Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HP Photosmart c524

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HP Photosmart c524

Makes me feel proud that I used the same printer for seven years. At the end it just printed random noise no matter what reset/fixes I did.
    MS skill level -- I press buttons and stuff happens
    Linux skill level -- I copy and paste into the terminal and stuff happens!
    Mac skill level -- Wear a black turtleneck and stuff happens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@SemiExpert I have had good luck with HP's, in home use and work environments. Had one HP printer last roughly 7-8 years before it just wouldn't print anymore, kept buying the refill kits and it kept printing.
    The official HP ink is more expensive than if you buy refill kits or the ink from 3rd party like your nearest Microcenter. And as far as the really obnoxiously large printer drivers, just download the smaller 15-20 MB drivers from the webpage for that specific model on HP's website, they usually always offer the obnoxiosly large 150-250MB full driver download as well as just the small driver only download.

But I agree, all the other stuff is just crap. All I want to do is print, and a driver should do just that, help me print, not make calenders and birthday cards for my granny on her 90th birthday. All that crap just slows down the computer and takes FOREVER to install it and uninstall it for that matter.

At one of my previous jobs, I got the office to switch to Brother laser printers, since the cost was much cheaper for toner than HP or any other brand, they've been working great and the driver cd lets you install the printer off a network location if the drivers are on another networked comptuter, very nice and well thought out. Don't know how they work with Linux though, never tried that. But on Windows I have nothing bad to say about any of the Brother laser printers, the all-in-one printer-fax-copier-scanners all worked very well. So if you don't like paying for HP, try Brother next time.
    Last edited by ledzepjes; April 22nd, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

oh, and one more thing, at work we had some Lexmark printers, just under 50 or so personal printers, and if we came across a computer with XP and tried to upgrade to Windows 7, just by transferring files, the transfer would fail or lock-up if the computers had any Lexmark drivers installed. We'd have to uninstall the driver and completely remove anything saying Lexmark from the registry before it would work

another reason NOT to be a cheapo and buy Lexmark's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12