Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbanning IP addresses with Artillery

Beans

Red face Unbanning IP addresses with Artillery

Hello, I am trying to run Artillery and I need to un ban some IP addresses. However, updating the banlist.txt will not un ban and IP nor will running their script. If I use the command from IP tables it work but if I restart the app it will re ban the IP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unbanning IP addresses with Artillery

I never have understood the point in banning IP's. If you have a good firewall, just let them scan. Who cares?
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    I never have understood the point in banning IP's. If you have a good firewall, just let them scan. Who cares?
    I bet you never run any servers. If not, lamers will be happy to visit your server to plant as C&C.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wacky_sung View Post
    I bet you never run any servers. If not, lamers will be happy to visit your server to plant as C&C.
    Still doesn't answer my question of how banning an IP does anything whatsoever to stop this? If your firewall is setup properly, it shouldn't matter one way or the other.
    Occam's Razor for computers: Viruses must never be postulated without necessity -- nevius

My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Still doesn't answer my question of how banning an IP does anything whatsoever to stop this? If your firewall is setup properly, it shouldn't matter one way or the other.
    Banned IP help to prevent dictionary attack by brute force your login on your web application. This is totally nothing related to your firewall.

Beans
    Distro

Banned IP help to prevent dictionary attack by brute force your login on your web application. This is totally nothing related to your firewall.
    So make your password stronger. Also, make it so it times out after so many wrong attempts.

Basically what I am saying is that "banning IP's" is security through obscurity measure and is not worth doing in most cases.

My Blog

Beans
    Distro

So make your password stronger. Also, make it so it times out after so many wrong attempts.

Basically what I am saying is that "banning IP's" is security through obscurity measure and is not worth doing in most cases.
    I think you still cannot get my point. The OP may be providing a service to people such as web hosting,FTP, etc. He cannot set how people input their password by filter it with certain parameter. Thus this does not stop attackers to brute force OP clients password. Software like Fail2ban/others help to secure the web application from further dictionary attacks.I hope you can see it now.

Beans
    Distro

I think you still cannot get my point. The OP may be providing a service to people such as web hosting,FTP, etc. He cannot set how people input their password by filter it with certain parameter.
    Why can't he? Websites do it all the time.

Thus this does not stop attackers to brute force OP clients password. Software like Fail2ban/others help to secure the web application from further dictionary attacks.I hope you can see it now.
    It's a game of whack a mole. You ban one IP, another one pops up. I see no point really. It's best to secure your system so that these malicious botnets can't do any harm regardless.

Oh well, you see things your way, I see them mine. You prefer security through obscurity. I don't.

My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Why can't he? Websites do it all the time.

It's a game of whack a mole. You ban one IP, another one pops up. I see no point really. It's best to secure your system so that these malicious botnets can't do any harm regardless.

Oh well, you see things your way, I see them mine. You prefer security through obscurity. I don't.
    Are you aware that if you are running a server and very high potential that your clients have a massive accounts getting compromised especially using same method of attack.

You can refer to Zone-H.org for your mass defacement which can be applied using dictionary attack/exploits.

Beans

Did anyone ever answer this? I have the same problem as Juliia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast