cpu jumps to 100 percent

hp p4 2.8ghz ht
    2.5 gigs of ram
    ubuntu 10.04

running only Firefox and cpu will jump from 7-8 percent to a drastic 100 %

any ideas ?

Beans

Re: cpu jumps to 100 percent

When does it do it ..... running system monitor as Firefox starts up - you will see 100 %

But as everything loads in - then after this it will or should drop ....

are you saying it stays at 100 % constantly after that .....

Check which processes are running and do a screen shot ..... if its continuously 100 %
    after everything is loaded in .....

HTOP may help too to check things ..... but System Monitor may be ok ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If I had to guess, I would say that you visited a web site which had Flash content, probably several of them. You probably also have multiple tabs open.

I've run into this problem using both Firefox and Chromium. If you open several tabs, you end up with lots of Flash running. For reasons that aren't clear to me, Flash uses significant amounts of CPU power even when it ISN'T showing you a video.

One good thing about Chromium is that it runs every process in a separate thread, and has its own task manager. You can go into Chromium's task manager, select just Flash, and kill it. You'll get a little sad face where there were videos running, but at least you won't crash your browser or, worse, your computer.

And if you want to reload a page with Flash content, Flash will start up again without the overhead. At least, for a few minutes!

Beans

good point the flash video slipped my mind it is extreme how much cpu power that takes up. To some up closed firefox cpu dropped to around 2 % just have to be more mindful lol
    thanks guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ladasky View Post
    One good thing about Chromium is that it runs every process in a separate thread, and has its own task manager. You can go into Chromium's task manager, select just Flash, and kill it. You'll get a little sad face where there were videos running, but at least you won't crash your browser or, worse, your computer.
    Although Chromium/Chrome has separate process for tabs, Firefox and Opera also have separate process for plugins. So all you need is to open Systen Monitor and kill plugin-container and operapluginwrapper-native respectively.

Additionally, is a good practice to block plugins and only click-to-play the elements you need. You can do that with Flashblock in Firefox. Firefox 14 have this option built-in, which can be enable through advanced configuration. Opera has this feature built-in as well. Open "Preferences >>> Advanced >> Content" and tick the option "Enable plugins only on demand".

Another feature available in Firefox is the option to load tabs on demand. If you use that feature, then tabs won't be loaded when you start Firefox until you click them. To activate that, type about:config in the address bar, then search for browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand, then double-click it to make it true. Firefox 12 also has an option to load pinned tabs on demand. The preference responsible for that is browser.sessionstore.restore_pinned_tabs_on_demand

Beans

I wonder if

kill plugin-container

Should be made a option on the Firefox menu .... as I too have killed this many times
    using HTOP .... once it grabs hold of a lot of the resources ....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

killing plugin-container does not work, any other options?
    Isa Dsouza
    crystalclearcontent.cu.cc
    Sell Out—Never; Sold Out—Always!