Thread: Can I speed up my boot time and overall performance?

Beans

Can I speed up my boot time and overall performance?

Hi,

I run the latest ubuntu on an asus 1000hg netbook. I started with ubuntu 9 a while ago and have noticed that over time with version upgrades that boot up and shut down times are longer and when running ubuntu, the responsiveness of the netbook is slower. I only use the netbook to browse the web and watching youtube videos is the hardest work it does. I do have samba installed to allow me to connect to a windows vista pc when both machines are running.

Is there anything I can do, maybe a few tweaks, to get my netbook back to it's speedy old self? I'd like to stick with ubuntu but maybe with the march of time and technology ubuntu isn't the right o/s?

Help and advice is much appreciated,
    nictu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Can I speed up my boot time and overall performance?

I would recommend doing a fresh install of the latest version (or wait a while till 12.04 comes out). Upgrading leaves a lot of stuff around that you don't need, which can cause slow downs. You might also look into Xubuntu or Lubuntu. They are basically Ubuntu with a different desktop (XFCE and LXDE respectively). They are lighter and will probably run a faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Profiling should help with boot times. As for shutdown being slow I suggest RAM upgrade AND the great advice provided by dniMretsaM. A clean install helps a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    I would recommend doing a fresh install of the latest version (or wait a while till 12.04 comes out). Upgrading leaves a lot of stuff around that you don't need, which can cause slow downs. You might also look into Xubuntu or Lubuntu. They are basically Ubuntu with a different desktop (XFCE and LXDE respectively). They are lighter and will probably run a faster.
    +1
    I am very happy with Lubuntu 12.04 because of its ultra light-weight and fast desktop environment. It makes it possible to play high definition video on my fairly old computers.

Beans

Thanks to all for the info. Lubuntu looks like a good idea.

Thanks again,
    nictu.