Thread: Is there any good desktop recorder in ubuntu

Beans

Question Is there any good desktop recorder in ubuntu

I download a program called Desktop recorder. It never record a video smoothly, can't understand if the problem is with the software of the os(ubuntu). Is there any good desktop recorder...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Is there any good desktop recorder in ubuntu

there are a coupple of them. and there is even a Wink but a bit older version.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unfortuanatily most screen recording tools in ubuntu are pretty pathetic. My favorite however is kazam: https://launchpad.net/kazam

It isn't available in the normal repos at the moment, so you need to use the PPA.

Also, a few weeks ago, I needed to do some screencasts of minecraft, which I've found that the only recorder that really stays smooth at high loads is ffmpeg. So, I wrote a basic (and probably very nooby) script to record the desktop as well as a basic GUI to offer some configuration.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# Zenity frontend to using ffmpeg as a screencasting tool

CRES=$(xdpyinfo | grep dimensions | awk '{print $2}')
    let DTHREADS=$(lscpu | grep CPU\(\s\): | head -1 | awk '{print $2}')/2

FPS=$(zenity --title=FFScreenCast --entry --text='Enter Desired Framerate:' --entry-text=30)
    THREADS=$(zenity --title=FFScreenCast --entry --text='Enter Number of Threads to Use:' --entry-text=$DTHREADS)

DEST=$(zenity --title=FFScreenCast --file-selection --save --confirm-overwrite --filename=recording.mkv)

ffmpeg -loglevel quiet -y -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r $FPS -s $CRES -i :0.0 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -crf 22 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -ab 126k -threads $THREADS "$DEST" &

RECPID=$!
    zenity --title="FFScreenCast - Recording..." --info --text="Recording to $DEST\nRecording at $FPS Frames Per Second\nUsing $THREADS threads for ffmpeg\nPress OK to finish recording..."

kill $RECPID
    just save that to something like record.sh on the desktop, then go to properties->permisions and check the box "mark as executable" then just double click it and choose run.

But, unless you are recording gameplay, kazam is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Might help if we knew what you were trying to record? DVD's, youtube, or what.
    I noticed someone mentioned gaming and I can't speak to that. But for normal stuff I've had great luck with
    Firefox Download Helper, Thoggen DVD Ripper, VLC player and so on.

Morhin

Beans

ok, thanks guys, i appreciate your help, i will try them.