Thread: Need simple CAD program (maybe like Claris CAD?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Need simple CAD program (maybe like Claris CAD?)

Hi,
    after trying for quite some time to find something, that fits my needs I write this post.
    At work we use Macintoshs. But lately we get quite upset with this system. I have been using Linux for 2 years at home and suggested to switch to Linux. But one big problem (maybe the only) is that I can't find a nice CAD program. Does anyone here know Claris CAD. It is an OS 9 application (it does not run under OS X) and does exactly what we need: simple 2D technical drawings. I tried all kinds of programs but they did not work for me.
    I would be happy to try any suggested programs or if anyone knows an easy way to get an OS 9 app running this would be nice, too.
    By the way "Claris CAD" is discontinued and hence free for everyone (if I am not completely wrong) .
    Thank you
    Birk

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Need simple CAD program (maybe like Claris CAD?)

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Graphics/CAD/

Disclaimer: I haven't used any Linux CAD software, so I have no idea what's good and what isn't.

Edit: QCad looks like it may be suited to your purposes, however it's about 30 bucks. And remember, I know nothing.

Edit again: Correction, getting qcad from the company cost %30, but it also available for free in the Ubuntu repositories.
    Last edited by eqisow; June 13th, 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the fast reply. (This was faster than I was able to type the question)
    Unfortunately QCad did not seem to do the job I wanted. For example I was not able to mark objects and move them arround, by simple drag and drop. QCad was the best program for linux I could find though.

Birk

Beans

I have used Claris Cad for years and now run it on a G5 os 10.4 and on a G3 with os 10.3. To do this, the os 9.2 runs in the classic mode. If I remember correctly os 9.1 will not run the files until you upgrade to 9.2. I'm also moving the cc dwgs to Ashlar "graphite" (2d) which imports the cc files very well. To review the cc files on a pc, I have to move them as a 2d file to Ashlar's "Cobalt" (3d), and pc's can read them as 2d files. Kind of a long way around but it is easier than redrawing them. I have been told Turbocad will read the cc files but I have not tried it.

Dwayne