Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: complete total newb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: complete total newb

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman390 View Post
    ok awesome as long as i have a guide to help with the compling i should be fine and as in 2 u mean linux right bc i plan on keeping windows 7 for my games and work and all that good stuff and having my ubuntu for playing and testing stuff instead of a cd do you think putting it on a jump drive would work instead of a cd my burner is almost completely useless
    You can boot Windows and Ubuntu pretty easily. And yes, you can write an the Ubuntu ISO to a USB key. It will require a special program, though. The Ubuntu Web site has good instructions for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by rhss6-2011 View Post
    ... For the "total newb"... Any commands posted in a thread are for a terminal... Most ppl don't say that, so assuming you have zero knowledge in Linux Operating Systems or terminal consoles... Any command should be made in a terminal -- I think CTRL+F should open one...

--- And 3 partitions then...
    I thought it was Ctrl+T. It can always be accessed through the menu.

Beans

ok ctrl+f brings up the terminal and thats where i can access things that are in the repository correct? i been reading alot of stuff online lol trying to not blow up the forums with any more dumb questions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You can also access the software repositories from the Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic Package Manager. What version of Ubuntu are you running, by the way?

Beans

Do a google search of how to download and install Ubuntu. Do that before you do anything else. Get familiar with the process.

There is a ton of info out there for first timers, but it's better to get a handle on the process before you click that "Download" button.

You can run Ubuntu without installing it. You can install Ubuntu along side Windows so that you can remove it like you would any other program

Then do another search of things that you should do after you do after installing. Things like "10 things to do after installing Ubuntu." This will pull up even more good info.

Doing this beforehand will put you on the right track, make the process much easier, and save you much of the headaches experienced by those who rush headlong into the process.

GL

Beans

i was thinking doin 11.10 but i was advised 10 earlier so im not exactly sure atm im gonna research the differences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In reference to the AE1000 adapter issue (Assuming you still have the problem) here is a step by step guide on installing it on Ubuntu. As I was the same and had heaps of issues sorting it, but the below steps work perfectly.

Everything in the code tabs below are commands that you need to input into the terminal.

Code:
    wget http://blog.up-link.ro/files/2010_0915_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.2.zip
    Code:
    unzip 2010_0915_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.2.zip
    Now we're ready to build and install the driver:

Code:
    cd 2010_0915_RT3572_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.2/
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rt3572sta

Beans

the only issue is that im assuming in order for that to work i must be connected to the internet correct? the ethernet port on the back of my comp is inoperative.....but the rest will definitely be helpful in order for it to work....and i may be able to use my friends wireless adapter im not sure but at least i now have a step by step set up for it with the compling and everything thank you very much for that sir

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis6767 View Post
    Do a google search of how to download and install Ubuntu. Do that before you do anything else. Get familiar with the process.

There is a ton of info out there for first timers, but it's better to get a handle on the process before you click that "Download" button.

You can run Ubuntu without installing it. You can install Ubuntu along side Windows so that you can remove it like you would any other program

Then do another search of things that you should do after you do after installing. Things like "10 things to do after installing Ubuntu." This will pull up even more good info.

Doing this beforehand will put you on the right track, make the process much easier, and save you much of the headaches experienced by those who rush headlong into the process.

GL
    i have been checking out those posts as well as the youtube videos since ive been here on the forums and it is helpful im hoping to one day get away from windows and use ubuntu solely

Beans

Well if you want to know the version of Linux you are currently using, try the (terminal) command:

Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    Which should tell you in the Terminal - Ubuntu SOMETHING - for me it's currently Ubuntu 11.10 - not exactly true since I'm running XUBUNTU but that is irrelevant for us...

As far as asking "dumb" questions - that's what forums are for, finding answers to questions.
    ~The only dumb question is the one not asked~

And for the terminal... It was by mistake that CTRL+F opened a terminal. I meant to press CTRL+C but whatever...

Beans

well im currently in class so i am unable to do anything in class bc i am on a borrowed netbook when i get back home tonite i will DL ubuntu and attempt to get the wireless card to work and then ill be able to update every1 on whether or not i have successfully destroyed my computer or i got it working correctly lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast