Thread: How do I install Xubuntu from wubi?

Beans

How do I install Xubuntu from wubi?

I found that Ubuntu ran really slowly, so I did some research and found xubuntu, which is supposed to be slightly faster.

So I downloaded an iso image and ran the existing wubi I had to try an install xubuntu.

However, there was no option for installing xubuntu.

So how do I install Xubuntu from wubi?

Specifications:
    I am running Windows XP SP3

Virtuality314

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do I install Xubuntu from wubi?

Place same release of wubi.exe with the xubuntu ISO into the same directory. Remove any Ubuntu CD/USB from the computer.

Beans

Thank you, that worked perfectly, all I had to do was delete the ubuntu iso

EDIT:

Wubi keeps on hanging on the Creating Virtual Disks part...I have seen some other forums but none of them help me...What should I do?
    Last edited by Virtuality314; April 21st, 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuality314 View Post
    Thank you, that worked perfectly, all I had to do was delete the ubuntu iso

EDIT:

Wubi keeps on hanging on the Creating Virtual Disks part...I have seen some other forums but none of them help me...What should I do?
    Is that still within Windows? Does the log file give any indication of what's happening?

It's a good idea to run chkdsk and defrag (if required).

Beans

OK, so this is what happened in the end.

I mounted the ubuntu iso onto Virtual Clone Drive. Upon running, I got the option to install from live cd, install from within windows or to find out more about ubuntu. I chose to install from within windows.

The wubi installer came up and I started the installation process. As usuall, it froze upon creating virtual disks.

Out of curiosity, I restarted my computer and chose the ubuntu option from the os choices menu. It started to complete the installation process (weird, as the installation hadn't actually been done properly) but I quit the installation. Upon doing this, the "Install Ubuntu" option appeared on the screen, as if I had started up a live cd. I clicked on it and the installation completed.

A while later, I did the same thing with Linux Mint (unfortunately had to uninstall ubuntu) and found the installation to be much more helpful. It even allowed me to resize and create partitions.

As a result, I am now on Linux Mint, which I think is slightly better than ubuntu as it has all the functionality of ubuntu plus a more elegant look.

I am sorry Ubuntu, I must leave you...Linux Mint has won me over...We are going to settle down in Mint land, where the only plants are mints and the animals are known as Polo and Mentos... =D

Virtuality314

EDIT: I forgot to add that wubi actually installs much quicker on a partition with no files on it...It only took me 5 minutes to install Linux Mint instead of the usual 1 hour.
    Last edited by Virtuality314; April 23rd, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wubi is not intended to install on a separate partition (or make new partitions). It uses virtual disks. I'm really not sure what happened to you, but it's not normal. And when you installed linux mint you did a normal install (not comparable to the wubi install).

But it sounds like you've found your happiness in mint land, so... enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Place same release of wubi.exe with the xubuntu ISO into the same directory. Remove any Ubuntu CD/USB from the computer.
    Not working on Win7!
    Registered Linux user: # 396528

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mafsi View Post
    Not working on Win7!
    Since 12.10, Xubuntu was removed from Wubi by the request of the Xubuntu project lead. It's no longer possible to install Xubuntu, except with an elaborate workaround.

You can still use Xubuntu with 12.04.1 wubi.exe but that also requires a workaround to install due to a bug: only possible with wubi.exe 12.04.1 and xubuntu desktop iso 12.04.1 in the same folder.