I'm not bragging. I'm saying "shame on the web" for having my stupid guide be the most detailed.

You'll notice if you look at the KDE and Gnome threads on here that most people use very vague terminology to talk about the two major desktop environments: "Windows-like," "easy," "confusing," "simple," "professional," "clean," "smooth."

All of those terms are abstract and don't really give a new user a sense of what the real differences are between Gnome and KDE.

I'm interested in working together with anyone who's willing to to create a page that explains concrete differences between Gnome and KDE... with screenshots--showing both the default setups in Ubuntu and Kubuntu and showing how they can be configured to be similar or different.

I've done a fair share of tutorials in my time, but I'm getting a bit tired, and I don't think I can do this by myself. I also don't know if my poor little Psychocats site would be able to handle the bandwidth if we have some nice high-quality screenshots that touch on many aspects of Gnome and KDE.

Um... any volunteers?

P.S. I'm particularly interested in individuals who are well-versed in both desktop environments and not heavily biased in favor of one or the other. It would also be nice if someone happened to have a place to host it--somewhere that doesn't have bandwidth as an issue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anyone interested in creating a KDE/Gnome comparison page?

aysiu what about partnering with a few to update what you already have bring it full circle. maybe then transfer that section to a deacated host. why start from nothing when you have a strong base.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

I think it's a very nice idea, and probably an unbiased view of the whole situation is very much needed. However, I think it will be hard to do it, without ending up in a flame war/bashing. It's also hard to find people who are equally experienced in both GNOME and KDE.

I wish I could help, but my experience leans more on KDE. Not that I didn't want to learn GNOME, I just didn't have enough time/oppurtunity to sit down with it for more than a day.

But if you need any help regarding configuring stuff in KDE, you know where to find me.

P.S. I really hope this doesn't end up in flames. Oh, and get yourself ready for trolls. No matter how much you try to be unbiased, there will always be people whom you can't please enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

SD-Plissken: That very well could be how it goes. I'd really like it to be more of a community effort, though.

Fenyx: Yeah, I can imagine trolls may come around, but I won't need their help. I don't think it's that difficult to be unbiased in creating a comparison site. You don't have to say which is better, especially if you have screenshots. You can just show people the differences... "This is how you accomplish such-and-such a task in Gnome. This is how you accomplish that same task in KDE. This is what the KDE print dialogue looks like. This is what the Gnome print dialogue looks like."

Then people who see the concrete differences can make up their own minds which they prefer.
    Last edited by aysiu; June 14th, 2006 at 04:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fenyx why would it turn to flames? all this is about is getting things updated right, and asking for help with it.

aysiu I can kind of see where you want to go with this. person (A) could set-up two partitions one for KDE one for Gnome maybe run them both for a set amount of time, and taking screen shots of diffrent aspects. might even list the pros/cons of each in the end, however make note that the experience he/she had may not be that of every enduser.
    Last edited by John.Michael.Kane; June 14th, 2006 at 04:27 AM.

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

@SD-Plissken:
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I'm interested in working together with anyone who's willing to to create a page that explains concrete differences between Gnome and KDE.
    I don't know, based on experience, no matter how objective and unbiased an article is, the words "difference", "compare", "GNOME", and "KDE" often has the tendency to call in trolls from every corner of the world. But you're right, it doesn't need to end up like that. That's why I said I wish it wouldn't.

@aysiu: is there a better word than "comparison" for what you're trying to do? If I understand correctly, you're probably talking about which things can be done in both KDE and GNOME and how to do them, or which features found in GNOME have an equivalent in KDE, and vice-versa? Because the word "comparison" tends to bring up the notion of comparing which one is better. I mean, that's what comparing means right? Most people will come in with the prejudice/preconceived notion that the page/article will be talking about stuff like "usability", "customization", "easier", etc. And we all know how biases can affect or ruin how you read things.

I don't know... I'm racking (is that the right term?) my brain for a more appropriate term... But if we can't come up with a better word, I guess "comparison" would be ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

here are some links together with selected conclusion snippets. i chose them because they are reasonably balanced. some parts are not totally up to date.

If you haven’t got it yet, KDE has more stuff, but presents it badly and Gnome has less stuff, but presents it very well.
    http://richiejp.wordpress.com/2006/0...rence-between/

------------------------------------------------------

What is the difference between KDE and GNOME? There are several differences and similarities.

1. Both systems are based on CORBA networking. GNOME arguably follows a slightly more standardized version of it. GNOME uses Orbit. KDE has their own request broker, MCOP. While they may sound like geek to most, what it means is that both are network aware and transparent to some degree or another. A lot of networking tools seem to perform evenly between KDE and GNOME, IMHO GNOME handles it a smigin better.

2. Both are designed to provide a standard API, to make writing programs easier It can be argued that KDE has the lead here with Qt. (As it can be ported to Qt/Windows. That's really moot, since MS removed native crossplatform POSIX support from Windows, so 9/10 of the rest of the code wont work anyway.) GNOME uses GTK, which may be a bit rougher to code in but serves the same purpose. When the chips are down, GTK is probably used more opensource than Qt. Qt is almost exclusively used for KDE or KDE applications. GTK is not. So GTK applications tend to run on more machines, without extra installs versus Qt. Sorry guys.

3. There are applications out there that are neither KDE or GNOME. In my experience, GNOME has less issues with them, and running with KDE apps, than KDE does running with a GNOME or neutral application. KDE doesn't like to play as nicely with the other children in the sandbox. But the last few years and versions of KDE have seen great improvement in that area.

4. In terms of integration and data sharing between applications, KDE is the leader. At lot of KDE programs cut and paste easily. GNOME2 though, has been catching up fast. Most consider this important. I don't. X mouse paste, the paste mechanism bult into X (3rd/middle button paste), works just as well in either environment, and is faster. GNOME 2.12 promises a new level of application integration, release date to be Sept 7. I'm taking the wait and see.

5. In terms of speed, KDE is faster on most prebuilt versions. Current versions of both run about the same on my machine, with GNOME a touch slower. KDE provides less to load, hence is a tad quicker. In GNOME's defense, they provide a wider range of internal support for application libraries/protocol standards.

I suspect it's as much because KDE is compiled better for some distributions and that the GNOME basics have more libraries than KDE. If I compiled GNOME myself, I'd bet the performance would be closer. Even unoptimized as my install currently is, the difference is not worth mentioning. Whether it is for you depends on who made your OS installer.

6. In my opinion GNOME has the advantage in DRAG and DROP on it's menu systems and general interface, which is WAY ahead of KDE last I saw, admittedly last June or July Bad part, GNOME doesn't come with a menu editor in the last version, but that will be fixed in the 2.12 release in Sept.

7. The background sound server for GNOME - to make sounds for open and closing windows, seems to have problems with older programs. At least for me. XMMS in particular. I think that as much to do with my running some BETA software and XMMS configured to use an obsolete sound driver, as it is a bug in GNOME. If anyone knows a definate answer, shout! I don't need noise for opening a menu or window. I always leave the sound server off. This does NOT affect media players, etc - which play great, just window sounds.

8. Although KDE is well received by programmers, GNOME is the preferred environment the the majority of UNIX OS makers: Novell, Sun, Debian, and RedHat just for starters. So the normal interface you will see on their workstations is GNOME. KDE can be installed as an option, though.

The reason for this was Qt, the core library for KDE. Up until '99-00, Qt was completely proprietary opensource, and that did not sit well with most programmers and OS providers. Many begged KDE to switch libraries to a less restricted one. KDE refused, but to their credit eventually managed to get TrollTech, who created Qt, to release it under the GPL with a conditional license,and guarantee it to an opensource foundation. There are few or no opensource applications using Qt on Windows because it is still proprietary for many uses. GTK, the core for GNOME, has no such restrictions so GTK is preferred for programs that may be ported.

Otherwise, they serve pretty much the exact same purpose. Both perform equally well. Often, it's a matter of taste. I find KDE garish, and Windows-like - with more form over function.

GNOME is more function over form, but the form is good looking.
    http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread29024.html

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9305&page=1
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; June 14th, 2006 at 04:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Fenyx everyone's allowed to disagree. I guess it's just how it's done that causes issues sometime. as to the kde/gnome comparison screenshot/ect I would hope to see aysiu use what he has as the foundation, and build from there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ComplexNumber, most of that stuff will make no sense to new users. I know when I was a new user last year, I didn't know the difference between QT and GTK. I still don't think I'd be able to give a hard-and-fast definition of each.

I'm talking about a resource that would primarily answer new users questions about "What's the difference?" and "Which should I use?" The page itself wouldn't make any recommendations of one as being better than the other. It would simply present "This is Gnome. This is KDE." What one user would see in the page as the "lack of customization" in Gnome, another will see in that same page as "the beauty of Gnome's simplicity." What one sees as the "bloat of KDE" in that page, another will see as "the easy-to-use GUI frontends KDE offers."

Of course, by showing, "This is how you do X in Gnome, X in KDE," the page would also secondarily and inadvertently end up as a sort of basic HowTo/orientation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'd be willing to help out in my spare time. I have gnome on my computer now and kde on another one. I think a good way to make the "comparison" would be to basically make one huge/well organized howto and show all the popular task with pictures and instructions of how to accomplish them.

People only expierenced in one or the other could still be helpfull if we just brainstormed a ton of task and had people who know how to do them in each respective interface make a wirteup following a similar form and then combined the 2 together.

Also if wanted thier could be a section full of user submitted screenshots showing the end result of GUI custimization and possibly how they got thier,

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast