Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Browsers off the beaten track Midori Seamonkey...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Internet Browsers off the beaten track Midori Seamonkey...

thank you Richard for all this excellent info

the route i showed worked fine on Oneiric but failed on Pangolin

The PPA you showed here works on Pangolin
    Last edited by shantiq; April 27th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    Also Seamonkey
    Only problem is the one in the repos does not work on recent Ubuntu versions. it is far too old

But SeaMonkey 2.8 can be downloaded as a tar.bz2 in many languages

So i found i had to do this to get it started

Unpack to home folder then
    Code:
    sudo mv seamonkey /usr/local
    Right click on desktop to create a launcher if on Oneiric enter Seamonkey in properties then command is
    Code:
    /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey
    Then to go to the net and find a logo ...
    Hey, Shantiq, I really want to thank you for posting this! I'm now on 12.04 and was having trouble running Seamonkey from my home folder. Now, I've followed your instructions to the dot and got it working from /usr/local/seamonkey/.

I just want to add a couple of things... To stick it in the Unity Launcher, I added alacarte (MainMenu) from the USC and that allowed me to make a launcher in 12.04 (Unity 3D). Then I started Seamonkey via the Dash and once it was running, I locked it to Unity's launcher on the left.

The other point is that we can find a bunch of icons here and I went with:
    /usr/local/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default.png

Once again, a big thank you

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maureenc View Post
    Hi Shantiq,

I've deleted the whole lot and started from scratch three times now and still won't launch......Although launcher is now on Desktop rather than in top toolbar.....

My launcher"properties" are exactly the same except that mine show 29 bytes.... But we won't squabble over that, will we!

I notice, however, that the other launchers don't have the full location, just the name "Midori %U" but I don't know what that means.... Doesn't work when I use that location instead anyway.

Permission is set for me and as executable.....

When you extracted yours from the TAR did you just do "extract here" from right click? That's what I did....

At least it's not giving an error anymore... Just not doing anything!

The reason I can't get any ppa updates or new software from those repositories is that work seems to have come to a stop on Ubuntu's Armel Deb dream.... Nothing is going into the repositories for this device anymore so my 0.4.2 version of Midori will be the last and Qupzilla will never make it at all!

Arch Linux has stopped developement on the AC100 too I think but there may be so work for other Nvidia/Tegra chips along the line that can be hacked.... I am hopeful....

I could try going for Precise but not sure I would be any better off and it takes so much effort to get something that resembles a working system up and running with so little info available.....

Shame.... The Toshiba AC100 is a neat device.....and very cheap!

ok Maureen lets start absolutely from scratch

when you see
    "Midori %U"
    that means you installed that one through the normal way [repository]

since here we are going from tar that does not apply/work

so let me break it down

1. first the download of the tar; i pick the british one here but of course take the one you need

2. open it and unpack to to home folder it will be named seamonkey by default

Once it is safely in home folder

Code:
    sudo mv seamonkey /usr/local
    [or where you wish it to be]

4. again create launcher method is good for most recent versions of ubuntu

Code:
    /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey
    in command in launcher

this time

PS thank you Vasa for feedback
    Last edited by shantiq; April 26th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans

Hi again Shantiq...

Thank you for explaining about the %U bit.... One less mystery in my Ubuntu world is always welcome!

I am currently on my fourth "starting from scratch" with Seamonkey.... He/She and I are becoming quite close friends... We may not yet understand one another.... But we have hopes... Well, one of us does.

I note that your link is to the 2.9 beta version? I have been downloading the 2.8 version in the assumption that it would be safer to do so?

Apart from the bit about using Nautilus Script Manager to create the Launcher, I did everything as per your instructions.... I then used the Main Menu option under Applications > Other > to create a new launcher with the same properties as yours.... I didn't think that would make any difference.... I think that is the way that Vasal did it too?

I have now downloaded the Nautilus Script Manager and will try to get to grips with it tomorrow.... At the moment it just sits there with nothing in the display telling me that scripts must first be installed in /usr/share/nautilus/scripts... But not how to get a script into it.... Am I supposed to use Gedit? Anyway.... Will check that out tomorrow... I don't think it is the cause of the problem.

The "desktop configuration file (application/x-desktop) with the seamonkey logo is exactly the same as yours.... apart from the number of bytes being 277.

But.... I don't think any of that makes any difference because... From everything I have read so far I believe I should be able to double click on the /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey shell file and it should run? It asks me if I want to run in terminal, display or run.... But when I select Run...nothing happens.... Which is what is wrong.... but why..... I have the right permission... I am the owner and it is set to execute.... But it doesn't.... No matter how much I plead and cajole.... Nada... Niet... Nothing....

In the folder there is also a "seamonkey-bin" which is also executable ("executable (application/X-executable)

I've just extracted the 2.9 folder and that doesn't run the seamonkey/seamonkey either....

I'm beginning to think this is yet another quirk of the Armel installation... Plus I am not running under Unity but using Gnome Session-Fallback.... But that shouldn't make any difference?

Thank you for your patience Shantiq

Beans
    Distro

ha well it might be the Armel thing

i too run on Gnome Session-Fallback since i LOathe U-know what

Best of luck with it all. No doubt it will become clear at some point
    Last edited by shantiq; April 27th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

faster route as indicated earlier on for SEAMONKEY this worked on Precise when the other route would not

Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C1289A29

CLICK ENTER

THEN ENTER THIS

echo -e "\ndeb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pro...la/mozilla/apt all main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null

==> get the deb

save the file to Downloads

Code:
    cd Downloads

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i seamonkey-mozilla-build_2.9-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    ShanArt

Beans

Hi Shantiq,

I tried that one yesterday and various other DEB downloads but get the same response when I try to install them "ERROR - WRONG ARCHITECTURE"

Problem is that this is not AMD64 or 386 or any of the normal ones but the NVIDIA TEGRA chip which is a completely different kettle of fish.

These links will give you some idea of what we have been trying to do:

http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/ac1...rsolar-22.html

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TEGRA/AC100

But Ubuntu has lost interest in the AC100 now so there has been no build work for months now....Meaning that the software that was already in the repos last year is all that we have/will have....

There is an old version of Seamonkey that I could install but it is 2.0.13 and full of bugs for which I will never be able to get any patches!

I could try installing Precise on here but from other AC100 forums it sounds as though it doesn't work as well as 11.10.... Video doesn't work at all and I doubt I would be much better off......Besides it has been such a difficult "birth" getting this far with the Tegra.

I think I will have to leave my "experminenting" as it stands and use this little machine as it stands now.... Most things work .... pretty fast.... It cost me very little to have a fully functioning "laptop" with all mod cons.... And it is so small and light that it fits easily into a handbag!

On the other hand there is some work being done on Puppy Linux still that may be interesting.... If I can face it, that is!

Cheers Shantiq,
    Mo

Beans
    Distro

now you talking

Problem is that this is not AMD64 or 386 or any of the normal ones but the NVIDIA TEGRA chip which is a completely different kettle of fish
    ShanArt

Beans

Just want to mention that I could update Seamonkey to 2.9.1 via the browser's internal update mechanism and so the update was a differential (delta) and small, less that 1 MB. That's great. My other browsers, Firefox and Chrome, installed via ppas, require downloading the full version whenever an update is available.

Beans
    Distro

yes Vasa the "MOnkey" is really quite a kicker

It is really growing on me and find myself there more and more
    Last edited by shantiq; May 2nd, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    ShanArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast