Thread: Doesnt the "Kill process" window have unique ID?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Doesnt the "Kill process" window have unique ID?

Hi all, I am on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, using Gnome 2.
    Whenever one application "might" be problematic so that I might want to "kill" it, I normally open a "Kill process" window for that, selects "Always on top" and "Always on visible workspace". Then, even if the main System Monitor window seems inactive, it is still possible to minimize it (annoying that it is not possible to use it with such "Kill/Stop" dialogs open, btw), and I just do that so that both windows gets minimized. Works well. If the problematic application needs to be forced off, I can get to that Kill window quickly. This is especially useful if having for example a sporadic memory leak that triggers an uncontrolled memory usage so that the computer almost stop responding. Unless such a window is already available, it can take 20 minutes just to get to the System Monitor, find the process, open such a window, if the computer is racing along into the black hole of a memory leak.

However: here is the question:
    I would like to set Compiz to automatically detect such "Kill process" windows and apply the "Always on visible workspace" and "Always on top" options so I dont have to do that each time. This seems not possible, no title or ID on those windows? And even if possible, would such an ID change each time, or could a "kill process" window for just "application-A" be autodetected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Doesnt the "Kill process" window have unique ID?

If you are referring to the kill dialog in gnome-system-monitor, then the kill dialog has the same name as the main one, different type however. So you can use the Windows Rules plugin and add this
    Code:
    (type=Dialog) & name=gnome-system-monitor
    to Non minimizable windows, Above and Sticky. Note that when you minimize the main windows the dialog will get minimized also, so you don't need to minimize the main window, just keep it below the windows you're focusing.
    Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Doesnt the "Kill process" window have unique ID?

Yes, thanks. That works. Do such dialogs have "Window ID"? Will it be different each time, or can one particular application's Kill-Process dialog be identified across sessions?