Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAM question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: RAM question

Because chances are when you went to the brick-n-mortar store, they had the lower speed of 533 mhz. The Link I gave you has 667 mhz at I believe $30 USD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Because you have bought RAM that runs at 533MHz
    Cheesemill

Beans

ok thx i'll look into this

Beans

so i check and it says PC2-5300 on the box of the ram.
    So is that the speed?
    do i need pc2-6400?

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yes if you want to upgrade the bus speed you will want to go from the 533 mhz to the 667 mhz. I posted the link to the faster RAM in an earlier response to you pertaining to crucial.com. Depending upon what stores you have, you might not be able to purchase the faster RAM in your area. If not you have the trusty World Wide Web at your fingertips.

Beans

the specs on the ram you linked is this
    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •
    what indicates that it is faster?

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ddr2-667 -> it will run at a 667mhz clock rate instead of the 533mgz with your current memory. I didn't look at any of the specs for your motherboard, but I'm assuming the others did and that it support 667mhz without you needing to overclock.

Again, this is just memory speed. You will only notice a small difference. You are not going to get some big jump in performance. Going to 2gb from 1gb is where the most of your performance increase is going to come from, and as I explained way back at the beginning of your thread, it won't be that obvious, no big jump in the apparent speed of your computer. Plus, as I also mentioned, you're not going to see that 533 change, nor your CPU speed change. Changing your memory to ddr2-667 will provide a little improvement and the number you are watching will change to 667 - but remember, it's not changing the speed of the CPU or the rest of your computer. There may be the appearance of a neglibable speed increase in your apps.

Dave

Beans

i see. so instead of upgrading ram, is there anything i could do?
    someone told me to upgrade to an ssd, but that's a bit pricy
    or is it that my motherboard is really limiting me to speeding it up at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The EeeBox computers are fairly low performance so there isn't much you can do.

You can't upgrade the CPU or GPU. You now have extra RAM in case you need it (probably don't really, Ubuntu is pretty efficient).

The SSD will make a marked difference in the amount of time spent waiting for things to load. Even a low capacity one like 64 gigs should be good, as long as it is decent quality (NOT Kingston)
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast